585,754 active members*
3,805 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > What CAD/CAM for CNC Lathe, Tried Fusion and RhinoCAM No JOY

What CAD/CAM for CNC Lathe, Tried Fusion and RhinoCAM No JOY

I'm sure this get asked a lot so...

I currently use Rhino and RhinoCAM for Mill work, v4 Rhino and v1 RhinoCAM.

A friend's shop let me use RhinoCAM 2 and Rhino 5 to see if I like it for lathe as you can now do that. Doesn't seem to work well at all.

It doesn't account for the tool holder size or the insert size, so if I model a part with a 2 step hole, let's say 1/4" and then 3/8" and I try to bore it, it will path it as it can go through the 1/4" hole. I've look at all the help docs and videos and there is very little there.

I tried Fusion as it's free and would love to use, but I'm not getting the way anything works in that program. I find it absolutely useless. Again I'm probably not understanding it's base functionality. I can design a part in Rhino in minutes. In Fusion I can't even grab and move things around. It's seem so unintuitive I can't believe so many people are using it. There are sub menus after submenus with no real documents to teach you how to use it. All the videos focus on the aspect of making that one part. And they never show that, they always start out with the part made and how to go about altering it and so forth.

I'm looking for a inexpensive CAM I can use to generate Gcode for a CNC lathe. I'd prefer to design in Rhino and I've very proficient, but I'm not opposed to a CAD/CAM package for lathes.

I think years ago I used Dolphin CAM for my lathe work, but most lathe work I do I use wizards on my cnc for and that works for almost everything.

Re: What CAD/CAM for CNC Lathe, Tried Fusion and RhinoCAM No JOY

I wouldn't give up on RhinoCAM if I were you. It seems like you're comfortable with Rhino and just need to figure out how to use the Turn module. Instead of using the "Hole machining and boring" dialogue, for what you're talking about doing, you should probably use Turn Roughing/Turn Finishing, and set the approach type to ID (internal diameter). That will let you expand your hole with your insert tool, which you can define in the Tools panel, including various insert types, etc. Here's a video to help you get started with it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xUY1cW3mL4

If you decide to purchase the program, let me know - we offer good pricing on all the Mecsoft products, including RhinoCAM and the Turn module.

Andrew Werby
    computersculpture.com
    Andrew Werby
    Website

I appreciate the help and i've watched that video numerous times. And that's the only way to bore with an indexable tool. Once I setup my tooling I realized I couldn't use the bore function with indexable tools. I had to use the rough/finish as you suggested. But it still bores like it has all the clearance in the world.

Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't account for the tool dimensions, not even the size of the insert.

Any suggestions?

Also it doesn't post very good code. I was using the code I posted for Mach 4 and read somewhere that Mach 4 Lathe uses Fanuc OT standard. Not sure if that's true, but I read it somewhere in the mach documents, I think. It doesn't post a safe starting block or anything it just goes right into the code.

It should take the size and configuration of the tool into account; what would be the point of defining it if it didn't? I'd suggest calling in for tech support on this issue (M-F 10-5 PST); the tech at Mecsoft is quite knowledgeable and can share your (or your friend's) computer remotely, so he can show you what you're doing wrong and how to do it right. This free tech support is really one of the best things about the Mecsoft software; take advantage of it.

As far as the code is concerned, the problem you point out - no safe starting block - would be something that's addressed in the post-processor. In Mecsoft, that's completely configurable, but again, having the tech support guy hold your hand while you're setting it up will help avoid unfortunate errors. Mach3/Mach4 is based on Fanuc, but it's not identical. There are Mach3 posts in the Mecsoft post library https://mecsoft.com/downloadposts/ you can start with, but it's always good to customize them for your particular machine and expectations.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Thanks. I'll try that.

I think most sofware works like this. They generally show you an error or show the tool going through the stock.. Bobcad looks cheap and easy for a simple lathe, id probably look there. I find it interesting you find Rino intuitive! I think you are just really used to it.

@Avongil, what CAD are you using that you find intuitive? I wouldn't say Rhino is intuitive, but once you know how it operates I think it's very easy to use.

I don't use much cad these days, but my opinions are influenced by what I learned on - Pro/E in 1997.
    I find Onshape these days the most intuitive as well as Solidworks.

Autocad I always found cumbersome because I worked at a Mastercam dealer for 11 years and that is what I am used to.

Rino, I had to use a few times to get some large surfacing done. It was chore, but that is because its not the workflow I am used to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFzDaBzBlL0

I started with Rhino, but now using Solidworks, it's more friendly for newcomer as for me