584,837 active members*
5,384 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Test travel comes up short

I'm have trouble getting the Z axis to move the specified distance. When instructed to move 1 inch it moves .77 of an inch. I have tried a bunch of difference setting in PncConf Wizard and just can get it to come out right. I even tried setting it up as if the Z screw was a .2 inch screw rather that the metric 5mm screw that the kit was supposed to come with. I don't think it an issue with losing steps because the measurement is the same moving the Z up or down and it is consistent. I have the head counter weighted.

I'm converting a Sieg X3 mill using the CNCFusion deluxe kit, Mesa 6i25 + &i76 Plug-N-Go kit with a Gecko 203v driver with 10 micro steps on the Z axis. The ball screw has 5mm pitch. I'm having no problem with the X or Y. They are using KL-5056 drivers set to 8 micro steps.

John

Re: Test travel comes up short

Someone on the LinuxCNC form said something that made me remember that there were pulleys on the Z and they weren't 1:1. That motor is under a cover and I was so focused of t he software set I forgot about the pulleys.

John

Measure how much the block moves for one rotation and enter tpi value in "axis scale calculation" and enter "microstep multiplication factor" too.
    Hope that helps.

Multiply your steps per inch you currently have set by 1.2987. Then replace it with the new number. Should get you pretty close.

Ben

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I solved it a while back. I forgot that the Z went through pulleys that were not 1:1 because the Z motor was on the back of the mill under a cover. Out of sight out of mind.

Thanks
    John