584,842 active members*
4,503 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > OpenSource CNC Design Center > Arduino > Anyone using Tiny G2core on Arduino Due

Anyone using Tiny G2core on Arduino Due

Hi there,
    I am considering to switch from a grbl based system with integrated motor drivers to a Arduino Due with Tiny G2core firmware, because I can then use external drivers (read: closed loop).

Now in researching github and the forums, it seems, that there is ver, very little development going on and there is not a synthetos own board available that lets you use external drivers which would make it easier to get support.

Has anyone been using g2core and can report on functionality or stability?

I am also looking around, what may be the best way to send gcode to such a setup (chilipeppr is one option I know) - a simple minimal GUI with a few buttons like performing jogging, homing and loading/sending a gcode file would be sufficient. Since the Due/the processor has no eepro storage, how does everybody store the machine setting? Do you always re-compile the firmware and flash it, once you have the need to change a setting?

If there is anyone around here, that can provide some tipps!

Thank you,

Michael.

Re: Anyone using Tiny G2core on Arduino Due

I am thinking of using G2Core for my lathe software. Currently i am using GRBL and 3 TB6600 external steppers. There is no real need to switch, but i am curious how it works.
    A good starting point is using the firmware as is. All you need is a working arduino IDE and a duo.
    I could not find how settings are stored but if they are not written in flash (duo support writing to flash) the only place will be a file.

Hope is helps you i bit.

Huub

Anyone using Tiny G2core on Arduino Due

I played around with g2 on a due awhile back. You configure it via the json interface using chilipepper. I don’t recall having any issue with it saving configuration parameters.

I really disliked the web based chilipepper interface so I gave up using it.

If you want to hook up external drivers to any grbl board that uses pololu type drivers. This plug with screw terminals makes it easy. Or just make your own.

http://cohesion3d.com/external-stepp...-style-socket/

When running grbl, I use basic Arduino Uno/stepper shield with the above plug screw terminals. Then connect to external drivers.

Re: Anyone using Tiny G2core on Arduino Due

As I see it, there are a couple problems using TinyG, TinyG2Core, or Grbl on a lathe.

1. There is no spindle synchronization, therefore there is no threading capability
    2. There is no cutter radius compensation. Most carbide insert lathe tools have a nose radius and because of this, anything except pure turning, or pure facing cuts would not be positioned properly.
    3. If you desire constant surface speed machining on your lathe, None of these firmwares will do it.

All of the above are dependent on your own expectations and if the above features aren't deal killers then TinyG, G2Core, or Grbl could work for a lathe