585,758 active members*
4,459 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DIY ATC ADAPTER

There is a new simple design is beeing developed ;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA3Fg_iBT1g

Re: DIY ATC ADAPTER

Looks interesting. Will it work at 20,000 rpm and what's the run out?

development work in progress, I have not finished the pullstud adapter yet. When I'm finished I will try on metal with a new video.
    When the further development is completed, it will be possible to give the coolant fluid even at the mouth of the insert.

Quote Originally Posted by ankis View Post
    There is a new simple design is beeing developed ;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA3Fg_iBT1g
    Is that an airpress adapter?

I think it is a smart design, air adapters use.. only i would not want to put the load on the z for connecting and disconnecting..

maybe an external mechanism could be used to load and unload the clamping pressure.

Grtz Bert

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A320FL met Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Driftspin View Post

I think it is a smart design, air adapters use.. only i would not want to put the load on the z for connecting and disconnecting..

maybe an external mechanism could be used to load and unload the clamping pressure.

Grtz Bert

Is the tool connector an off-the-shelf foster (quick disconnect) fitting from a high pressure air adapter?

I guess those things come rated for 4500psi or 6000psi etc so, in theory they have the strength. With that being said, I have snapped a number of 4500psi foster fittings on my air rifles.

Have you checked out the XATC design? The thing I like about that guy's diy ATC set-up is that it uses regular ER collets with off-the-shelf toolholders. It looked too complicated for me to do as a diy project but the guy did make all his designs and cad files available for free. Might be worth a look if you haven't already.

The challenge with spindles that don't use drawbars is obviously how you grip and turn collet nut. The XATC design tightens and untightens the collet nut using the rotation of the carousel and the spindle itself. It's very clever.

Quote Originally Posted by Driftspin View Post

Grtz Bert

Yes, it is an airpress quick adapter ..

Seems pretty interesting

so how do You lock the rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by steryd View Post
    so how do You lock the rotation?

the air pressure should be modified on the quick adapter, the petal nut design on the pullstud and the pullstud with the air pressure fast adapter will work in harmony with each other as male / female; which will prevent the air pressure quick adaptor from pulling the pullstud idle

yes, but how do You lock the rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by steryd View Post
    yes, but how do You lock the rotation?
    - the air pressure adapter has not yet been modified, you will see the modified version on the next video, there is a male / female mouth at the bottom of this adapter.
    - PullStud adapter not yet machined. It has male / female mouths and matches the air pressure adapter. this match allows the insert to rotate with the spindle. if this is not the case, the insert remains in the air pressure adapter.
    that is all

you are thinking about this issue

I seem to remember somebody doing something similar. In any event my concern would be getting sufficient axial pull to seat the tool holder in some sort of taper.

For small machines i see it as a worth while endeavor to come up with an externally actuated quick change system. Small spindles just don't have the internal room for the pulling mechanism. Im thinking fractional horse power spindles here with max capacity someplace between 1/4" and 3/8". What you need to do is take the idea of an airline quick change adapter and expand upon it. You have to minimize runout and maintain a decent pull to prevent holder pull out.

The reason i focused on small capacity spindles is due to the reality for larger spindle you might as well use a standardized taper.

I finally started pullstud. then the quick coupling and the pullstud will be modified, which will cause the pullstud and the quick coupling to rotate at the same speed, but if not, the quick coupling will return, but when the pullstud touches the cut material, the cutting operation does not occur.
    I can make the 3 axes of the quick couplin modification, but I need the 4th axis for the pullstud modification and I got the necessary materials in it. I will use a 1 mm diameter carbide tip in this modification process

https://youtu.be/j7SireZRg1s

I made the 4th axis cheap for the ATC adapter ... I guess it will be more precise and unbalanced.

In addition to this, the way of making 4 axis 5 is also opened .. There are 6 axes way up

https://youtu.be/8Ho-rKdBCLk

Hi everyone,

here is the another way thread by the 4. axes router with nema 23 step motor and simple stepper motor driver...

simple stepper driver can not useful for thread turn and here is the only way can do it very cheap, you dont need buy very expesive driver....

and also atc adapter coming very soon...

https://youtu.be/5RLAsKQ0JR0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmCK_Z9YKEE

Cycloidal reduction 1/5 ratio and working on Z axes....

very very precisios
    very quite
    in and out is on the same axes just use distance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDiYX5cJmGc