584,805 active members*
4,854 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > CNC Machining Centers > What type of machine would I need to mill these?

What type of machine would I need to mill these?

I'm very new to CNC, and I apologize if this is in the wrong section. This site is a bit overwhelming!

I created some molds by hand for vac forming, and now I need to get them made from HDPE. Rather than outsourcing the work I'm trying to find out if it would be worth it to invest in a CNC, providing I can get a tabletop style for under $2K that will do the job.

The flat pieces are simple and I know I can use a 3 axis. It's the other parts I'm wondering about with the angles and radii. The largest one is about 11.5" x 6" x 1.5". Can these be done with a 3 or 4 axis machine, or would I need 5 or 6?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Re: What type of machine would I need to mill these?

These are all easy on a small 3 axis router. If you don't now anything about gCode, a CAM program will likely be your biggest hurdle.

Here's a decent machine, above your budget: PROBOTIX V90 Mk2 CNC ROUTER Look for something similar in your price range. If precision is needed, the more rigid a machine you can get the better!
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Re: What type of machine would I need to mill these?

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
    These are all easy on a small 3 axis router. If you don't now anything about gCode, a CAM program will likely be your biggest hurdle.

Here's a decent machine, above your budget: PROBOTIX V90 Mk2 CNC ROUTER Look for something similar in your price range. If precision is needed, the more rigid a machine you can get the better!
    Thanks for the reply. At least I know they can be done on a 3 axis.

I am a software engineer so I could probably figure out the CAM program fairly easily, but right now timing is the issue. I need to get these made ASAP so while I'm figuring out whether I want to buy a CNC and learn it I'm also searching for a place to make these without breaking the bank!