584,841 active members*
4,608 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach PathPilot™ > Path Pilot v2.0 Network (Samba) Share Not Accessible
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Path Pilot v2.0 Network (Samba) Share Not Accessible

Quote Originally Posted by kheston View Post
    After upgrading to PathPilot 2.0, I was no longer able to access my gcode folder over the network. The smb.conf settings Tormach uses are not compatible with Samba4 (it looks as though this new version came with the latest Linux Mint Tormach uses with PP). To fix, open a terminal from within PathPilot by pressing ctrl+alt+x and edit the smb.conf.share file in your home directory:

Code:
    cd ~
    nano smb.conf.share
    The "security = share" setting is the incompatible one. Change the file contents as follows:

Code:
    [global]
            security = user
            map to guest = Bad Password

# share config
    [gcode]
            comment = Tormach controller gcode folder
            path = /home/operator/gcode
            writeable = yes
            browseable = yes
            guest ok = yes
            force user = operator
            username = operator
    Save the file and reboot. Your network share should re-appear.
    Worked for me, No telling how long I would have been down without this post so Thanks

Somehow I've lost my network drive and now it asked me for credentials when I remap

If it asks for username and PW try guest and guest

That worked, only damn combination I didn't try, thank you so much Doug

Glad it worked. I just setup a new internet service and it asked me and luckily I had it in my notes from the first time...

Anyone have a trick for setting up a network share in windows 10 with a networked PP controller to move g-code?
    I see everything on my network but the mill. I can see the mill is connected to router and working but no way to connect to any windows 10 system.
    Any pointers would be great.

What version of PathPilot are you running?

Quote Originally Posted by old-cnc-geek View Post
    What version of PathPilot are you running?
    Current, I keep it updated. I'm thinking its windows 10 problem and some past windows update disabled some network functions. I have no workgroup anymore as mentioned here, or its hidden.

I would check your SMB settings in Windows 10. If you go to the control panel > Program and Features. Select the turn windows features on and off and then make sure that the SMB functions are checked. .

I have seen this effect network connections between Windows 10 and other SMB connections (Windows Server 2003 and 2008,etc).

Chris

Still found no way to get this working!
    Tormach posted a video on how to do this and it works for them. Perform the same setup on my machine and network and I get no connection and a smb error.
    I check the above setting and they are ok.

Any Ideas what Im missing? Should be simple to connect a computer to a network. "I have dozens of devices connected- this is only problem one" I see settings for drop box file service under admin, lol, never would use such things.
    But a simple file transfer in my home is not possible?

Make sure both you PP controller and your Win machine are using the same workgroup name. Typically they both default to "workgroup" but if you have changed it on Windows you need to change it on PP also ...

Quote Originally Posted by rdsi View Post
    Make sure both you PP controller and your Win machine are using the same workgroup name. Typically they both default to "workgroup" but if you have changed it on Windows you need to change it on PP also ...
    Default "workgroup" name is on all devices I have. No documented way to set or change this on pp.

I edit the configuration file "/etc/samba/smb.conf" and set the variable workgroup to whatever. As mentioned this variable should default to "workgroup = WORKGROUP" but this is where you would change it if you're using something else.

When using Samba everyone must be using the same workgroup name.

I thought Tormach added a method to modify this from within PP but cannot remember how - maybe some undocumented ADMIN command? Anyway, just open a terminal up and enter "$ sudo nano /etc/samba/smb/conf" to check/edit this variable.

Hey thanks Rdsi You were on the right track.

Tormach sent me a long list of things to do to get it working.
    Silly I spent countless hours trying to get this to connect. When all it takes is some simple instructions that could be in the user manual or other online documentation.

Another thing to keep in mind when networking multiple machines are the NetBIOS and hostname names. By default Tormach uses tormachpcnc for both & in standalone situations this is fine.

However, if you have multiple machines like both the mill & lathe, or some other combination, each machine needs to have a unique name. Even if you're running PP in a VM it will need a a unique name too. Otherwise you will have a problem if any two instances of PP are running with the default tormachpcnc and you have them networked together.

So I've been using the following for my machines & VM's: PPMILL, PPLATHE, PPDEV, PPVBOX1, etc. Typically I use all uppercase for the NetBIOS name & lowercase for the hostname. Yes, sometimes I have them all turned on.

Quote Originally Posted by rdsi View Post
    Another thing to keep in mind when networking multiple machines are the NetBIOS and hostname names. By default Tormach uses tormachpcnc for both & in standalone situations this is fine.

However, if you have multiple machines like both the mill & lathe, or some other combination, each machine needs to have a unique name. Even if you're running PP in a VM it will need a a unique name too. Otherwise you will have a problem if any two instances of PP are running with the default tormachpcnc and you have them networked together.

So I've been using the following for my machines & VM's: PPMILL, PPLATHE, PPDEV, PPVBOX1, etc. Typically I use all uppercase for the NetBIOS name & lowercase for the hostname. Yes, sometimes I have them all turned on.

Thanks for the note, Tormach also mentioned this. I must say Tormach tech support sent me perfect instructions to fix problem. +1 cookie for them.
    I had messed with this for last couple months off and on, wondering if it was my firewalls or what.
    Turned out some of the PP smb settings needed editing and the actual procedure for logging the drive was detailed correctly. 30 seconds later it was working just fine. Anyway I had a bunch of projects and even more files then normal and this usb thing was driving me nuts. Using the sneaker usb net also caused an error the other day. So I decided to figure out the problem, period. I have a fully hard wired home, garage that is all gigabit high speed plug and play. So I understand the tech.

Also a note on a line of text attached to email from tech support

Come See Us at FABTECH • Booth A6472 • November 11-14, 2019 • Chicago, IL
    Machines on display: 1100MX, PCNC 440, 15LSlant-PRO, PSG 612, AF50 Bandsaw, xsTECH Router and a new machine release!

It says new machine release.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    I must say Tormach tech support sent me perfect instructions to fix problem. +1 cookie for them.
    Any chance you could post those instructions here?

I'm currently struggling to get Windows 10 to recognise the PathPilot controller. I have the 2 machines wired directly via ethernet. PathPilot seems to be connected in the 'ADMIN NETWORK' dialogue, (although it's not connected to the internet in the 'Status' tab).

Windows 10 fails to Map Network Drive. The controller name and path are correct. I've tried turning the firewall off.

Page 2 of 2 12