585,737 active members*
4,543 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: CNC routers

CNC routers

I am looking at getting into CNC routing and was wondering what people might suggest for my first table... I am only looking at doing wood working right now and this would be just a hobby so nothing to expensive.. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Re: CNC routers

Size counts. What do you need?

Don

Hi, for a grand you won't get better or cheaper than a 6040 on EBAY, and it's ready to go right out of the box...... just add water and stir....LOL.
    Ian.

We will need more information. For example do you wish to build or buy? Second the size of the machine is extremely important. If you have decied upon a size that should be your first task. Small machines can be significantly easier to build but do realize thst some costs are fixed.

There are other things to consider if you want to DIY a machine. Here is a quick list:
    1. What resources do you have for working with wood, aluminum and steel?
    2. A very large machine can benefit from having access to a machine shop so you need to consider local availability of such setvices.
    3. Are there local suppliers of the required materials to do a build? Having to ship in a lot of materials can add on the frustrations and expenses associated with a build.
    4. Do you have machine tool building experience? Every little bit helps but dont let the lack of experience put you off.
    5. The same question with respect to electrical or electronics work? It helps us understand communications and makes it easier to offer the right help.

Since this is the DIY thread im assuming you want to build your machine. As such you will need to work up an acceptable budget as frankly that is a big factor in success.

Once you have a budget it is a simple matter to fit that budget to the possible machine builds. If what you can build is acceptable then you are good to go. If it isnt acceptable then you need to rebudget or look at alternatives. Your options are endless so generally something can be worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by plevab View Post
    I am looking at getting into CNC routing and was wondering what people might suggest for my first table... I am only looking at doing wood working right now and this would be just a hobby so nothing to expensive.. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Too expensive is highly variable. What is expensive to me is pocket change to musk or one of the internet billionairs. We really need a number here to even have a chance of saying it is possible. As above dize is an issue and most wood working benefits from a larger machine so a larger budget is required. You see where this is going.

A 12x12 inch machine can be very versatile for many users but a complete failure for wood workers doing general wood working. This may be the third time i have hit upon size in this thread but it is important that you huild the right sized machine for your needs. The smaller the machine the better for stiffness and quality at a low cost. The problem is most wood workers will laugh at a 12x12 machine if you try to tell them it is wat they need for wood work. The exception would be a wood working focused on minatures or engravings.

So while ive wasted more tgan a few words here im trying to get the pount acroos that you need to decide upon a size pretty early in the discusion. Size, size and size are everything when it comes to budget feasibility.

Yep I totally agree with you sir Wizard, a 6040Z CNC is only limited up to M4A1 parts and system while the 4ft X 8ft CNC can create Barret 50 parts hehehe just joking, a 6040Z CNC is a bad ass machine if you are very used to it, it`s only $900+ on Ebay US, with just 10 pcs. custom M4A1 lower receivers @ $200 each ROI (return of investment) is not an issue, you can create a wide product varieties with it, the only limitation is your imagination but the repetition work is boring though

Im not sure if this guy wants to build or buy. Either way you still need define what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by KH0UJ View Post
    Yep I totally agree with you sir Wizard, a 6040Z CNC is only limited up to M4A1 parts and system while the 4ft X 8ft CNC can create Barret 50 parts hehehe just joking, a 6040Z CNC is a bad ass machine if you are very used to it,
    Actually I've never seen one myself, however 6040 reports are all over the place, some declare it junk others see it as a bargain. This might be due to multiple manufactures, i really don't know. There does seem to be a general agreement that the electronics suck on these machines.
    it`s only $900+ on Ebay US, with just 10 pcs. custom M4A1 lower receivers @ $200 each ROI (return of investment) is not an issue, you can create a wide product varieties with it, the only limitation is your imagination but the repetition work is boring though
    On a serious note there is a lot of good that can come from building your own machine. The learning process and completely understanding your machine is very valuable. If the OP is of the right mind for a build then id suggest going for it, not so much for the machine but all the side benefits that come along with the build.