584,861 active members*
4,717 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Cutting numbers in a circle? Advice needed! Use F-Engrave? If so what settings?

Cutting numbers in a circle? Advice needed! Use F-Engrave? If so what settings?

First let me say I am a total newb with CAD/CAM. I have mainly been using my cheap Chinese engraver for drilling printed circuit boards. The software pretty much shields you from the G-Code.

What I want to do is to build a hard drive POV clock like this.

The numbers on that disk are translucent and LEDs are illuminated behind them . at the appropriate time. What this guy did is to cut those numbers out by hand. My skills with a handsaw aren't all that great and I have this engraver so why not use it?

I need advice on how to cut these numbers. One thought I had was to paint a piece of plexiglass black then etch though the paint with the engraver. First I need to know if that will work.

If so my next need is to know exactly how to do this. I was going to use F-Engrave but don't know where to go from there. Should I use V-carve or Engrave? What bit should I use?

Playing with f-engrave in the past, I swear I was able to outline the characters but I can't seem to get that to work. Perhaps I am thinking of the Linux CNC example? Anyway if I could outline the characters, one thought there would be to route the outlines then scrape off the paint by hand.

That way I can use the bits I have on hand. I don't have much in the way of bits right now but open to buying more. I have a .25 inch flat bit and some of those small engrraving bits. The ones I am looking at now are 0.8 mm 30 degree. The 0.8mm is the width of the tip of th ebit.

Any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00014+%u002525282%u00252529.JPG  

Re: Cutting numbers in a circle? Advice needed! Use F-Engrave? If so what settings

Very easy with V-Varve to put text onto an arc or circle...

Re: Cutting numbers in a circle? Advice needed! Use F-Engrave? If so what settings

Do you mean V-Carve? Yes I know. I have already done it. What I need to know is what type of bit I might use to do what I want to do above..

I would also like to know the difference between V-Carve and Engrave.

Quote Originally Posted by spinnaker15136 View Post
    Do you mean V-Carve? Yes I know. I have already done it. What I need to know is what type of bit I might use to do what I want to do above..

I would also like to know the difference between V-Carve and Engrave.
    Small endmill maybe .020-025"? Using offset toolpath... .005" DoC...

Thanks. Can you help me on the offset toolpath part? How would I set that? What is DoC? Sorry I am a total newb on this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by spinnaker15136 View Post
    Thanks. Can you help me on the offset toolpath part? How would I set that? What is DoC? Sorry I am a total newb on this stuff.
    There's an icon symbolizing pocket cutting. You can choose raster or offset. Choose offset. DoC is depth of cut. Set the stepover to about 15-20% as these are small tools. I'd try 10ipm to start. Buy extra tools because they're cheap enough, and you'll break one. Or three...

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    There's an icon symbolizing pocket cutting. You can choose raster or offset. Choose offset. DoC is depth of cut. Set the stepover to about 15-20% as these are small tools. I'd try 10ipm to start. Buy extra tools because they're cheap enough, and you'll break one. Or three...

An icon in F-Engrave?? If not what application are you referring?

I do see an X an Y offset setting in General Settings.