584,874 active members*
4,970 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach PathPilot™ > Path Pilot v2.0 Network (Samba) Share Not Accessible
Page 1 of 2 12

Path Pilot v2.0 Network (Samba) Share Not Accessible

After upgrading to PathPilot 2.0, I was no longer able to access my gcode folder over the network. The smb.conf settings Tormach uses are not compatible with Samba4 (it looks as though this new version came with the latest Linux Mint Tormach uses with PP). To fix, open a terminal from within PathPilot by pressing ctrl+alt+x and edit the smb.conf.share file in your home directory:

Code:
    cd ~
    nano smb.conf.share
    The "security = share" setting is the incompatible one. Change the file contents as follows:

Code:
    [global]
            security = user
            map to guest = Bad Password

# share config
    [gcode]
            comment = Tormach controller gcode folder
            path = /home/operator/gcode
            writeable = yes
            browseable = yes
            guest ok = yes
            force user = operator
            username = operator
    Save the file and reboot. Your network share should re-appear.

Re: Path Pilot v2.0 Network (Samba) Share Not Accessible

When I try to write the edited file out, permission is denied.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenichel View Post
    When I try to write the edited file out, permission is denied.
    Interesting. The smb.conf.share should be owned by you, not sure why you're seeing a permissions error. Try:
    Code:
    sudo nano smb.conf.share

That solved the write=permission problem, but after saving & rebooting, PP 2.0 still can't see the shared file.

Run smbstatus to see if there are any problems:

Code:
    sudo service samba restart
    sudo smbstatus

Quote Originally Posted by kheston View Post
    Run smbstatus to see if there are any problems:

Code:
    sudo service samba restart
    sudo smbstatus
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails smbstatus.JPG  

Your screen shot is identical to what I see when I run smbstatus.

Once I saw there were no errors, I needed to hard-reboot my PathPilot machine before I was able to see the gcode share again.

Your screen shot is identical to what I see when I run smbstatus.

Once I saw there were no errors, I needed to hard-reboot my PathPilot machine before I was able to see the gcode share again.
    I've done that, but with no change in outcome.

That's no good.

The only other thing I can think of is to make sure the "Internet" button is clicked in the Status tab.

Fenichel, are you running PP2 inside VB?

If so you need to change your machine setting under Network “Attached to: NAT” to “Network Attached to: Bridged Adapter”

Also, I don’t really understand what the other posters are doing trying to do by modifying the user smb.conf (/home/operator/smb.conf) file directly. The system smb.conf (/etc/samba/smb.conf) file already has those statement in there & it really doesn't do any good to reiterate them in the user’s smb.conf. The user should make changes via the desktop Samba application – Menu->Control Center->Samba.

I think the confusion might be the predefined share setup by Tormach declares username: operator and the password: pcnc. If you don’t use these, the connection is refused. By the previous poster declaring “map to guest = bad password” instead of “map to guest = bad user” you get around having to use a password. Yeah it works but not the way it was intended to be …

By the way, if you’re running more than 1 PP controller on your local network you’ll need to change the netBIOS name also. Since I have 3 controllers they cannot all have the same name of TORMACHPCNC. So I’m using PPVBOX, PPLATHE and PPMILL – just a heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by rdsi View Post
    Fenichel, are you running PP2 inside VB?
    I am running PP2 both on my controller and inside VirtualBox, with different problems in the two environments.

On my controller ("PP2/native"), everything works except networking. The controller can see my LAN and claims to have a connection to it, but no other machine on the LAN can see the controller, so file exchange must be achieved by ferrying a thumb drive back & forth.

Inside VB ("PP2/VB"), I am building on an ova file that I got from @Steve303. The network setting is already Attached to Bridged Adapter.

The Settings display does not list the host's USB drives, so I can't choose one to be available from within PP2/VB. I could live with that (I had the same problem with PP1.9/VB) if I could get shared folders to work in PP2/VB (they worked fine in PP1.9/VB). The Settings/shared folders display looks right,

but in the file tab of PP2/VB I see only

I thought that sf_PathPilotSharedFolder might be a useful link to my designated shared folder, but no such luck. When PP2/VB opens it, it is (unlike my designated shared folder) empty.

The upshot is that PP2/VB is working for me, except that I can't get gCode into or out of it.

I am running PP2 both on my controller and inside VirtualBox, with different problems in the two environments.
    Can you check in both environments that you really have an Ethernet connection. I’ve noticed when installing on both my controller and VB that the a default Ethernet connections was not made. From the PP desktop go into "Menu->Control Center->Network Connections" and make sure there is an Ethernet connection bound to your MAC address. If not make one using the MAC address in the drop down box and leave everything else set to their default values. Click Save then reboot & check things out again. Sorry if I'm regurgitating something you already know.

Can you check in both environments that you really have an Ethernet connection. I’ve noticed when installing on both my controller and VB that the a default Ethernet connections was not made. From the PP desktop go into "Menu->Control Center->Network Connections" and make sure there is an Ethernet connection bound to your MAC address. If not make one using the MAC address in the drop down box and leave everything else set to their default values. Click Save then reboot & check things out again. Sorry if I'm regurgitating something you already know.
    In PP2/VB there is a MAC address where one should be. In the infrastructure accessible from PP2/native there is no Menu option.

In PP2/VB there is a MAC address where one should be.
    That's good.

In the infrastructure accessible from PP2/native there is no Menu option.
    Do you mean to say that your physical controller is not setup to boot into the desktop? If that's the case press the Ctrl+ALT+X keys to bring up a terminal and enter this command "nm-connection-editor". You should see a window like this:

If you have a connection then something else is not right.
    Can you access the internet from both controllers?

Do you mean to say that your physical controller is not setup to boot into the desktop?
    Yes.
    If that's the case press the Ctrl+ALT+X keys to bring up a terminal and enter this command "nm-connection-editor". You should see a window like this:

In PP2/native, What I get with nm-connection-editor is exactly like that, except that instead of Ethernet connection 1 mine has Wifi fenichel41a [fenichel41a is the SSID of my router], and instead of 3 minutes ago it says now. In PP2/VB, the corresponding items are Auto Ethernet and 2 minutes ago, from which edit gets me to a tab showing a MAC aqddress.
    If you have a connection then something else is not right.
    Can you access the internet from both controllers?
    I haven't tried to access the Internet from either controller. My only interest in connectivity is for moving gCode back and forth here.
    • I haven't given much thought to facilitating direct transfers between PP2/VB and PP2/native. My workflow centers on my Windows machine, and I'm content, at least for now, to deal with only transfers to & from Windows.
    • For Windows-to/from- PP2/VB, the reasonable file-transferring channel is a shared folder. That worked well for me with PP1.9/VB, but I haven't been able to get it working with PP2/VB. I've been following pertinent discussions in another thread, and I've been exchanging off-line messages with @Steve303, so far without success.
    • For Windows-to/from-PP2/native, a carried USB drive is usable, but a shared gCode folder would be slicker.

My only interest in connectivity is for moving gCode back and forth here.
    Understand, the internet test is just to see if your connection to your local network is working. Knowing this works means its just an issue with either the PP controller or your PC configuration.

As I mentioned before make sure your PP controller and PP simulator have different network names or don’t have them on at the same time. You can’t have 2 controllers both using the same network name TORMACHPCNC!

Also, hidden in the details is that the predefined PP share is using WORKGROUP as the workgroup name. This is the default workgroup name for Windows but if you setup Window with a different name then the PP share will not show up until both names are the same.

You can change the PP share workgroup name by editing the file “/etc/samba/smb.conf”. Look for the statement “workgroup = WORKGROUP” and change it to “workgroup = yourname”. There is no way to do it through the controller interface so you have to open up a terminal “Ctrl+Alt+X” and enter the command “$ sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf” to edit the file.

For both my mill and lathe I have them setup to boot to the desktop. I do so because I want access to my NAS and to run applications. As such I have mostly ignore Samba & the predefined gcode share but they do work.

Without really diving into your PP configuration files, local network/router/firewall, PC configuration/firewall, and such, I’m just about tapped out for any more suggestions.

Also, hidden in the details is that the predefined PP share is using WORKGROUP as the workgroup name. This is the default workgroup name for Windows but if you setup Window with a different name then the PP share will not show up until both names are the same..
    That's the issue. For security reasons, I don't use a workgroup. I will think about establishing one (named WORKGROUP, of course), but then I'd need to systematically unshare lots of folders, or make my LAN more secure. It might be worth it.

Thanks for your help.

After upgrading to PathPilot 2.0, I was no longer able to access my gcode folder over the network. The smb.conf settings Tormach uses are not compatible with Samba4 (it looks as though this new version came with the latest Linux Mint Tormach uses with PP). To fix, open a terminal from within PathPilot by pressing ctrl+alt+x and edit the smb.conf.share file in your home directory:

Code:
    cd ~
    nano smb.conf.share
    The "security = share" setting is the incompatible one. Change the file contents as follows:

Code:
    [global]
            security = user
            map to guest = Bad Password

# share config
    [gcode]
            comment = Tormach controller gcode folder
            path = /home/operator/gcode
            writeable = yes
            browseable = yes
            guest ok = yes
            force user = operator
            username = operator
    Save the file and reboot. Your network share should re-appear.
    Thanks a million for this kheston! I was extremely annoyed when I lost connection to my share after upgrading. After following your instruction all is well in the world again!

G.

Worked perfect for me also... Thanks so much for sharing.

Bringing this back to the top. Worked for me as well. Couldn't figure out why my Windows 10 system couldn't access the share anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12