584,837 active members*
5,460 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

GMT Standard or premium 6" vise?

I just bought a 1100 and curious what vise would be best or even if it matter at all. Budget is in mind and more so looking at if the extra $200 is worth the premium price tag. There is also the question of using having 2 4" vises instead of one 6". Parts I'll be making is mostly job shop for now but will eventually come out with my own stuff.

Re: GMT Standard or premium 6" vise?

Some thoughts.

First, as a general rule, always get the most flexible, biggest tool you can. You will never regret having more capacity. There are obvious exceptions, but most of us can't afford a range of sizes all at once, or multiple expensive accessories.

Glacern's quality may have changed. I have their 6" reverse vise (615r premium), bought years ago, and am delighted with it- but there have been some threads about quality dropping. Check around. And look at the Shars equivalent. The premium designation now apparently means that it's "CNC-style". That is, absolutely, worth it. The value is that one can set up the vise on its side. Every now and then, that's incredibly useful.

A 6" CNC style (ground all over) vise is the go-to workhorse for the 1100. I like the reverse version, because I can mount it parallel to X, with no overhangs or interference with the column or enclosure while keeping the solid jaw at the left hand side (which after probing makes both X and Y moves positive- which I find convenient). This mounting preference seems to be idiosyncratic; some of us love this, many more do not. The CNC version can hold work from 0 to >14" by moving the jaws. You'll also want some soft jaws; make them, or buy (often cheaper, but not from GMT).

4" vises are just too small for everyday job shop use in the 1100, in my opinion. I have two, and use them from time to time, but the vise that lives on the table is the 6". In fact, I frequently put a 4" into the 6", rather than change out. For a small part, it's quick. Note that I'm never running multiples- everything is prototype or one-off.

Glacern's price for the 4" and 6" premium vises are identical, at 600 bucks. Given that, I'd buy the 6" premium.

I have an 1100 and went with the GMT 5" standard vise for a couple of reasons. I felt that the 4" was too small and the 6" too large, and the 5" was only available in a "standard" version. Also, I want to add a second 5" vise in a side-by-side arrangement, and I felt that two 6" vises would definitely be too much. Plus, they are 30 lbs heavier. I haven't regretted it, and find the 5" standard to be accurate and reliable. It has a 12" capacity (when you reposition the jaws).

I know the standard advice is to get the biggest you can afford, but I prefer to think about the parts I'm making rather than the biggest vise I can fit on the table.

The reason is I make small parts and use a lot of work offsets. Two or three smaller vises work better for me than one large vise. I have two 5" vises on my 770 now, but I'll be getting a fixture plate in a month so I can load more small fixtures.

I went with the Glacern 6" Premium vise.
    Pros:
    * Machined square on all sides. This gives you more flexibility in setups. It can be used on the side or you can use extra long jaws to hold a tall part on side of the vise (requires some additional clamping)
    * 6" soft jaws are more readily available and cheap.

Cons:
    * Takes up more space than 5"
    * Heavy
    * Costs more

Mine works great, bought it in 2013. Can't speak to their quality today.

Quote Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
    I know the standard advice is to get the biggest you can afford, but I prefer to think about the parts I'm making rather than the biggest vise I can fit on the table.

The reason is I make small parts and use a lot of work offsets. Two or three smaller vises work better for me than one large vise. I have two 5" vises on my 770 now, but I'll be getting a fixture plate in a month so I can load more small fixtures.
    The other reason NOT to get the largest vise that will fit on the table is the weight. As I get older it becomes more of a problem to move a 60-pound vise on and off the table and my shop won't easily accommodate a crane. I also make small, mostly one-off parts, and have found that a 4-inch Kurt satisfies most of my needs.

I got the tormach 5" vise with the machine, but quickly ended up regularly using my old Kurt D675 instead. I've got lots of soft jaws for the Kurt along with Mitee Bite Talon grips. The 5" now lives on my manual Burke knee mill.

I also have the 6" vise, it weighs 80 plus pounds if memory serves me correctly, I use it for everything, never remove it.
    mike sr

Another +1 for the 6” premium. Bought one on black friday and love it. Hangs over a bit, but not a big deal.

I got a 6 premium

Good choice!

Quote Originally Posted by gunrunnerx View Post
    Good choice!
    You're suppose to say...horrible choice! Terrible way to spend $600 bucks.

The GMT vises are nice vises, but they are “expensive “.

I have 2 of the 5 inch CNC vises. The reason I went with the CNC vises is because I make several parts in which I have to drill a .100 diameter hole 4.500 deep in a piece of 1/4 X1.5 inch 7075 aluminum and to do that, I will turn one of the vises in its side so I can get the best hold on the part.

I know it works because I’ve done hundreds of these parts.

Only thing I don’t like about those vises is they only open 4 1/4 inches.