Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • yup. I am there

36 85.71%
  • Nope, not for me

6 14.29%
Page 1 of 11 123

plasma chat session. ATTENTION.

Okay, this is for all members. If there are enough members in agreeance, then I am going to hold a cnc plasma/oxyfuel etc. chat on a certain night of the week, at a specified time, via the Flashchat on this site.

Have questions about building or maintaining a machine? Setting up software? What works and what doesn't? Just want to set down and B.S. about what you have cut or built?

I as well as the other mods are going to try and get a couple of chat rooms set up for different topics, please post up on this thread if the idea appeals to you. I am thinking at this point that about 7 oclock central time on Saturday evenings, but that is subject to what the rest of the members want, and what other chats are available.

PLEASE POST HERE IF THIS IDEA IS APPEALING TO YOU. I need a vote count to know if this is a worthwhile thing to do.

Thanks for your help and participation, members. Hopefully this can prove to be a helpful addition for seasoned vets and newbies alike.

I will post up on here when it has been more or less set in stone. Again,

If all else fails, I will try and set up a cnc plasma chat for next Saturday, @ 7:00 PM, April 7, central time, just to see how it goes.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
    -RedGreen show.

Red face Chat @ 7:00 On The 7th.

Quote Originally Posted by massajamesb View Post
    Okay, this is for all members. If there are enough members in agreeance, then I am going to hold a cnc plasma/oxyfuel etc.
    If all else fails, I will try and set up a cnc plasma chat for next Saturday, @ 7:00 PM, April 7, central time, just to see how it goes
    I'll try to be there if the Easter Bunny will allow me.

The math part might trick me a bit, one time zone change, with daylight saving time added, divided by 3 time zones that CNCzone shows if I'm not signed in, carry the..................
    I'll have to call up my keyboard calculator for the answer to this one! :drowning:

Lol, Weldtutor, you kill me.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

-RedGreen show.

Do you want questions asked here in advance, so you can get an idea of
    what the "HOT" topics/Needs are?

Now I'm confused?!?!?!?
    Looks like we got 2 polls for the same thing. (So I did a 'Chicago Vote'
    I voted twice... hehehehe)
    As I posted in the other one:
    Do you or would you want some 'pre-event' questions posted so you have
    some idea as to the hot topics the members need to know or are you just
    going to 'wing-it'?

Doesn't really hurt either way. It will probably wind up being whatever topics get brought up, I suppose.
    If you have a topic in mind, sure, post it up. I would love to hear some ideas, as it will otherwise be a bit unorganized

-RedGreen show.

Sorry for the confusion. All of it is in one poll now. I forgot I had made the first one . Massa=duh.

-RedGreen show.

Question #1:
    Where...who...or what supplier(s) handle the relays/solenoids/air or electric
    values needed to work the trigger on my hand held plasma torch?
    (Note: I'll be using a HobbyCNC 3 or 4 axis Board and running Mach3.)

Question #1A
    And how do you control them, (Seperate power supply/off the Board and using
    it's transformer (got 24 volts AC/10 amps off the transformer or 44 volts DC/10
    amps rectified. )

Question #2
    I don't understand how you control the 'z' to maintain the proper height at start and during the cut...
    i.e.: At the start up (Starting the arc)

Question #3
    Everytime it stops a cut there's a 'cooling down delay' of the tip, so how is
    that handled?
    i.e.: It does the 1st. cut then rapids over to the next cutting point then
    starts that cut, but the plasma machine is still doing it's tip cooling cycle
    of 30 seconds to a minute long, (I never timed it).

Very good. I will write these down, and we will start there. I am sure there are a number of people with the same question.

I encourage any member that can contribute questions or answers to show up.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to provide refreshments

Any others?

-RedGreen show.

I'm not sure what the advantage is of a "chat". I try to jump on the list several times a day to answer questions but my schedule doesn't allow a set time to be on line.

Just like the questions posed by Inventor. I could (and have in the past) answered them in but it might be 01:30 in the morning before I have a break out of the shop to sit down and compose understandable answers.

Tom Caudle
    www.CandCNC.com

I'm also not sure how the chat sessions will work... I'm no stranger to chat boards from back in the day, but I thought forums were the new/better way to go. I've been wanting to participate in one though to see if they work differently than what I'm thinking.

So I'll try to be here.

It is merely a suggestion, to see if this is something that other members will pick up on.
    I don't think that there are any topics to be covered, that haven't been already talked about on the forums here.
    Some people might take to the idea, some may not. If it doesn't turn out well, or no one enjoys it, learns, etc. Then we don't do it again.
    If everyone enjoys it, and it helps anyone at all, then it was worth it.
    No one has to show up, this is not mandatory
    Admin was nice enough to put Flashchat back on the site, and we may as well try and use it to the benifit of the members.

-RedGreen show.

Question #4
    I personal think that a rack drive would be the most reliable; But I haven't a
    clue as to how you figure out the gear reduction and or gearing to the track...
    and then there's the same old question: "where do we get 'quality' racks 5 or 6
    foot long?

Question #4A
    The pro's and con's of the different drive options.

Question #5
    Whether you're using a torch or plasma... you're cutting out material, so if
    you're cutting out a 4" circle or even a 2" x 4" slot...
    How do you know if your cutting it inside/outside/on the line?
    Is the finished circle 4" or is the hole 4" or neither because of the cut?

Question #6
    There are hundreds of table designs out there.. Is there one or two types/
    brands/styles, that just work out better for torch and plasma work?? (stable/
    reliable/ ease of use/ less maintenance/ more accurate cutting)

Question

Side question:
    It's almost 'ShowTime'; are you going to send out an email link to everyone
    that opt'ed in?
    So we know how and where to go for this event? (I get losted crossing the
    street. :wee: )

Question Time Zones?

Quote Originally Posted by The Inventor View Post
    where to go for this event?

I get losted crossing the
    street.
    Usually there are lots of people willing to tell another "where to go!"(nuts)

A good way not to get lost crossing the street is to remember that the other side is opposite where you started from.

My problem is trying to tell the correct time.
    The CNCzone "clock" says says GMT is the same as my time zone which is Eastern daylight saving time?????

I believe the chat is scheduled for 7:00 PM Central time.

When Mickey's big hand is at the 12, where is his little hand pointed (In the Eastern time zone) when it's 7:00 PM in the Central time zone?

I guess if you have a digital watch, that would be a bit difficult to answer.

I figured that I would just post up on here Saturday to remind everyone. 7:00 Texas time (I think that is central) on the Flashchat on this site. If you don't know where Flashchat is, look at the top of the screen, should be there.

-RedGreen show.

Page 1 of 11 123