585,948 active members*
3,706 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > New 770 almost setup - oil tube ferrule missing!

New 770 almost setup - oil tube ferrule missing!

Update: ferrule was found!

I just got my 770 and have been setting it up. All has gone very smoothly (great quality!) until just now, the smallest little part has me held up... I went to un-bag the oil tube for installation in the manual pump and heard a clink clink as the nut and little metal cap went flying off the tube. It appears that someone forgot to install the ferrule! Any ideas on how to proceed this weekend? I'm sure Tormach will help me get something going in a few days but until then, I'm held up for a little brass ferrule. Even if I had one on hand I'm not sure how I would swage it onto the little 4mm tube. Thanks for any ideas! -Keith

Re: New 770 almost setup - oil tube ferrule missing!

Normally just installing the tube into the fitting will swage the ferrule. The nut and the fitting are tapered to do that, it's called a compression fitting. I would head to my local Ace Hardware and buy a couple. The oil line could be a Bijur type and would have a ferrule with a flat top rather than tapered on both ends.

Auto parts stores are another source, oil pressure gauge lines.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Ahh, thanks Jim! There’s a good chance the ferrule was there and went flying across the room if it wasn’t swaged. I was assuming they were swaged based on the other end’s ferrule being so tightly compressed.

Re: New 770 almost setup - oil tube ferrule missing!

Quick follow up - it occurred to me that the 4mm tube is very similar to the Bowden tube I use in a 3d printer and sure enough the slip fitting from the heat sink threads directly into the tormach oil pump and seems to hold pressure just fine. Meanwhile I was swapping out an outlet above the mill, dropped a screw and when I went to retrieve, discovered the missing ferrule lying under the mill!