585,665 active members*
3,172 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Denford hardware choice

I picked up a Denford (a sherline in a case) identical to the one in http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...d%20MicroMill?

There seem to be 2 basic approaches to modernizing the electronics:

A) Wire a BOB into the existing smartstep/3 as done here, https://www.summet.com/blog/2016/01/...-axis-control/

and

B) To wire in a new BOB and drivers.

Since it would seem much easier to replace the main board entirely, can anyone tell me why it might be better to wire thru the existing smartstep/3? If using the drivers on the smartstep board is the only reason, it seems a bit of effort for little cost savings.

Re: Denford hardware choice

Quote Originally Posted by CaptnBlynd View Post
    ..............can anyone tell me why it might be better to wire thru the existing smartstep/3? If using the drivers on the smartstep board is the only reason, it seems a bit of effort for little cost savings.
    I think the only reason that could exist is simply if one had to get it running with the least amount of money. Any time savings doing it thru the existing drivers is going to come from the fact that someone else has identified the work and connections involved, other wise it probably would take longer to figure out the existing mess from scratch.

I would go all new without any hesitation. The components required have never been as affordable, and in the end, you won't have old technology... where perhaps the age of it could make it fail, making you start all over.

If there is an introductory money savings to reusing anything, reuse just the motors to get started, as they are a simple swap to something newer, better and more powerful once extra cash is available.
    Chris L

Re: Denford hardware choice

I've been down this road as well. My take was to put as little money into it as possible. At the end of the day it's still a sherline mill in a fancy enclosure. I'd say just use the stock drivers for now, and see if this mill is something you see yourself using. If it is, and you really like it, then dump more money into it. you'll still need the BOB either way.

Needless to say I'm in the crowd that has hacked into the smartstep. That write-up makes it super easy. If you can solder, you can do it in a few hours.