584,865 active members*
4,983 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Received my 770

Hi guys,
    Received my 770 last week,

(Still no first cut, i am committed to finish the 8020 enclosure before first cut!)

I should have read a little more or the manual; I saw a couple of posts about people using Harbor Freight 1 or 2 Ton engine crane; I got one and I wish I didn't. It is doable if you put the stand on blocks, and plan somehow to remove the blocks or have a pallet jack to help!

I completed the entire installation alone, with no helping hands or watching eyes, and I really wanted to accurately level the stand first before putting the machine on. My garage cement floor is over

So the solution is to get a crane that have 40" spacing between the floor legs! I found one few miles away for $30 a day rent. This crane snaps on, it was truly 10 min to finish the entire thing!.

So for anyone still waiting to receive their machine, use something like this and save headache!. I was able to place the machine perfectly, all bolts gone in by hand, and shimming/leveling is straightforward.

Apart from the enclosure, Fog Buster and the filter are still pending installation. They will be installed on the aluminum extrusion in the back.

Used an old 23" Touch screen I had, and got a $12 waterproof foldable Silicone Keyboard.

8020 extrusion will arrive shortly. Can't wait!

Re: Received my 770

Always fun to open big boxes and it looks like you have a table of material to make shiny stuff with.
    Never noticed a base with a slot below the machine. Wonder if this a design change on all bases. Would be nice to have that for access to y axis ball screw from time to time.

Yeah, the material are all steel, brass, copper and some unknown material yet to be identified! I am going through them and started to identify the pieces with mass/volume/weight then look it up based on metal properties. I made a closeup video on these stuff in another thread as I am trying to get move out some end mills/material. Not sure if doing steel right away would be good for a newbie, but that's the material I have so no need to baby the machine at all

Base Slot? Isn't that for the coolant/water drainage as its opened from the back as well. I thought that was common.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Always fun to open big boxes and it looks like you have a table of material to make shiny stuff with.
    Never noticed a base with a slot below the machine. Wonder if this a design change on all bases. Would be nice to have that for access to y axis ball screw from time to time.

Enclosure completed.

Just for those who are searching the forum for inspiration or do and don't list for enclosures, here my 0.02.

From both the excellent write up by lens42 and the great video from sauni68 but with few changes and slightly different size. A mix up in the Acrylic order, I received 1/2" shorter than required. Had to add a 1" AL piece at top, it's good enough, so the $150 Acrylic order is not wasted!

My first operation was superfly to face an AL piece. Everything seems great, love the machine and seems we are going to spend significant time together .

- I used a putty tape between the chip trays and the extrusions. This dampened vibration a lot and secured the extrusion that it can be built in-place. Even drilling for bolts were done in place as these stuff are strong. I used the 1", i recommend less maybe 3/4" or even 1/2" width will be fine also, putty expand with weight.

- I ordered an extra aluminum extrusion and actually put one on top of the front side chip tray. This allowed me to use a 1/4" wood sheet and insert it between the two front extrusions as seen. Straight forward shelve. Will add 1/8 aluminum cover later on.

- I also used Coroplast from home depot (now $22 for full size sheet), on all three sides. Similar to lens42, I have door/panel frame from 8020 on the side as well (mine from the left). However, on the left side I still used Coroplast can as I am using Panel frame, so removing the entire side is matter of seconds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails f1.jpg   f2.jpg   f3.jpg   f4.jpg  

f5.jpg   f6.jpg   f7.jpg   f8.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by narrobb View Post

Base Slot? Isn't that for the coolant/water drainage as its opened from the back as well. I thought that was common.
    That is how the 770 base is designed. It's the coolant drain trough for the tank in the back.

Congrats on your new purchase!

Ah! So not all Tormach Bases are the same then. Never seen these machines before so i thought they would have the same design for all models! This drainage is great.