584,817 active members*
4,802 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > T-Slot CNC building > T-Slot 'only' CNC Design, opinions needed

T-Slot 'only' CNC Design, opinions needed

Hi there.
    I am new to CNC but wanted to give it a try. I wanted to make a machine that is easy to make using only t-slot profiles if possible or parts that can be found and bought.
    Unfortunately mechanical parts like rails etc are not all 'compatible' with t slots so plates can't be avoided. I tried to use plates that are easy to make using a drill and a small saw.
    The result is on the picture and is the subject of discuss.

I used profiles that are available in my country, mostly 30X60 (as this is compatible with SBR16). 30X30, 15X180
    The result is a bit ugly and fat but it may work.

I made two designs.. and may try another one before final decission. I think the right one is easier to make.
    Photo here... https://photos.app.goo.gl/3wySPlFGFgUwek1w1

I have two questions untill now.
    BK12 has 4 holes to mount but to put in vslot without a plate i can use only 2 of them. Will this hold?
    Can the motor be mount with a vertical plate 3mm width that will hold in t-slot in two holes only?

Anything you can say that helps is acceptable.
    Thank you all for your time.

I may need to upload and make public the sketchup design if someone wants to check it more thoroughly and provide ideas.

Re: T-Slot 'only' CNC Design, opinions needed

That's a strange-looking design that won't work too well in practice; keep drawing until you come up with something better. You aren't doing yourself any favors by sinking the moving table in a built-up frame; unless you want to drastically restrict the size of parts you can make, you'd be better off making a much larger table and raising it above the level of the support structures. Using short sections of T-slot connected end-to-edge makes a weak assembly that's bound to get weaker as it flexes. And no, you can't expect something held together with two screws in a configuration like that to have much strength. Use wide sections of extrusion instead of cobbling together a bunch of narrow ones, and find slides which are compatible with them and can be secured along their entire length, even if you have to import them. Or forget about using T-slot extrusions at all, and build your machine out of regular structural shapes, which are considerably less expensive, especially if you can find short lengths as scrap.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Re: T-Slot 'only' CNC Design, opinions needed

Interesting challenge and approach. I feel you with the chicken-egg problem of "How do I build a CNC without having a CNC!?". I'm pondering the same thing.

To get ridgid connections at right angles of T-slot, it's most ridged to counter-bore one piece, and thread a bolt into tapped end of another, then add one of the joint plates that bolts into the T-slot nuts.

Keep us posted on any iterations / progress!

-Todd