585,568 active members*
3,523 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Double check my settings. Huanyang VFD with 2hp motor. mactec54...check in please,

Double check my settings. Huanyang VFD with 2hp motor. mactec54...check in please,

Hi guys,

This thread may help others as I go into the details of what I think the settings are and why. See if we all agree before I hook this up. Things I'm not sure about have a question mark in front of the setting. And I know some of the other stuff I might not have right so looking for confirmation from guys that have done this. Thanks to everyone up front.

Unit is a 2hp Marathon motor on a 3hp Huanyang VFD. Motor tag is attached.

First I'm running this as a 220v input to the VFD and I have a new in the box PathPilot computer for the build I'm working on which is converting a 1914 Leblond 1B mill to CNC with a custom built head. This motor is for the spindle drive and will be interfaced with a Mesa 7I76 BOB.

First up should be L1, L2 hooked to R and S input terminals on the VFD with ground going to E. And U,V,W going to the motor.

PD 000 - 0 for parameters unlocked
    001- 1 for remote control from 7I76 BOB
    002- 1 Freq set by + VI and - ACM input terminals. 0 - 10 volts from 7I76 BOB
    ? 003- 0 Main Freq. Used to set up multiple speeds. Since PD002 is 1 external control, this should have no effect
    004- 60 Base Freq. 60 hertz for this motor
    005-120 Max Freq. I want to turn this motor 2x it's standard speed of 1750 which would be 3500 rpm and on a 2.5 to 1 pulley would be max spindle speed of 8750 rpm.
    006- 3.0 Intermediate Freq. Sets the lower part of the V/F curve.
    007- .5 Min Freq. Sets the start freq of the V/F curve.
    008- 230 Max Volts. Max volts of the motor.
    009- 15 Intermediate Volts. Sets the lower part of the V/F curve.
    010- 8 Minimum volts. Sets the start volts of the V/F curve
    011- 6 Freq lower limit. Sets the low operational freq limit. On this 10:1 CT motor that would be 175 rpm which is 6 hertz on the VFD.

014- 4 Accel Time in secs
    015- 4 Decel Time in secs

023-1 REV rotation is enabled. FOR and REV terminal to 7I76 BOB along with DCM terminal to ground
    024-1 Stop key on front of VFD is not disabled
    025- 0 Start from freq
    026- 0 DC braking is enabled
    027- 6 Start Freq
    028- 0 Stop Freq
    029- 0 DC braking off at start. Don't need to stop spindle at start as it doesn't windmill.

141- 230 Motor rated volts
    142- 6.4 SFA max amps for 230 volt input to motor
    143- 4 Number of poles in motor. 1800 rpm motor is 4 poles.
    ? 144- 1750 RPM of motor at base freq. Should this be 3500 for rpm at max freq????

Re: Double check my settings. Huanyang VFD with 2hp motor. mactec54...check in plea

Quote Originally Posted by Dan2464 View Post
    Hi guys,

This thread may help others as I go into the details of what I think the settings are and why. See if we all agree before I hook this up. Things I'm not sure about have a question mark in front of the setting. And I know some of the other stuff I might not have right so looking for confirmation from guys that have done this. Thanks to everyone up front.

Unit is a 2hp Marathon motor on a 3hp Huanyang VFD. Motor tag is attached.

First I'm running this as a 220v input to the VFD and I have a new in the box PathPilot computer for the build I'm working on which is converting a 1914 Leblond 1B mill to CNC with a custom built head. This motor is for the spindle drive and will be interfaced with a Mesa 7I76 BOB.

First up should be L1, L2 hooked to R and S input terminals on the VFD with ground going to E. And U,V,W going to the motor.

PD 000 - 0 for parameters unlocked
    001- 1 for remote control from 7I76 BOB
    002- 1 Freq set by + VI and - ACM input terminals. 0 - 10 volts from 7I76 BOB
    ? 003- 0 Main Freq. Used to set up multiple speeds. Since PD002 is 1 external control, this should have no effect
    004- 60 Base Freq. 60 hertz for this motor
    005-120 Max Freq. I want to turn this motor 2x it's standard speed of 1750 which would be 3500 rpm and on a 2.5 to 1 pulley would be max spindle speed of 8750 rpm.
    006- 3.0 Intermediate Freq. Sets the lower part of the V/F curve.
    007- .5 Min Freq. Sets the start freq of the V/F curve.
    008- 230 Max Volts. Max volts of the motor.
    009- 15 Intermediate Volts. Sets the lower part of the V/F curve.
    010- 8 Minimum volts. Sets the start volts of the V/F curve
    011- 6 Freq lower limit. Sets the low operational freq limit. On this 10:1 CT motor that would be 175 rpm which is 6 hertz on the VFD.

014- 4 Accel Time in secs
    015- 4 Decel Time in secs

023-1 REV rotation is enabled. FOR and REV terminal to 7I76 BOB along with DCM terminal to ground
    024-1 Stop key on front of VFD is not disabled
    025- 0 Start from freq
    026- 0 DC braking is enabled
    027- 6 Start Freq
    028- 0 Stop Freq
    029- 0 DC braking off at start. Don't need to stop spindle at start as it doesn't windmill.

141- 230 Motor rated volts
    142- 6.4 SFA max amps for 230 volt input to motor
    143- 4 Number of poles in motor. 1800 rpm motor is 4 poles.
    ? 144- 1750 RPM of motor at base freq. Should this be 3500 for rpm at max freq????
    If you live in the NA then your supply voltage is 240v not 220v

This is a normal 208 / 230v 60Hz Ac motor set up which I have posted many times, most VFD Drives there default settings are a good starting point for motors like this, you will have to watch your minimum speed unless you have a fan to cool the motor, you won't be able to run at that speed, for any length of time with out it over heating unless you have added a fan

Your input wiring for this VFD should be connected to R and T, R and S work but is not as reliable as R and T connection

PD144=3000 this will allow maximum RPM no matter what motor you are running, but normal for your motor, it would be set at it's rated RPM 1750 RPM, so both settings should / will work

Post some photos of this old beauty, it would be good to see and show that there is life still left in a 1914 machine like this
    Mactec54

Re: Double check my settings. Huanyang VFD with 2hp motor. mactec54...check in plea

Thanks Mactec54. Good reminder on the fan for low speeds and the input connection to R and T.

Here is a picture of where I'm at so far. Took 2 days to strip off all the old paint.

Also a picture of what the head is going to look like out of Fusion360. The beauty of this mill is I'll still be able to use the horizontal spindle for surface grinding.

Last picture of what it looked like when I got it. Not using the old Vertical head. Building the new one. Why rebuild an RF-45 clone when you can have one of these.

Thanks Mactec54. Good reminder on the fan for low speeds and the input connection to R and T.

Here is a picture of where I'm at so far. Took 2 days to strip off all the old paint.

Also a picture of what the head is going to look like out of Fusion360. The beauty of this mill is I'll still be able to use the horizontal spindle for surface grinding.

Last picture of what it looked like when I got it. Not using the old Vertical head. Building the new one. Why rebuild an RF-45 clone when you can have one of these.
    Looks good, here is a photo of a 4" fan mounted on a Bridgeport I did, you can remove the motor Fan and this 4" muffin fan is all that is needed, it turns on with the VFD by the VFDs relay output they run quiet as well
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bridgeport Head.jpg  
    Mactec54

Got the Huanyang VFD hooked up to the motor today just to check it out and it works fine on the test run. Have the dynamic braking set to 4 seconds and it work perfect. Very surprised on how well it worked and how quiet the motor is at 3500 rpm

Got the Huanyang VFD hooked up to the motor today just to check it out and it works fine on the test run. Have the dynamic braking set to 4 seconds and it work perfect. Very surprised on how well it worked and how quiet the motor is at 3500 rpm
    If the inertia gets higher, than what you are test running with, then you may have to increase that number, that seems a reasonable number though, without having a Braking Resistor
    Mactec54