584,837 active members*
5,106 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Issues running programs with an Anilam 1100 controller on a bridgeport mill

Issues running programs with an Anilam 1100 controller on a bridgeport mill

I have worked for a machine shop for the better part of a decade, running every job from the presses, the turrets, to the lasers, and now I'm in charge of production and quality. I only mention this to prove that i have some mechanical knowledge, but I am in no way a proper machinist or cad/cam programmer. We purchased a Bridgeport mill with an Anilam 1100 series controller on it and i have taught myself through online videos how to run bobcad and predator editor to make programs for the mill. Once i got a firm grasp of the bobcad software, i then tried to get a firm grasp on the anilam controller. I read the manual for it but still could not get programs to transfer over. I called Jerry at highland DNC and got a flash memory upgrade but still couldn't get it to work. Jerry luckily had notes from a 3000 series anilam controller that said in addition to what my manual said, i also had to press the number one to initiate the sending of the file... I would never have figured that out since it wasn't in the manual. So now i have a program saved in the memory of the anilam controller, but when i go to load it to run it, it says , ERROR; Illegal Address. BoBcad gave me a post processor for a 1400 series anilam controller because they didn't have one for an 1100 series but figured it was pretty close. I am guessing the problem is that my post processor isn't creating proper gcode for the anialm 1100 controller. BOBcad suuport says to make a custom post processor, they need a copy of a working program off my machine, the problem is, it didn't come with any loaded programs, and i don't know how to write code... I'm sorry this is so long, just trying to give all the information. Any help would be appreciated, or if anyone has a program for a Bridgeport from an 1100 series anilam that i could use, id really appreciate it. This has been a pain in my side for well over a year, slowly figuring out bit by bit when time allowed, now i'm finally very close, but completely stumped.

Re: Issues running programs with an Anilam 1100 controller on a bridgeport mill

Most of the Anilam controllers had a conversational programming function. You could manually input a small program the by pressing one of the F keys you could look at the actual G code that is generated.

I am surprised that the Anilam 1400 code didn't work.

Did the code load, but would not run? Or wouldn't load? Error messages?
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

The code loaded into the Anilam's memory from a USB up-link device. I could load the program, and edit it from the program screen, but as soon as I hit auto, it says ERROR; illegal address ( ). In between the parenthesis is a smiley face... not one made with regular key strokes so i cant replicate it here, its an actual smiley face.

Can you post the G-code, maybe I can see something.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

M00
    *NEXT MACHINE SETUP - Machine Setup - 1

*STANDARD FEATURE MILL HOLE - 0.5000
    *Machine Setup - 1 Drill
    *0.5 DRILL
    T1M6
    M3S3000
    M8
    G00X2.Y1.
    G00Z1.
    Z0.2
    G81Z-2.2002R0.1F22.3148
    X2.Y1.
    X4.
    X6.
    X8.
    G80
    G00Z0.2
    Z1.
    M5
    M9
    M2

this is just a program i made to drill 4 holes into a 2" piece of square tubing as a test... I can get it to load into the anilam, I can even get it to send from the anilam and the code does not change at all. But when I go to run the program by pressing auto, it gives me the ERROR; illegal address

I tried taking out the first line and tried it, and it didn't work, so i tried taking out everything up until the actual gcode and that didn't work either, same error every time.

Maybe try this

*Machine Setup - 1 Drill
    *0.5 DRILL
    T1 M6
    M3 S3000
    M8
    G00 X2. Y1.
    G00 Z1.
    Z0.2
    G81 Z-2.2002 R0.1 F22.3148
    X2. Y1.
    X4.
    X6.
    X8.
    G80
    G00 Z0.2
    Z1.
    M5
    M9
    M2

or this

M0
    *NEXT MACHINE SETUP - Machine Setup - 1
    *Machine Setup - 1 Drill
    *0.5 DRILL
    T1 M6
    M3 S3000
    M8
    G0 X2. Y1.
    G0 Z1.
    Z0.2
    G81 Z-2.2002 R0.1 F22.3148
    X2. Y1.
    X4.
    X6.
    X8.
    G80
    G0 Z0.2
    Z1.
    M5
    M9
    M2

Why not program the same functions using the conversational programming feature, then look at the actual G-code that is created. Then compare the externally generated code with the machine generated code.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I will try these both. I glanced through the conversational programming features when trying to get my programs loaded. its about out of my grasp right now, but ill read the manual again and try to figure it out... thank you for your help so far

Maybe I can help translate what you are reading here

M0 (stop machine)
    *NEXT MACHINE SETUP - Machine Setup - 1 (informational text, not used in the program)
    *STANDARD FEATURE MILL HOLE - 0.5000 (informational text, not used in the program)
    *Machine Setup - 1 Drill (informational text, not used in the program)
    *0.5 DRILL (informational text, not used in the program)
    T1 M6 (tool #1, perform tool change) <<<< THIS COULD BE A PROBLEM IF YOU DON'T HAVE A TOOL CHANGER
    M3 S3000 (start spindle, speed 3000 RPM)
    M8 (start flood coolant)
    G0 X2. Y1. (rapid move to X2.000 Y1.000)
    G0 Z1. (rapid move to Z1.000)
    Z0.2 (rapid move to Z0.200)
    G81 Z-2.2002 R0.1 F22.3148 (enable drill cycle Z depth = -2.2002, Retract height = 0.1, Feed speed = 22.3148 IPM)
    X2. Y1. (move X2.000 Y1.000, drill first hole)
    X4. (move X4.000, repeat drill cycle)
    X6. (move X6.000, repeat drill cycle)
    X8. (move X8.000, repeat drill cycle)
    G80 (cancel drill cycle)
    G0 Z0.2 (rapid move to Z0.200)
    Z1. (rapid move to Z1.000)
    M5 (turn off spindle)
    M9 (turn off coolant)
    M2 (program end)
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

We don't have a tool changer and we don't have any sort of cutting fluid either. Can I just take those lines out of the code? Or do they have to be replaced with something? I'm guessing i don't have the mill parameters set up right in my post processor. I'm going to try to figure that out now... No manual came with our Bridgeport when we bought it, just a manual for the anilam controller, is there a way to find out all the parameters I need for inputting into the post processor, ie; xyz limits, feed rapid and cut rates, max and min spindle speeds??

You can just remove the lines you don't need.

All of that should be (may be) in the Anilam manual. It's also possible that the settings might be in the help screens. It's been a long time since I had my hands on an Anilam so I don't remember the key sequences.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

The 1100 will only run conversational type programs, in it's own unique language. There are only 2 ways to get a program to run in EDIT - DRAW mode or the actual AUTO and hit the green button START mode.
    Here's what I know...

It HAS to have a .M extension. No exceptions, no matter the format it is written in.

If it is a good conversational program, with Anilam RAPID, LINE, ARC, BASIC DRILL type language, it should run unless the Anilam software is messed up. Usually then it will say something about missing subroutines.

If it is a G-code program, as above but G0, G1, G02/G03, G81, etc, it can only be run in one of 2 ways:
    1- Load into Anilam using a different extension, like .NCC, .G, it does not really matter as long as it is not .M. Look in manual about how to view all files other than .M in the PROGRAM page. When you can locate your .NCC or .G program, cursor to it and use the G-Gode COnverter in the UTILITY menu (F9?). It makes a new prog, with a .M extension, in conversational language. It comments the blocks it can not convert.
    2- Try a G-code program like you guys have written here earlier, put an @ sign before EVERY line, save the text file with a .M extension, and try to run it then. Format for a program called TEST.M would look something like this:

@N10 G0 G17 G40 G70 G90
    @N20 G0 T0 Z0 M5
    @N30 T1
    @N40 M3 S1750
    @N50 G81 Z-.5 F12
    @N60 (- N100 (some XY hole locations))
    @N110 G80
    @N120 G0 Z6
    @N130 M5
    @N140 M2

One of these ways should do something a little different for you. Best of luck w/it! Tim

Hey... just tripped over this thread... I run the same control, and it isn't bad.. I have been programming at the pendant.
    I just tried some Bobcad stuff tonight, but the control is conversational, and the 1400 post is invalid .
    There is within the Anilam 1100 software a g-code converter.
    Do you have the manual for the Anilam 1100?
    I don't know if I can find where I got it, but I certainly could scan it off and kick it over.
    Mark

I think there are command syntax differences between various versions of Anilam 1100 control SW. Bobcad had about 3 different posts but none worked with my machine. One almost worked but executed arcs with the wrong section around the circle. I copied the manual and sent to them and they gave me a post that works. If you still need this I could get it to you somehow. May or may not work with your specific version. I also made electronic copies of the manuals.

hi just reading your post from march 2008
    this is a long shot but have you by chance still got a copy of the Anilam 1100 post processor that you could forward to me

regards kev