584,805 active members*
5,331 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Torchmate > Need Help with Torchmate 3 AVHC and Miller Plasma Cutter

Need Help with Torchmate 3 AVHC and Miller Plasma Cutter

I have an older Torchmate 3, from 2007, that is new to me. I have connected a Miller Spectrum 625 to the plasma table. I have everything working except the AVHC. The AVHC that I have is the older version, with the LED digital display (not blue or red LCD screen) and the rocker switches on the front of the box. I found that the fuse was blown when I bought the table for the arc voltage input and have replaced it. I have double checked the polarity from the plasma cutter. The Miller plasma cutter puts out a 0-3VDC signal scaled down with a 50:1 volt ratio to the real arc voltage at the torch. The display on the AVHC box is supposed to display the ARC voltage. Mine is displaying the actual voltage from the plasma cutter output, usually 2-3V.

Has anyone connected these brand plasma cutters to the torchmate? Also what is this Torchmate AVHC expecting for input vs. the actual arc voltage (is it expecting a scaled voltage or a 1:1 voltage relationship to the torch)?

Re: Need Help with Torchmate 3 AVHC and Miller Plasma Cutter

I can't help you off the top of my head, but if you have Facebook there idea Torchmate group. The guys & gals are much quicker to respond on Facebook than in forums.

Try them out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think , I can help you. But first are you sure your red display unit is okay, I mean it must show 0 volts when power is on, without plas connecton of course.
    I have such unit about 12 years ago. If I am not wrong, the voltage divider locate on pcb, with green 12 pins terminal connector. With continuity checker, locate pin number for A,B,C.
    As I remember pin 3 and pin 9 connect to C and B respectively. And inform me if it is okay. 3 pictures attached

I will open the avhc box and check. I’ve put a voltmeter on the plasma output for voltage feedback and it is showing 3. Something volts. The documentation from Miller states that the output is scaled down at a 50:1 ratio. Meaning 150 volts at the torch is 3 volts at the cutter output. I’m not sure if other machines do this? If they do then the avhc is not scaling up the signal. I do get 3 volts showing on the avhc display which matches my volt meter.

I’ve run into another problem with the unit. For some reason the board in the plasma cutter that control the start stop of the cutter is dying. I’ve gone thru 2. They only seem to last a couple hundred starts.

Okay,
    Without plasma generator connection
    1. Assume that AVHC is good, display can able to show between say 100 to 200 or more at SET mode (adjustment with SET VOLTS potentiometer)
    2. And if you apply 150V DC at point 4, at READ mode, display must show 150V (You may need DC power supply up to 100 - 150V)

Before do that, check short circuit between (cable 2) at point 4, A, B, C with green 12pin terminal, and let me know

"control the start stop of the cutter is dying. I’ve gone thru 2. They only seem to last a couple hundred starts." sorry, I don't understand, English is not my native language.