584,830 active members*
5,379 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Novakon Y-axis ballscrew ...

Novakon Y-axis ballscrew ...

Hi everyone my name is Horasio and recently acquired a used Novakon Torus Pro with servo motors, when I'm cutting a .75" circle pocket my X-axis dimension is correct and my Y-axis is off by like .015 quite a bit compared to the X-axis being +/- .0005

I thought about the couplers possibly being worn out I took both X-axis motor and Y-axis motors off to compare, the Y-axis coupler mid section just fell into pieces and looks very worn when compared to the X-axis next I checked the Servo motors and they both seem equally smooth when rotating the shafts, then went to rotate the Ballscrews from the opposite end of the motors and found that the X-axis is very smooth forward and reverse... But the Y-axis isn't as smooth and feels like there speed bumps and kinda have to add more force to turn, I'm wondering if this is a sight that the Ballscrew needs to be replaced or might it be the bearing and the ends of the ballscrew ..

Has anyone had to replace their Y-Axis ballscrew also where can I but the wrench for the locknut on the end of the ballscrew ?

Any help will be apreciated ..

Re: Novakon Y-axis ballscrew ...

I replaced my y ballscrew and it honestly was much easier than I thought. I didn't use any special tools for the locknut. I just loosened all the allen lock screws and used pliers (I know it was a hack). One thing that I did find when I did this was that the lubrication line wasn't feeding oil and that was why I think mine failed. If you are going to order a new ball screw definitely order the right angled brass fitting for the oil line as well. The thing snaps if you look at it funny. I would also get all of the bearings as well because if you are in there you might as well do it. You could test that the lock nut on the end is snug as that is a major contribution to backlash if it isn't tight. It sounds like you have more issues to anyway, but it could keep you running while you wait for parts.

-Keith

Thanks for the reply ended up using plier also 😂 Turned out to be a seized bearing on the block by the y axis motor.. Will double check the oil line fitting while it's in pieces...

Did you use the same bolts for the new screw or did you replace them... ?

Quote Originally Posted by keithmcelhinney View Post
    I replaced my y ballscrew and it honestly was much easier than I thought. I didn't use any special tools for the locknut. I just loosened all the allen lock screws and used pliers (I know it was a hack). One thing that I did find when I did this was that the lubrication line wasn't feeding oil and that was why I think mine failed. If you are going to order a new ball screw definitely order the right angled brass fitting for the oil line as well. The thing snaps if you look at it funny. I would also get all of the bearings as well because if you are in there you might as well do it. You could test that the lock nut on the end is snug as that is a major contribution to backlash if it isn't tight. It sounds like you have more issues to anyway, but it could keep you running while you wait for parts.

-Keith