585,753 active members*
4,599 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Next size up?

Hi Guys,

I have a 7x10 mini lathe from HF.

This little lathe is great but it is only good for machining parts which are no more than about 3.5 inches in diameter, you can probably squeeze a little more out of it.

I am now interested in machining some rotors which are about 4-5 inches in diameter and would appreciate a recommendation on a lathe which would handle this.

I am more interested in a lathe which has a large community group as the mini lathe does.

Thanks for all help.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerFizz View Post
    Hi Guys,

I have a 7x10 mini lathe from HF.

This little lathe is great but it is only good for machining parts which are no more than about 3.5 inches in diameter, you can probably squeeze a little more out of it.

I am now interested in machining some rotors which are about 4-5 inches in diameter and would appreciate a recommendation on a lathe which would handle this.

I am more interested in a lathe which has a large community group as the mini lathe does.

Thanks for all help.
    the next size up lathe made by the same company is the c4, or 8x14, avaliable from HF, lathemster, and few other odd balls. It is of the same construction, and I think(although not sure) you can use tools parts from the 7x12 on it. Lathemasters only sells the 9x30 version of that lathe, its supposed to be very good also. The C6 is that lathes next bigger brother, avalaible from cummins, or grizzly(as a combo machine), its swing is 9.75 and bc is 21.75 these are nice machines for the money, albiet a little hard to get.
    After that you are into the 9x20(jet) and bigger machines these probably have the biggest community, but thats becuase they were the only thing avaliable for a long time(and they need many mods to work right.). Its hard to say becuase you never have enough machine, only so much money and space.
    chris

Chris,

thanks for the great response.

I was looking through the Grizzly catalog (online) last night and I came across this machine: (g0602 10x22)

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0602

This seems to be a newer and slightly bigger version of the g4000 9x19 and is not much more expensive.

What do you think of this and is there a community for this machine? Is this class what you refer to as 'jet'?

Thanks again.
    Phil

Phil,
    the g602 is brand new, I am not sure who makes it yet, it has the features of both sieg made lathes and the 9x20 series. So far the remarks I have seen have been positive, but again its only been around for around 30 days now.
    I would not worry about the community so much(BTW you were part of the biggest to my knowledge maybe sherline and taig come close), if you place alot of value in if there is a comunity that supports that machine(which for the g602 there is almost none) there in my eyes a few things, #1 a problem with the machine that others need to be contact with one another to fix, #2 not flexible enough to do what I would consider routine, #3 been around so long that they are wearing out #4 people who don't know what they are doing, or are trying to do more then the machine is capable of, in which case they are "modding". I cannot for sure comment about the 7x10, they seem to be good machines from what i hear,and only #4 applies. I own a small taig, and #4 applies, but I know with the 9x20(g4000) series 1-4 applies, esp #1.
    If you can purchase an american machine, they will run along time and are easy to get parts for, like atlas or southbend but they are next to impossible to find as whole unit for a reasonable price.
    If you want a rock solid machine, and a decent price I would order either a 8x14 from HF (or lahtemaster), which if you have a store near you can now S.O. it in to the store directly, no more freight charges. Otherwise I would order the cummins or grizzly combo, they are supposed to be very good for there price. Once I have my mill set up and running I will be purchasing a lathe of larger swing, I am currently between the cummins and the g602. My only hesitation is that cummins is less then lack luster for service, and the g602 is very new.
    chris

I received one of the first G0602 from Grizzly. Keeping in mind it is an Asian Lathe, it had some small issues. Grizzly has been great in resolving any/all of them. It is a fine running machine. I would recomend this lathe highly. In other post others are saying it will not take one inch stock through the bore. That is not the case for mine.

The hardened ground ways was the selling point.

If you would like to get a look at it before you purchase, look for a local Shop Fox dealer. The Shop Fox is basically the same lathe minus the gearbox. I live in the Cleveland Ohio area and Production Tool has the Shop Fox.

Any questions send a private message.

Quote Originally Posted by brian99s View Post
    I received one of the first G0602 from Grizzly. Keeping in mind it is an Asian Lathe, it had some small issues. Grizzly has been great in resolving any/all of them. It is a fine running machine. I would recomend this lathe highly. In other post others are saying it will not take one inch stock through the bore. That is not the case for mine.

The hardened ground ways was the selling point.

If you would like to get a look at it before you purchase, look for a local Shop Fox dealer. The Shop Fox is basically the same lathe minus the gearbox. I live in the Cleveland Ohio area and Production Tool has the Shop Fox.

Any questions send a private message.
    Please,
    Do tell what the minor issues were, and please point out those posts about not taking 1" stock, several people have asked about its ability to do it before they were shipped, i think those were guesses based on the 9x20.

chris

I had an issue with the shoulder screw that holds one of the change gears. The issue was the threads on the screw was stripped. It was an odd sized shoulder. The 10 mm shoulder had a M6-1 thread. Standard 10mm shoulders has a M8 thread. When I recieved my lathe it was so new, spare parts were not available so I started off modifying a standard should screw removing the M8 threads and drill and tapping the end a placing an M6-1 set screw into it. I eventually found a precision (McMaster Carr) shoulder screw that had the 10mm M6 thread. The other issue was changing the belt on the lower set of pulleys. This is were the high spindle spees are achievied. The upper (lower spindle) has a tensioner but the lowerr did not and the belt was very tight and difficult to change. A call to Grizzly and some removal of some motor spacers the problem was resolved. I now can use the tensioner form the upper to tension the belts on the lower.

I might of mis understood the post concerning 1 inch stock. I do not have any issues with 1 inch stock into the spindle.

Quote Originally Posted by brian99s View Post
    I had an issue with the shoulder screw that holds one of the change gears. The issue was the threads on the screw was stripped. It was an odd sized shoulder. The 10 mm shoulder had a M6-1 thread. Standard 10mm shoulders has a M8 thread. When I recieved my lathe it was so new, spare parts were not available so I started off modifying a standard should screw removing the M8 threads and drill and tapping the end a placing an M6-1 set screw into it. I eventually found a precision (McMaster Carr) shoulder screw that had the 10mm M6 thread. The other issue was changing the belt on the lower set of pulleys. This is were the high spindle spees are achievied. The upper (lower spindle) has a tensioner but the lowerr did not and the belt was very tight and difficult to change. A call to Grizzly and some removal of some motor spacers the problem was resolved. I now can use the tensioner form the upper to tension the belts on the lower.

I might of mis understood the post concerning 1 inch stock. I do not have any issues with 1 inch stock into the spindle.
    So truely not anything major, thats good to hear...

Also don't ever mix the terms standard, and metric, ......

chris

I prefer the 9x30 and 8x14 machines to the 9x20 crop. The 9x30's and 8x14's are copies of the European Emco lathes, and they're quite a bit more rigid than a 9x20. They do not require a 4-bolt compound mod to start working. Talk to Ron111 who has posted a couple CNC conversion threads. He's done both 9x20's and a 9x30. I think he found the latter a nicer lathe, but you'd need to talk to him.

If you can afford to step up all the way to a 12x36 they are light years ahead of all these smaller lathes.

Best,

BW

I bought a Grizzly G0602 a couple of weeks ago and so far I'm pretty happy
    with it.

Like all the Chinese equipment they tend to save money on assembly. However lets keep in mind that if they didn't, you and I probably couldn't afford a lathe of any kind.

So as usual it's a matter of money ... You want the most bang for the buck.

It has so far been my experience that Grizzly does a pretty good job on service and their equipment is pretty good for the money.

Washman