584,805 active members*
4,987 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Buying Milltronics Questions.

Buying Milltronics Questions.

I am looking to add CNC capability to my prototyping shop (pronounced garage). I will admit openly that although I have plenty of time over the years making one-off parts on manual equipment, I have only recently started playing with cnc equipment and as a computer guy, I love it. I can troubleshoot and fix almost anything, so long as they dont run on some crazy magic, so Im not afraid of buying something old.

My desires include:
    1. Tool changer. I dont need many, and could probably get by without one with what I do, but I would use one if I had it.

2. Enclosure. For the obvious mess reduction over my Lagun knee.

3. Smallish footprint/lighter weight. Whatever I get will be destined to go in my garage, through a 7' door onto a floor of unknown thickness, so an 11k lb machine is probably a bad idea.

4. Ability for single phase. I have single phase piped into the garage, and an RPC. But it would be nice not to run the RPC if I dont need to.

5. Repairability/parts. Because this wont be a production machine, I can take the time to repair issues so long as every part isnt a proprietary one.

6. Probe. I may be using the wrong term here, but I would like to be able to locate stock edges automatically.

From what research I have been able to find, an older Milltronics VMC will fit the bill pretty darn well.

Can anyone confirm what I have found?
    The one big question I cant seem to answer is do the older Milltronic VMCs have the ability to use a probe?
    Is there anything to look for outside of the normal wear and tear when looking at one?
    Are there any models to avoid for various reasons?

Re: Buying Milltronics Questions.

How much are you willing to spend? New, Used, etc.
    How much travel do you need? X, Y, and Z.
    What RPM spindle and feed rate can you get away with? High feed rates need high rpm with small cutters.
    What kind of contours are you cutting? 2D, 3D, both?

There are very small machines available but typically are not very rigid. It will all depend on your budget.

Re: Buying Milltronics Questions.

Thank you for your reply.

I would like to find something for sub $5k. I know they are out there, they may not be great machines in that price range, but most of the things I prototype tolerances are pretty loose. On my Lagun manual mill im usually tight, but for no reason other than the tool will do it so I may as well.

Travel is again not horrifically important, what I tend to do is small parts about 12"w 6"d 6"h. I can work around a big or small machine. The part that will probably be the most common is a sprocket about 4 inches round.

RPM/Feed, Im not a mass production facility, really just a tinkerer. So if a part takes a bit more time, thats ok. so a slower RPM spindle is again acceptable

I probably wont do much 3D contouring, but wouldn't exclude it entirely. I have a habit of learning new things constantly then finding reasons to do it.

I agree that my budget is where it all hangs as to what I can get. But Im in absolutely no hurry (other than I want to tinker NOW), the money will sit in the bank until a machine that is within budget that I like shows up. Im not loosing money by not having a running cnc like a production shop would, so I have time to be patient. And thats the best way to be when looking for things.