584,812 active members*
5,303 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DM2400 Conversion

Can I get a Dyna 2400 running using the existing Spindle control(manual), and nothing more than a Gecko G540.

I have invested more than practical on this machine and don't really want to put a couple hundred more in it to make it a Mercedes when a Honda will be fine for me.

If I remember from previous reads someone here got one of these running on a g540 and a bit of wiring. I sure would like to here from you.
    Thanks,
    Gary

Re: DM2400 Conversion

Yes it would be pretty easy to swap over to a g540. Manual spindle control is all that is needed. You wont be walking away and leaving it unattended.
    A lazy man does it twice.

FAST,
    I thought you had responded previously regarding this conversion and I tried to PM you but your inbox was full.
    When you say manual spindle control, I don't need any additional components to do that? I can leave the original spindle control in place and have it work manually?
    Is there a way for the control screen to be functional with the Gecko?
    I have read a lot of post's that recommend a Smoothstepper, and I saw you had limited success with it on the Dyna, if I read your reply correctly. I am a Newb to CNC so I will be proceeding with caution and error to being slow and will never leave it unattended. I will not be looking for fast IPM's, but my main concern is if this minimal set up will be reliable?
    Do you still have your Dyna or have you migrated to the Griz mill?
    Thanks for your reply,
    Gary

Gary
    Yes on the manual control. The machine does have the switch and potentiometer on the control box. It should work fine when manual is selected and the speed you desire is dialed in. It does work now doesnt it?
    Regarding the need for CNC spindle control, it could be done a few ways, all thru the G540. Either via a relay and using outputs 1 or 2. This will give you the ability to start or stop the spindle. Using pins 7,8 & 9 of the G540 will give you PWM control. This is where I am vague. The wiring on the potentiometer should be the same as pins 7,8 & 9. If the potentiometer wires were routed thru the G540's pins then the manual/CNC spindle switch should work as intended.
    Regarding the SmoothStepper. I do believe it is and or can be a great product.
    The migration from XP and the parallel port (which worked great for me til SP2 & SP3 came along) caused many headaches trying to use USB or Ethernet. The electronics have changed a bit as has my knowledge.
    The Dyna has very high gearing. So many pulses need to be generated if speed is a desire. On the other hand, the machine is very capable, reliable, accurate and sturdy for a machine of its size. You wont gain any time savings in the machining itself. The machine is easily capable of snapping any bits and parts.
    I have a ridiculous pile of projects.
    For the motion control I would look at the G540 or the Leadshine MX4660. They are comparable in many ways.
    Then it is a matter of how to connect to it. Parallel port would be great but trying to keep obsolete computers running is futile unless you build computers for a hobby.
    An Ethernet SmoothStepper or in my case now, a Centroid Acorn would be the method of communication to the MX or Gecko.
    IMO the Centroid is by far the most professional in its built in protections and design. However it is more expensive and requires their software.
    There will be PLENTY to learn, trust me if only on that ;-)
    A lazy man does it twice.

I have the G540 already and I am playing around with relays on an Arduino project I'm working on too. Spindle works fine now with new potentiometer, so I think I'll stick with the manual spindle for now and keep it simple.
    I see you replied to the old post regarding the PP. Thanks. I guess I thought you had to use the PP with the Gecko and Mach. I have an old desktop that I Purged and loaded Win XP and used it on the bench using some old steppers and cheap driver cards and it worked fine. I inquired about the Dyna control pendant but since I pulled the wiring and card out of mine I see now it doesn't work.
    I like the idea of having a screen close to the machine and have looked at the Panel PC's and note books. Most of those have an abbreviated OS or don't have PP. I saw a Tube that someone had a PPC but no detail on model or size. I'll keep looking into that.
    I was trying to meet up with Marty about the Acorn. Him and Brian have a Tube with the Dyna 2400 running and showing actual machining parts. He swears by it as well. I am trying to put mine together with just the Gecko for now because I already have more invested than my boss thinks is reasonable. I think the machine will exceed my capability as is. Adding some of the better parts later will be an easier sell if I have success first.
    I am excited because I have finally started tearing into mine, I stripped the box yesterday and I'm waiting for JTS to send me connectors and pins, so I haven't really looked at the Centroid in detail. Do you run the Centroid with the Gecko or is it stand alone? Plenty to learn is an understatement. I'm pretty sure I have searched every item I can find about this upgrade, problem is I don't have time to look at every option, feature, electronic, pin, Wire, ETC. But I will get it running!!!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Gary