584,817 active members*
5,140 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 5 123

2” facemill recomendations

Anyone know of a 2” or 2 1/4” wide facemill that will work with a tts holder or be adaptable to the tts?
    I’m on my 4th superfly and though the can face a wide area, they are just too delicate.
    I currently have the tormach 1 1/2” facemill but need a wider one to do one-pass facing.
    Thanks

Re: 2” facemill recomendations

I Like to get some of my tooling from Maritool. They have what you need, BUT I can only find a TTS shell mill arbor that is 7/8 dia. Most indexed tooling I see requires a 1" arbor. I would give em a call they might just make what you want and not list it.

Thanks
    I just saw some YouTube videos where folks have been modifying Shars 3/4”x1” arbors to work with the Maritool FM
    Looks promising

QUOTE=mountaindew;2146460]I Like to get some of my tooling from Maritool. They have what you need, BUT I can only find a TTS shell mill arbor that is 7/8 dia. Most indexed tooling I see requires a 1" arbor. I would give em a call they might just make what you want and not list it.[/QUOTE]

I have a set of 30 year old foreign R8 type holders for different size shell mills for my Bridgeport, I turned the shank down on one of them to .750 on the lathe, used the 4 jaw and indicated it, works fine and will still fit a 3/4 collet in the Bridgy.......

I have a 2.5 shars facemill, kinda questionable quality but works for what I need it for.

I am thinking about a 4" version in the future, I just use them to face off stock and they are balanced and more durable than a fly cutter.....
    mike sr

Tormach offers a 2 inch Shear Hog, their part number 35609. And it’s $395.00.

I just bought 1.5 inch face mill from Tormach and for the kind of work I do and the size of the parts I work on, it does an amazing job on aluminum.

I made a deal with my wife when I bought my machine. NO STEEL. But I’ll take all the Inconel and titanium I can get. As long as I don’t have to use bigger than a 3/8 end mill my PCNC 1100 does an amazing job.

I use a 50mm face mill from YS Tool from Ebay. With the proper inserts it does an excellent job. Its about $100 shipped to the US. Search FMB22 50mm on Ebay. You'll see a couple models that are TTS. Link to the one that I use below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-3-4-FMB...YAAOSw9GhYY0bq

That is a good deal.
    The nice thing about the Maritool fm is that it uses the same inserts as the superfly

Quote Originally Posted by mikegiraud View Post
    I use a 50mm face mill from YS Tool from Ebay. With the proper inserts it does an excellent job. Its about $100 shipped to the US. Search FMB22 50mm on Ebay. You'll see a couple models that are TTS. Link to the one that I use below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-3-4-FMB...YAAOSw9GhYY0bq

The only TTS arbor I saw was for 1/2". My tool had an R8 and and a 3/4" bore.To avoid pulling out the collet I ended up making my own arbor. To do it again I would order a machinable arbor to adapt.

Dave

I just got a sandvik century mill and it’s a monster. With diamond inserts leaves a perfect finish on aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is one of the YouTube videos on it;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IQFN3mqiuQw

QUOTE=CadRhino;2146462]Thanks
    I just saw some YouTube videos where folks have been modifying Shars 3/4”x1” arbors to work with the Maritool FM
    Looks promising

QUOTE=mountaindew;2146460]I Like to get some of my tooling from Maritool. They have what you need, BUT I can only find a TTS shell mill arbor that is 7/8 dia. Most indexed tooling I see requires a 1" arbor. I would give em a call they might just make what you want and not list it.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I am looking for a tool recommendation to cut 3" wide stock (10" long) in a single pass and achieve a mirror finish. I have been doing this for the past 1.5 years on a single superfly cutter (many inserts) but I think it is time to take a different approach. I do my roughing in 1 pass and finishing in 1 pass with the superfly and I get great surface finish but I want to reduce vibrations and wear on the machine because I do this all day every day. I have my superfly set to just over 3" in diameter and I run it at 3000 rpm and 20 IPM on a 3" woc and 0.100" doc. I finish with a pass at 3000 rpm and 15 IPM on a 3" woc and a 0.010" doc. I am guessing the solution here is to get a 1.5" or 2" (preferably 3") face mill to remove 0.100" then come back with the superfly to take the last 0.010" and get the mirror finish in a single pass.

I just did a slew of upgrades to the machine including a high flow flood coolant system so I can definitely push tools up to the limits of the machine. Reliability is everything to me because I start a program and walk away (I use the ATC so I need a compatible tool). I just installed a Pierson Workholding pallet system (these are incredible) so that I can run large batches of parts continuously. It has been a long progress to get the machine to where it is now but I couldn't be happier (other than the terrible enclosure it comes with). Anyways, I don't mean to hijack this thread but it seems like most of us are looking for the same thing. Which facemill offers the best material removal rate and what diameter tool can the 1100 handle? Looking at the Tormach site I am split between the 2" Shear hog and the 38mm facemill but I am guessing there are even better options out there yet.

Thanks!

I have the superfly (on my 4th one) as well as the 38mm fm.
    Unless your tramming and machine is perfectly balanced, if you need to face 3” wide you will get very minute lines where the tool overlaps unless you use a tool that is wider than your part.
    Look at the video I posted above.
    Maritool makes a 3.25” fm and you can modify an r8 with a tormach spacer and this should do it.
    I am thinking of going this route and just got a Shars r8 fm holder. Looks like it should work. Not sure how the speeds and feeds will work with a large 3 1/4” fm though.

Quote Originally Posted by sidetrak06 View Post
    I am looking for a tool recommendation to cut 3" wide stock (10" long) in a single pass and achieve a mirror finish. I have been doing this for the past 1.5 years on a single superfly cutter (many inserts) but I think it is time to take a different approach. I do my roughing in 1 pass and finishing in 1 pass with the superfly and I get great surface finish but I want to reduce vibrations and wear on the machine because I do this all day every day. I have my superfly set to just over 3" in diameter and I run it at 3000 rpm and 20 IPM on a 3" woc and 0.100" doc. I finish with a pass at 3000 rpm and 15 IPM on a 3" woc and a 0.010" doc. I am guessing the solution here is to get a 1.5" or 2" (preferably 3") face mill to remove 0.100" then come back with the superfly to take the last 0.010" and get the mirror finish in a single pass.

I just did a slew of upgrades to the machine including a high flow flood coolant system so I can definitely push tools up to the limits of the machine. Reliability is everything to me because I start a program and walk away (I use the ATC so I need a compatible tool). I just installed a Pierson Workholding pallet system (these are incredible) so that I can run large batches of parts continuously. It has been a long progress to get the machine to where it is now but I couldn't be happier (other than the terrible enclosure it comes with). Anyways, I don't mean to hijack this thread but it seems like most of us are looking for the same thing. Which facemill offers the best material removal rate and what diameter tool can the 1100 handle? Looking at the Tormach site I am split between the 2" Shear hog and the 38mm facemill but I am guessing there are even better options out there yet.

Thanks!

Thanks!
    I would rough it with the 25mm center cut insert end mill (2 flute) and finish with the Superfly. I found I get the best surface finish with a .003-.005 DOC with the superfly.

I run my superfly without coolant, I find that gives me the best surface finish, and it makes way less mess. Also make sure it totally comes off the work before stopping or changing direction.

... but I want to reduce vibrations and wear on the machine because I do this all day every day. I have my superfly set to just over 3" in diameter and I run it at 3000 rpm and 20 IPM on a 3" woc and 0.100" doc. I finish with a pass at 3000 rpm and 15 IPM on a 3" woc and a 0.010" doc. I am guessing the solution here is to get a 1.5" or 2" (preferably 3") face mill to remove 0.100" then come back with the superfly to take the last 0.010" and get the mirror finish in a single pass.
    I also dislike the vibration and have considered making a balanced fly cutter using SuperFly style inserts. Is there anything like that commercially available for a believable price?

I have used fly cutters ove the years, finish is nice but they are slow, unbalanced, and rather fragile. I use face mills now with an even number of inserts.........the prices are much better these days.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by IMT View Post
    I would rough it with the 25mm center cut insert end mill (2 flute) and finish with the Superfly. I found I get the best surface finish with a .003-.005 DOC with the superfly.

Do you mind elaborating on why you would choose the 25mm center cut insert end mill? Are you getting really good material removal rates? Is it a stable and rigid tool?

Thanks!

Thanks for the input, Mike. Do you think a 3 1/4” fm w/ 6-inserts is too big for a Tormach?

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I have used fly cutters ove the years, finish is nice but they are slow, unbalanced, and rather fragile. I use face mills now with an even number of inserts.........the prices are much better these days.

This does sound like it would give good results but, Since I’m running several hundred parts at one time, I need to find a one-tool solution.

The suoerfly is just too delicate

QUOTE=IMT;2148952]I would rough it with the 25mm center cut insert end mill (2 flute) and finish with the Superfly. I found I get the best surface finish with a .003-.005 DOC with the superfly.[/QUOTE]

Page 1 of 5 123