584,802 active members*
4,939 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hercus Computurn Lathe Help

Does anyone know anything about a Hercus Computurn lathe? I'm looking at buying one that's in pretty good shape from what I can see and I was wondering what kind of value they go for? Are they a good machine to buy for small lathe operations?

Thanks for the help!!

Re: Hercus Computurn Lathe Help

Anyone????

Hi Shefey,

I have a 1986 Hercus Compulathe, it is a very solid and well designed machine (mechanically). It was very expensive when new... I was told by the trade-school instructor where mine came from that they paid around $50,000 each in 1986 (Deluxe model with pneumatic chuck and automatic tool turret). That being said, they can be had for next to nothing... I paid $500 for mine 20 years ago, last year I also picked up a matching V300 Compumill for close to the same amount.

The important factor to consider here is the that these were designed 100% as CNC machines from the ground-up from day one, they were never manual machines converted to CNC like most of the imports available today! All the components used in the build were top quality industrial grade and built to last... no cheap import components. However, the ANCA electronics were the weak point in terms of reliability and the reason the school unloaded them after only a few years of classroom use. If the original electronics are still functional it can and should be used as-is. The control is an actual industrial grade unit and is capable of doing every type of turning operation and canned cycle as a industrial machine ; but a word of caution, it uses a rather unique flavour of G-code you'll need the manuals to figure everything out. Programming can be done by a CAM program and upload via RS232.... but you cannot run directly off a PC .... the technology is way too old.

If the electronics are toast, the Hercus is an excellent candidate for retrofit ; only the electronics need to be replaced.... all the mechanicals can and should be used as-is
    - do a search for macona (on another forum).... he did an industrial quality retrofit to one a few years back .... lots of info there....
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by cncdan View Post
    If the electronics are toast, the Hercus is an excellent candidate for retrofit
    Great machine and a great candidate for a retrofit with the new Centroid Acorn!
    Acorn CNC controller, Step and Direction 4 axis CNC Control board with ethernet communication.DIY CNC kit
    Milton in Tennessee ya'll!

I know it's late reply but I will add to it in case someone searches for this information in the future.

Its a solid well designed machine for it's size.

I bought a computurn lathe. The cabinet and control were both missing. It came with the lathe, 2 automatic turrets and parts for a third and also a air operated power chuck. I paid $500. I also bought a hercus V300 milling machine no control or cabinet. Same price.

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
    I know it's late reply but I will add to it in case someone searches for this information in the future.

I bought a computurn lathe. The cabinet and control were both missing. It came with the lathe, 2 automatic turrets and parts for a third and also a air operated power chuck. I paid $500. I also bought a hercus V300 milling machine no control or cabinet. Same price.
    Hi Upnorth

Just wanting to know how you came across your machines. I’ve been looking for some time for both and still can’t find any available anywhere.
    Thanks

A local machinist here who was a former trade school teacher had them. He sold them to a friend of mine who was going to make them into manual machines. Well that made me cringe. He eventually decided it was not worth it to do that.

The machines came out of a trade school in Halifax I was told. They then sat for many years in storage in a barn. I think the reason they are hard to find is that they were horrendously expensive when new. The result was that only trade schools could afford them and they never went into home shops in the new state. So they are quite rare.

I'm not sure where you live but I am in Canada. The lathes were made in Australia so they are probably more common there. If you live in North America you should be looking for some other type of lathe that is less rare. Emco maybe.

Hi Upnorth

Just wanting to know how you came across your machines. I’ve been looking for some time for both and still can’t find any available anywhere.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1986 View Post
    Hi Upnorth

Thanks
    Post 7 above explains how I found mine. Pretty much a friend of mine stumbled on them.

Post 7 above explains how I found mine. Pretty much a friend of mine stumbled on them.
    No worries. I’m in Australia but yeah they are rare. Just thought I would ask.

Thanks anyway

They are certainly hard to find. I had never heard of them before my friend found them. I think they are well made and would sell well today if they could keep manufacturing costs down. I'm considering selling the mill (V300) because it has been replaced by a bigger one. That would not help you though shipping to Australia would be ridiculously expensive.