585,676 active members*
3,947 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > pls, is there an X axis break on lb3000ex2 ?

pls, is there an X axis break on lb3000ex2 ?

hello when driling on a lathe, by rotating the spindle ( thus feed only among Z ), is there a break on the X axis ?

i know that there is a break on the Y axis ( at least i was told so, but i never saw it ), but is it also a break on X ?

i was told that if i code long hand, instead of using default cycles, i may avoid engaging the X axis break / however, the one who told me that was not reffering to LB3000ex2, but he was generally speaking

or the servos momentum increases, like when setting the C axis momentum depending on chuck size ?

kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Re: pls, is there an X axis break on lb3000ex2 ?

Yes it is there, but it only comes on when the drive shuts off to keep the turret from "falling" on power loss. Y is different since it typically is stationary during turning, so it will be turned on when not in Y-axis mode. If the X is "drifting" while heavy cutting, you are probably abusing the machine and exceeding the motor rating. Turning on a brake to take the abuse to a higher level would not be a good idea and may damage your machine. You are on your own if you attempt to go there...
    Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

hello mr Wizard when i was told about that X axis brake, it was a simple discussion, there were no heavy machining sounds

maybe there are lathes that clamp an X brake during drilling; i don't know

is it possible to detect if a lathe was abused? or if it is being abused ? and i am not reffering to machining sounds

going wild : from whatever reason, someone forced a lathe, and no one was there to see, or not paying atention / and the next day, someone detects that there was an abuse and he instructs that operator how to be more carefull, and sells the abused lathe at a good price, and the buyer has no clue what it gets

if i may, i would like to ask you what's your opinion about abuse detection ? and is it possible to clamp the X break during power on ? all the best

about abuse detection
    1. brief test of accuracy.
    2. Signs of collision.

hey mr bunny i am thinking about something like that smartphone apllication which sents a message to the parents, when their kid is driving > 60 km/h

easy to say / kindly !

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    is it possible to detect if a lathe was abused? or if it is being abused ? and i am not reffering to machining sounds
    an abused cnc ( or too many hours ) may trigger a diff error when high rapids are used

even so, in such a state, it may still deliver common tolerances pretty well

i don't know how often this occurs, but it happens

i don't have exact data, but i believe that this is caused by the high acc/decc servos; an easy kind-of-fix could be using a lower acceleration / kindly