584,363 active members*
6,644 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

new dyn4 autotune

I have been up and running with a bridgeport boss4 knee mill and dmm dyn4 servos for a few years but I decided to make some tuning adjustments and low and behold there is an autotune function in the latest DMM software.

Has anyone used this?

Re: new dyn4 autotune

It could be my setup but the autotune doesn't work for me. It picks fairly high gains in the first portion way into resonance. Then when it gets to the high acceleration part of the tuning the servos lose a phase.

Quote Originally Posted by boss4 View Post
    It could be my setup but the autotune doesn't work for me. It picks fairly high gains in the first portion way into resonance. Then when it gets to the high acceleration part of the tuning the servos lose a phase.
    I'm not sure, if you don't have there new servo drives it may not work correctly on the older drives, there have been a lot of changes with there new Drives, they have more choices for commutation now also, between the servo drives and control

Modbus RS485 and CAN Communication puts them at a different level
    Mactec54

I would say that it probably mostly worked. Maybe I could have power cycle the servo and it might have finished. It would be interesting to see what gains it would choose. As it is I re-tuned with a bit less speed gain and got rid of the resonance I was sometimes experiencing.

I am pretty happy with the setup I have now, though I am thinking about changing to direct drive on X and Y to get rid of the belt backlash.

I am using the drives as position servos in quadrature step/dir mode and closing the loop around the drives with a dynomotion kflop which allows me to log following error. I did a test cut on plastic, not very dense with an 8mm end mill and interpolated a circle at 200 imp and the drives where never more than 13 steps out which is about ~.0007 on my system.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    I'm not sure, if you don't have there new servo drives it may not work correctly on the older drives, there have been a lot of changes with there new Drives, they have more choices for commutation now also, between the servo drives and control

Modbus RS485 and CAN Communication puts them at a different level