584,814 active members*
5,207 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mach 3 Metric Conversion

I have recently imported a Legacy Maverick 5 Axis machine into Australia and to date have used the CCam program that came with it. The Mach 3 program that also came with the machine is programmed in imperial measurements and I wish to convert it to Metric.

Legacy have sent me instructions to do the conversion on both the Mech 3 and CCam.

The conversion of CCam is easy and has been done.

The conversion of Mach 3 has not been successful as the Z Axis ( I think ) remains in imperial.

The conversion involved changing settings in Config > VB Script Editor > M999, changing (1002.0) to (1002.1), then copying this down to below the line that is just above Check and set turning rate. I have gone through the save settings etc, and then entered g21 on the main screen and saved.

The result is that the Y and X axis goes through the appropriate settings but the Z axis remains well above the stock that I have on the headstock.

When I go to change native units and check mm the machine goes straight to the limits and I am obliged to stop the machine before it does some damage.

Note that I have successfully turned some samples using the imperial settings in CCam and Mach 3.

Can anybody assist me please.

Howard Combes
    Peachester Australia

Re: Mach 3 Metric Conversion

M999 would be something that Legacy has written, and I don't know what it does.
    Normally, you would just change your Native Units and your steps/unit settings in Mach3, and you wouldn't need to do anything else.
    Properly written macros should automatically adjust for metric and imperial, but apparently Legacy didn't do this with there M999.

Ask them to send you a metric version of the M999, so you don't have to do it yourself?

But I would still expect to need to change the Native units and steps/unit, but I don't know how Legacy configures Mach3 for their machines.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)