584,805 active members*
5,223 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Another mach3 USB motion card G31 code not working

Hi guys,
    I'm lost and appologize for the long post. I have rebuilt a lagun milling machine with mach3, akz250 usb motion card, and viper tune STEP2Linear with great success. I have built a small auto tool zero device based on a PCB. My set up has been working no problems for the last 3 years until my laptop crashed...of course no back up. New laptop, re installed Mach3 (liscenced to me) and reinstall the usb driver, redid all the settings motor tuning, inputs outputs, everything works perfect except...auto tool zero!
    - its the exact same set up...pin 5 is high and is connected to the pcb as the machine and tool are grounded. If I touch the tool with the pcb, the del goes out.
    I can machine fine...I just can't zero tool probe. Directly From the MIDI command line I get nothing either...for example:
    g1
    f12
    z0 (i get movement)
    g31 z1 or x1 or y1...nothing

if I switch the pin to active high ( or "x" active low if you wish) g31 gives me an error as the pin is already high when g31 is called...As expected
    from z0, g31 z.005 will give me the error "bla bla bla less than 0.01in" as expected. It seems to be working right.

So, I have reinstalled Mach3 and reinstalled the usb card driver. I have tried 3 other inputs with the exact same result. I have unpluged the probe and just run the pin high...still does not move. I have played with the debounce interval (in increment from 10 to 10 000) still nothing. I have, of course, edited the zero tool button: it resets DRO to 0, seams to skip the G31 line, and readjust Z according to my PCB thickness and final displacement I have programmed.

it use to work...What am I missing? Many Thanks
    Eric

Re: Another mach3 USB motion card G31 code not working

A lot of external motion controllers (especially from China) cannot handle the G31 instruction. End of story.
    The Ethernet Smooth Stepper handles it very well.

Cheers
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by ech2o2 View Post
    Hi guys,
    I'm lost and appologize for the long post. I have rebuilt a lagun milling machine with mach3, akz250 usb motion card, and viper tune STEP2Linear with great success. I have built a small auto tool zero device based on a PCB. My set up has been working no problems for the last 3 years until my laptop crashed...of course no back up. New laptop, re installed Mach3 (liscenced to me) and reinstall the usb driver, redid all the settings motor tuning, inputs outputs, everything works perfect except...auto tool zero!
    - its the exact same set up...pin 5 is high and is connected to the pcb as the machine and tool are grounded. If I touch the tool with the pcb, the del goes out.
    I can machine fine...I just can't zero tool probe. Directly From the MIDI command line I get nothing either...for example:
    g1
    f12
    z0 (i get movement)
    g31 z1 or x1 or y1...nothing

if I switch the pin to active high ( or "x" active low if you wish) g31 gives me an error as the pin is already high when g31 is called...As expected
    from z0, g31 z.005 will give me the error "bla bla bla less than 0.01in" as expected. It seems to be working right.

So, I have reinstalled Mach3 and reinstalled the usb card driver. I have tried 3 other inputs with the exact same result. I have unpluged the probe and just run the pin high...still does not move. I have played with the debounce interval (in increment from 10 to 10 000) still nothing. I have, of course, edited the zero tool button: it resets DRO to 0, seams to skip the G31 line, and readjust Z according to my PCB thickness and final displacement I have programmed.

it use to work...What am I missing? Many Thanks
    Eric
    Debounce should be 0

My be a good read of this, there my be something you are missing, you might have to try a different version of Mach3 also

Some have probing working with a M30

https://machmotion.com/cnc-info/g-co...Straight_Probe

In the real world G31 standard code is to skip cut
    Mactec54

Debounce does not affect the probe input.

Some chinese controllers support probing in the Z axis only.

If it worked before on a different PC, then I'd try an older version of Mach3, probably back to 3.042.020 or somewhere around there.
    The current version, 3.043.066 causing probing issues with a LOT of systems.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

It would be interesting to know whether anyone has used an akz250 usb motion card to implement straight probing or sideways probing. The manual seems moderately satisfactory.

Does it respond to g31?
    Does it stop on contact?
    Does it return the correct XYZ values?

I find 3.043.062 probes very well with conventional probes, either 'touch to ground' or 'two wire floating'.

Cheers
    Roger