584,802 active members*
4,742 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 5 1234

Re: 2” facemill recomendations

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    Thanks for the input, Mike. Do you think a 3 1/4” fm w/ 6-inserts is too big for a Tormach?
    I have a 2.5" shars that I use and it pulls it just fine, I wish now I had bought a bigger one, 3" or so, it works fine for facing off stock.I can run the rpm up and no vibration is what I like. The flycutters are kind of delicate compared to a face mill, and the vibration isnt good either at higher rpm.

I just use it for facing off stock, kind of light cuts.
    mike sr

I've been looking at one of the maritool 45* shellmills and one of these

3/4x1" Stub Milling Machine Arbor

I just bought these today:

https://www.maritool.com/p665/Shell-...duct_info.html

3/4x1" Face Shell Mill Tool Holder

https://www.tormach.com/store/index....32&portrelay=1

joshetect, I think you need a different arbor than the one you selected, I believe that is for a slitting saw. Check out the one I bought. The 3/4" shaft will need to be cut down to length if you want to use it with the Tormach ATC.

nice, thanks!

I’m running some parts right now that are starting out 1 1/4 X 1 1/4 X 1/4 X 2.100 inch aluminum angle.

I’m using the 38 mm face mill from Tormach. I locate the part in aluminum soft jaws and I machine it at .025 DOC at 5,000 RPM and 50 IPM. The finish I am getting is amazing and to remove .025 from the top and .250 from the legs takes about 40 seconds.

It almost takes longer to change parts than it does to cut them.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by sidetrak06 View Post
    Do you mind elaborating on why you would choose the 25mm center cut insert end mill? Are you getting really good material removal rates? Is it a stable and rigid tool?

Thanks!
    For 1, I already have it. It is a very stable tool and very versatile, my go to tool for aluminum roughing. The MMR is decent, though not as high as the superfly or shear hog. I run it at 2500rpm, .100DOC, .700WOC, 50IPM. The load meter is near the top of the green. If I didn't already have this I might look at a 2 flute shear hog.

Wow, I must have some bad luck because today I broke my first superfly, and in the mean time it spun the R8 collet in the spindle and mangled the key that prevents rotation of the collet. Has anyone else ever seen this?

Every time my super fly catches it usually tweaks the superfly enough that it is toast and it galls the inside of the collet so I have to replace it too. Never bent the guide pin though.

QUOTE=sidetrak06;2149140]Wow, I must have some bad luck because today I broke my first superfly, and in the mean time it spun the R8 collet in the spindle and mangled the key that prevents rotation of the collet. Has anyone else ever seen this?[/QUOTE]

That’s the exact same setup as I’m doing. Just received the shars arbor. It has a weldon groove in it but looks like it will still work.
    Post your thoughts & feeds and speeds when you get a chance.

QUOTE=sidetrak06;2149104]I just bought these today:

https://www.maritool.com/p665/Shell-...duct_info.html

3/4x1" Face Shell Mill Tool Holder

https://www.tormach.com/store/index....32&portrelay=1

joshetect, I think you need a different arbor than the one you selected, I believe that is for a slitting saw. Check out the one I bought. The 3/4" shaft will need to be cut down to length if you want to use it with the Tormach ATC.[/QUOTE]

I hope that going to a face mill reduces the shock on the entire spindle system compared to a fly cutter. I am worried that the large tool diameter puts a significant torque on the R8 collet that caused my locating pin to shear. That stupid little pin forced me to replace the entire spindle assembly!

That sucks
    You must really have your drawbar cranked down. I have the atc so the tool will most likely spin before shearing that pin.

QUOTE=sidetrak06;2149412]I hope that going to a face mill reduces the shock on the entire spindle system compared to a fly cutter. I am worried that the large tool diameter puts a significant torque on the R8 collet that caused my locating pin to shear. That stupid little pin forced me to replace the entire spindle assembly![/QUOTE]

Wow, truly impressive setup
    John was the one who introduced me to MariTool and I have spoken with Frank Mari on the phone a number of times but I had no idea what an big enterprise he ran.

QUOTE=sparkness;2149418]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7kr1heEJWk&t=1225s[/QUOTE]

I hope that going to a face mill reduces the shock on the entire spindle system compared to a fly cutter. I am worried that the large tool diameter puts a significant torque on the R8 collet that caused my locating pin to shear. That stupid little pin forced me to replace the entire spindle assembly!
    You can replace the pin. It is inserted through a hole on the OD. The spindle does have to be disassembled to do this however.

That is good to know.
    At least you don’t have do remove the bearings, do you?

QUOTE=nitewatchman;2149552]You can replace the pin. It is inserted through a hole on the OD. The spindle does have to be disassembled to do this however.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=CadRhino;2149498]Wow, truly impressive setup
    John was the one who introduced me to MariTool and I have spoken with Frank Mari on the phone a number of times but I had no idea what an big enterprise he ran.

Few years ago I seen one of their t-shirts "Do you even lathe bro" had to laugh!
    Anyway I use mostly YG and Mari.

I have a couple single flute shear hogs and they leave an amazing finish. I use the tool as is with the 3/4" shank directly in the TTS spindle collet with a clamp collar to adjust the depth of cut as needed. I may get one of their shell mills direct to a R8 holder for facing type cuts. The Maritool stuff is great. I've been making some parts from large chucks of 6061 (7" diameter x 3.5" thick) so need as much MRR as possible. I have their 1/2" 3 flute serrated ZRN end mill pushing 4.3 cu/in minute. When I have to go deeper than the flutes, I switch to the shear hog as I can adjust it to go deep. Here's a vid with the Maritool: .625" DOC, .05 WOC, 140 IPM,6000 rpm using InventorHSM tool paths. Sorry for the shaky vid, trying no avoid coolant :-).

https://youtu.be/JcFi1Vtdmwc

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    That is good to know.
    At least you don’t have do remove the bearings, do you?

QUOTE=nitewatchman;2149552]You can replace the pin. It is inserted through a hole on the OD. The spindle does have to be disassembled to do this however.
    [/QUOTE]

Sorry but yes.

The new tool showed up today! I am going to put her together and I'll probably do a short video with some test cuts.

Looking forward to it, especially what feeds and speeds test you do with aluminum & doc info
    Thanks

The new tool showed up today! I am going to put her together and I'll probably do a short video with some test cuts.

Page 2 of 5 1234