584,841 active members*
4,437 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

UB1 Wiring Questions

Hi All -

Got a couple of questions, and rather than bother CNCRoom / vrasak privately, I thought I'd post here and make the answer public knowledge!

First up - I've got a few LED switches used to control various things. One of the switches is the Limit override button which I've used a UB1 output to light up only when the hard limits are triggered - I've followed the manual religiously, the diagrams always use a +24V pin from the UB1, load, then Y3XX input pin to 0V. I'm now at the stage of pulling this button out to a remote control panel - It would be significantly easier if I could use a +24V line not from the UB1 - is that an issue? The +24V line is from the same +24V PSU that powers the UB1 (and common electronics sense tells me it should work absolutely fine) but I just wanted to check.

Second - using these outputs to power external relays (see link below). Can I just connect them without risk of back EMF damaging the UB1 or do I need to use some type of protection (e.g. reverse bias diode?) - I'd plan to go from +24V to A1, A2 to UB1 Y3XX.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/non-l...elays/7943771/

Third - Probing via grounding method. I'm new to the probing game - never set one up before, so forgive me if I'm being ignorant. Essentially I think its just a switch circuit running between X1XX to a touch plate on the bed, then connecting a 0V crocodile clip to the bit. The circuit is made when the bit touches the touch plate - please correct me if I'm wrong. The problem here is that my spindle is grounded, as is the frame of the CNC - Doesn't that mean I'll be grounding the 0V of the PSU? I thought that was a bad thing... Is there something I'm missing?

Fourth Question, while I've got your attention, is grounding in general (not UB1 related at all). I'm using a stainless steel gland plate, so all the screens of my CY cables out of the electronics cabinet are common here just by screwing the socket in. I'm also using some shielded CY cable inside the cabinet to take those lines from the gland plate to the drivers. My plan is to only ground each CY cable at one end, which may as well be this gland plate, and then run that back to the incoming earth. Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks!

Re: UB1 Wiring Questions

1. Yes you can wire your inputs with external 24vdc supply. However, "Y" ports are outputs, not inputs. Inputs are "X". See page 12 figure 10 (a). You need to use inputs X310-315.
    2. I think I read on a forum / thread somewhere that a diode is recommended. In practice, I have used the outputs to control relays similar to the one linked without adverse effect.
    3. My machines are different, as I float the 0VDC. So the probe is a simple switch (NPN) to the mentioned input. Have you checked to see if the spindle shaft has continuity to ground. Sometimes the shaft is isolated because of the bearings. I would think that if the bit has continuity you may have to devise an alternative method.
    4. If I understand correctly you are describing a star ground, so yes. All grounds to one location, shortest path possible and then to earth.

Brilliant, Thanks Jmhx2. That will save me some wires on the control panel routing

1) Oops. Yes I meant to say output pin. I'm talking about using the output to light the LED on the switch, rather than take the input of the switch.

2) Very good to know! Thanks

3) I haven't - I've only checked the spindle body. Good point - I'll check that now.

4) Sorted!

1. I thought that may be what you were doing. In that case, I think on the output I would install a fuse of less than 70mA.

I'm using relay boards like this.
    https://www.amazon.com/NOYITO-8-Chan...3411478&sr=8-3
    They have diode's built into the board, and it's hard to beat the price.

You can power your LED's using a relay board like this, and using the UB1 to switch the relays on/off, rather than powering the LED's from the outputs. That's what I'm doing with my lighted switches.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

On your second point, did you end up adding a diode? What do you mean by reverse bias? On the diodes i have the stripe goes towards positive.