584,817 active members*
4,719 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Machine storage

This is a little generic but I have a question for the guys with machines in their garages.

Is their anything special that needs to be done to protect the machines? I'm looking at a partner 1 and it would need to be setup in my detached garage.

Re: Machine storage

Number one thing is watch for times of the year when air dew point or humidity can get higher than the temperature of the steel.It will quickly rust under these conditions. Several solutions depending on your location and the building. 1 keep machine oiled. 2 heat the building. 3 run a dehumidifier 4 run an air conditioner

Thanks Karl, good point, more so with the computer and drive cabinet I can assume? I've had OK luck with my wood working tools which are in a separate area only had one horrible instance of a wild unpredictable swing where everything was coated in water when I got home years ago.

A side question, what is the height of the machine with the Z lowered and blocked off.

Trying to work out the last of the logistics in my head. Pass through a standard 7' garage door I'm assuming, but how much room.

I suspect you've got it figured out already regarding the height but I was on the phone with Sportybob today and he said they'd fit through a 7' door.

Regarding storage, if you can't run a heater or dehumidifier, dessicant packs can be bought and stored inside the enclosure, or a tray of clay kitty litter can be used to pull moisture.

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner_CNC View Post
    I suspect you've got it figured out already regarding the height but I was on the phone with Sportybob today and he said they'd fit through a 7' door.

Regarding storage, if you can't run a heater or dehumidifier, dessicant packs can be bought and stored inside the enclosure, or a tray of clay kitty litter can be used to pull moisture.
    Thanks for the info. I was just kinda guessing they would fit based on a couple statements but its good to hear it confirmed.

Good tips on the humidity too. Hopefully soon it will be moved to a controlled building late this year but it'll be in the garage for the rest of the winter/spring/problem season.

I bolted a couple of 5 Watt heaters onto my lathe to keep it just slightly warmer than ambient. Seems to work.
    Actually, a couple of 10 W power resistors running at 5 W and mains-driven.

Cheers
    Roger

WD40 seems to work here in my humid location, all my metal tools are sprayed with WD40 before storage, and it`s been 3 years now, every time I take a glance on my tool bin they are still sparkling with chrome with no visible rust on it WD40 claims that it will protect metals for two years (24 months) on a storage bin or your money back works as advertised for me hehe