584,826 active members*
5,305 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DIY mister for VKM4

My VKM4 was purchased without mist hardware. Two years ago I added a KoolMist unit ($115). The mist was manually turned on/off with the air needle valve. The mixture set at the tip. It was a pain keeping the mist air/fluid ratio correct. The 8200 control (and 7200) has a front panel MIST COOLANT button and M7/M9 available. Someone on another forum found a mister with a two needle valves (($25). It also has a check valve in the fluid line to stop draining the fluid back into the reservoir. I located the mist control terminals on the schematic and in the cabinet. Added a rail mounted relay to control an external air valve. Put a Harbor Freight air regulator in line.

Works great!

I also added a 24000rpm auxiliary spindle...but that's another story.

Ken

Re: DIY mister for VKM4

I don't know how much air yours uses, but I built one and it only uses 10-15 psi and works great. This should be a link to the plans I have on my dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wsggc0nmez...rayer.pdf?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by Brian L View Post
    I don't know how much air yours uses, but I built one and it only uses 10-15 psi and works great. This should be a link to the plans I have on my dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wsggc0nmez...rayer.pdf?dl=0
    Nice! Before I assembled mine I looked at a lot of other people's designs, including yours. I can see that a pressurized fluid reservoir would require a lot less air pressure/flow Since I have an unlimited building air supply, that wasn't a concern. Most of my parts were from my junk box, so buying a pressurized reservoir would up the cost significantly. 40psi seemed to work well, and works as a dry chip blower with the fluid off. I may change that with a little more use.

And the "G7/G9" in my post should have been "M7/M9". Just caught that and went back and edited it.

My intention was mostly to help others with a Milltronics controlled DIY MIST.

Thanks Brian.

Ken

Brians worked great. I made one from his plans and installed it on my VKM4 years ago. Turned on and off automaticly as it was supposed to. I used about 5-7 PSI.

The water filter housing I use is only $20 or so from Filtersfast.com and if you are paying for electricity, compressed air isn't free. My problem with the higher pressure system is breathing in the mist. My shop with 1300 sq ft and 16' tall ceilings, when I run the machine with the mister it can get kind of strong smelling and intense in there. Most of the year our temps in Arizona are mild enough that I can leave a couple doors open for ventilation, but like right now it's too cold for that and it gets pretty potent in the shop after running for a half a day or so.

edit: especially if my chips are hot enough to make the coolant turn to steam.