585,764 active members*
4,167 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > HAAS ERROR code Z AXIS MOTOR OVERHEAT on a cold machine with gibberish on screen

HAAS ERROR code Z AXIS MOTOR OVERHEAT on a cold machine with gibberish on screen

Hi All.

I've got a Z-Axis motor overheat code on a cold machine that i just turned on this morning. temps in the shop get pretty low during the winter at night and on weekends when we're shut down (40-50F) We warm the shop up before turning on the machines though to at least 50-60F. This morning i got this error coade along with a Z MIR message and gibberish on the screen. Any ideas on where to start the hunt for the problem? I'm attaching a pic of the screen shot for reference. Also I noticed when i switched screens to the memory screen it showed almost no programs almost like the CPU is gliching or something. ...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26230514_844158615758687_2570715727212639741_n.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	383560

Re: HAAS ERROR code Z AXIS MOTOR OVERHEAT on a cold machine with gibberish on screen

Have you check to see if you have any condensation in the electrical cabinet ? (do flip the main breaker off before...) My machine often get down to 5°C, I just run an extra long and slow spindle and table warm up routing before using them, been doing this for 5 years, never had an issue but the room is kept extra dry.

Re: HAAS ERROR code Z AXIS MOTOR OVERHEAT on a cold machine with gibberish on screen

One possible symptom is a low processor battery. BUT...usually the screen has more gibberish, and there's more alarms (so many that they appear to be random). But it made me think about the battery since it's a semi-common problem that people ask about on this forum.

Anyway, the messages screen usually holds error codes when you try to load a program. I don't know if there's anything else that automatically gets dumped in there. So it seems like some kind of code corruption, do any of the stored programs seem non-modified?