585,665 active members*
3,512 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

homemade ballscrew

I am wondering if anyone here has attempted to make a ballscrew? Also I am used to working with hardened ballscrews, but I know that some ballscrews are made from relatively soft material, and bearings can even be made from plastic for special applications. I have found it difficult to track down specific detail on cutting forces for routers as it has a lot to do with how the router is used. I am very tempted to cut my own to give it a try and see how it will perform over time. I am thinking about doing a regular circular profile instead of a Gothic arch and using a double nut to adjust the backlash. I can look up wear characteristics for 1018 steel to get an estimate as to the expected life of the screw if I knew what the load is. I am just wondering if anyone here has experience that might save some headache. my current plan is to machine a .2 inch lead on a 1018 bar that is 1.250 inch in diameter. I plan on using a .1875 ball in a .250 track. It depends on how well I machine the screw to decide if preload will be with springs or thread offset on the nut. I figure I can measure lead error and using computer compensation for it. I am hoping that my equipment can do a good job on that though. The nut will likely be a few single turn circuits with 3d printed recirc inserts.
    Ray,
    Life is a choice, death is choice poorly made.

Re: homemade ballscrew

What's the point? It's a lot of work to do, top end up with an inferior product?

I have found it difficult to track down specific detail on cutting forces for routers as it has a lot to do with how the router is used.
    Depends on spindle HP, and what you are cutting. With a 3HP or smaller spindle, it's probably not more than 20lbs. With a 10-15HP spindle, it can probably approach 100lbs or more.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

what machine would you be trying to make this on?

ger21, thanks for the force estimate. I was originally thinking about a gantry router with about 2 hp spindle. I might try it on a metalworking lathe project I am working on. I have an old textbook on machine design that estimates tool pressure, might be a good starting point. as far as the point... its fun. besides I learn new techniques this way. I might even end up with a thread whirl-er, who knows.

Eldon_Joh, I don't seem to have a shortage of projects to use ballscrews on, I have a slant bed CNC lathe project I am working on that has a 10 inch swing 12 inch between centers.
    Ray,

Well I decided to do it 30mm x 10mm lead, here are some pics. I constructed a steady rest for the project and made a form tool. There is a small amount of chatter. I am looking forward to test its properties.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Ray,

Quote Originally Posted by llilrex View Post
    Well I decided to do it 30mm x 10mm lead, here are some pics. I constructed a steady rest for the project and made a form tool. There is a small amount of chatter. I am looking forward to test its properties.
    This is cool. I'd like to hear more about your experiment's results.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    What's the point? It's a lot of work to do, top end up with an inferior product?
    I guess the point is curiosity. Most of what we (hobbyists) do is "pointless" because if you calculate the hours spent it is almost always cheaper to buy a ready made product then to make one, and that goes also for a CNC, not just a ball screw. Of course, I know making a ball screw is pretty complicated and requires more than what most of us have, but I definitely understand why he is making one and I would definitely make one if I had the proper machines and the knowledge/patience.

Quote Originally Posted by llilrex View Post
    Cool project, so how was the result, or maybe still not ready? How did you manage to make the nut? I think that is more complicated than the actual screw, but maybe I am wrong.