585,729 active members*
4,895 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Chinese 1.5kw spindle smoking and overheating
Page 1 of 2 12

Angry Chinese 1.5kw spindle smoking and overheating

I have just installed a chinese huanyang HY01D523B 220v, 1.5kw vfd and 1.5kw 220v spindle onto my cnc router. I suspect I must be doing something wrong because I can get the spindle to run both forwards and in reverse but after just a few seconds of running the spindle gets incredibly hot and smokes. I think I've set the vfd parameters correctly, but obviously haven't!!

Please can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong!!!

Re: Chinese 1.5kw spindle smoking and overheating

Quote Originally Posted by Wdbilbo View Post
    I have just installed a chinese huanyang HY01D523B 220v, 1.5kw vfd and 1.5kw 220v spindle onto my cnc router. I suspect I must be doing something wrong because I can get the spindle to run both forwards and in reverse but after just a few seconds of running the spindle gets incredibly hot and smokes. I think I've set the vfd parameters correctly, but obviously haven't!!

Please can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong!!!
    Usually when these spindles smoke the Parameters have not been set correct, what have you set and how do you have it wired
    Mactec54

Hi,
    I've now changed some of the settings and have them set to:
    PD001: 0
    PD002: 0
    PD003: 400
    PD004: 400
    PD005: 400
    PD006: 2.5
    PD007: 20
    PD008: 220
    PD009: 14
    PD010: 7
    PD011: 120
    PD014: 12
    PD026: 1
    PD141: 220
    PD142: 7
    PD143: 2.
    I'm now experiencing a slightly different problem. The spindle runs for a short time, up to around 120hz and then shows E.OC.A on the VFD display. I have also tried setting the VFD so that the spindle will run at 100hz. When I do this, the spindle runs at this speed for about 10-15 seconds then the vfd shows E.OC.n.

I have 1 phase 220 volts input to Live to R and Negative S, and Earth to Earth. Output is 4 wire with 1,2,3 set to UVW and Earth set to Earth (as picture)
    Attachment 348668

Hi,
    I'm now experiencing a slightly different problem. The spindle runs for a short time, up to around 120hz and then shows E.OC.A on the VFD display. I have also tried setting the VFD so that the spindle will run at 100hz. When I do this, the spindle runs at this speed for about 10-15 seconds then the vfd shows E.OC.n.

I have 1 phase 220 volts input to Live to R and Negative S, and Earth to Earth. Output is 4 wire with 1,2,3 set to UVW and Earth set to Earth (as picture)
    Attachment 348668
    You have PD142 set to 7amps. What does it read on spindle motor?

You say you changed to these settings, what were they set to before when trying to run? Hopefully you didn't cause damage.

Good Luck,
    Dan

I think you've just noticed my deliberate mistake!!! The spindle's maximum is 8amps but the vfd would not go any higher than 7amps. It is also plated 7amps. Is that likely to be an issue?

Initially I just set PD013 to 8 (which I understand sets everything to factory defaults), then PD003 and PD004 to 220 and left everything else at the factory defaults.

Do the settings I now have look as though they should be correct?

Would I be right in thinking that the errors that are now displaying are consistent with the spindle having been damaged? I can't find anything that tells me what these error messages mean.

Is spindle overheating and smoking a common problem?

Sorry to ask so many questions, as you probably guessed, I'm a newbie and learning how to do (and not to do!!) things as I go along. I haven't had much success yet. So far, I've managed to "smoke" 2 spindles; the first because I used the wrong type of VFD and this one!!

Will

Hi,
    Move your input power connection R= Hot and T for your Neutral connection, There may be damage to the spindle if it was smoking, The E.0CA is over current, so you may have a short in the spindle motor windings, do an ohm test of the spindle plug, measure pin 1-2 2-3 and 3-1 and the same to Ground / Earth which is the spindle body, the 4th pin also needs to be checked, most are not connected and need to be repaired so they are at Grounded to the spindle body
    Mactec54

I think you've just noticed my deliberate mistake!!! The spindle's maximum is 8amps but the vfd would not go any higher than 7amps. It is also plated 7amps. Is that likely to be an issue?

Initially I just set PD013 to 8 (which I understand sets everything to factory defaults), then PD003 and PD004 to 220 and left everything else at the factory defaults.

Do the settings I now have look as though they should be correct?

Would I be right in thinking that the errors that are now displaying are consistent with the spindle having been damaged? I can't find anything that tells me what these error messages mean.

Is spindle overheating and smoking a common problem?

Sorry to ask so many questions, as you probably guessed, I'm a newbie and learning how to do (and not to do!!) things as I go along. I haven't had much success yet. So far, I've managed to "smoke" 2 spindles; the first because I used the wrong type of VFD and this one!!

Will
    It's not a common problem, when the settings are left at the VFD drive Default you will have this problem, your spindle is 400Hz so has to be set to these setting or the magic smoke will appear

7 amp setting was fine with your spindle

Here are the correct settings for your spindle, these basic settings can not be any other numbers or you will see the magic smoke

Huanyang Mactec54
    PD000=0 for Parameter unlock ( 1 ) for Parameter Lock

PD001=0 (1 For Remote Control)

PD002=0 ( 1 For 0-10v Terminal Control or Remote Trim Pot Control )
    ( J1 Also Needs to be set for Terminal Control )

PD003=400

PD004=400

PD005=400

PD007=20

PD008=220 (120 If you have 120v VFD )

PD009=15

PD010=8

PD011=120 ( 100 Minimum Setting with Quality VFD, 120 is Safe)

PD13= 08 is for Factory reset, Only use this to set VFD to Factory Default Settings

PD014 Acceleration=12 ( Adjust to suit)

PD015 Deceleration=12 (Adjust to suit) ( PD15 is ignored IF PD26=1 Then the Spindle will Coast to a Stop)

PD141=220 ( Motor Rated Voltage )

PD142= ( Motor Max Amps) ( Set to suit your Spindle )

PD142=( 220vSet for your motor Amp Rating 2.2Kw Spindle 9 amp )

PD142=( 220VSet for your motor Amp Rating 1.5Kw Spindle 7 amp )

PD143=2 ( Motor Number of Poles)

PD144=3000 (Max Motor RPM) =3,000= (24,000)

PD70=0 ( This may need to be set to 1 if Control Voltage is 0-5v )

PD72=400

PD73=120 ( 100 Minimum Setting )
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Move your input power connection R= Hot and T for your Neutral connection, There may be damage to the spindle if it was smoking, The E.0CA is over current, so you may have a short in the spindle motor windings, do an ohm test of the spindle plug, measure pin 1-2 2-3 and 3-1 and the same to Ground / Earth which is the spindle body, the 4th pin also needs to be checked, most are not connected and need to be repaired so they are at Grounded to the spindle body
    Hi,

Many thanks for your help. I've just removed the top from the spindle and, as you suggested, the earth is not connected inside the body. There are three connected wires inside red, blue, yellow.
    I've tested ohms readings with my multimeter at 200:

Red/Blue: 3.5
    Red/Yellow; 1.7
    Yellow/Blue: 4.7

The "static" reading on my multimeter is 0.3?

I have no idea what any of these readings mean...Do they mean that the spindle's now bricked?

Regards,

William

Hi,

Many thanks for your help. I've just removed the top from the spindle and, as you suggested, the earth is not connected inside the body. There are three connected wires inside red, blue, yellow.

Red/Yellow; 1.7

I have no idea what any of these readings mean...Do they mean that the spindle's now bricked?

Regards,

William
    Post #'s 6,7,8 from thread link below will somewhat answer your question.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/spindl...questions.html

Hi,

Red/Yellow; 1.7

Regards,

William
    Readings across each of the connections should be consistent. what you have is not. Doublecheck them and if they still read different numbers like what you already listed then there is probably something shorting out a couple of the windings or it was improperly wound and managed to get by QC.

Hi,

Red/Yellow; 1.7

Regards,

William
    Yes unfortunately it is toast or bricked what ever you prefer to use, the normal reading should be 1.4 to 1.6 for a good spindle, when you get a new one, do the wiring and settings as I posted, plus the Ground / Earth connection in the spindle and double check that the Parameters are set correct, before you run it
    Mactec54

Yes unfortunately it is toast or bricked what ever you prefer to use, the normal reading should be 1.4 to 1.6 for a good spindle, when you get a new one, do the wiring and settings as I posted, plus the Ground / Earth connection in the spindle and double check that the Parameters are set correct, before you run it
    Thanks for your help. I shall make sure I double check absolutely everything. I expect a new spindle to arrive in the next few days, so shall let you know how it goes. Once again, many thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey Wdbilbo, I just got a 6040 w/1500w spindle from ebay and I followed the the simple instructions and had X,Y,Z working without a hiccup. However when I went to fire up the spindle I got nada. I seen it twitch once and thats it nothing else, deader then a door nail. This was today!

The VFD display reads from lowest to highest spindle speed of 120 up to 4000 when I adjust it up and down in MACH3. So I pulled the cover off the controller and checked the output Hz and its a 60Hz all the time when checking with a Fluke multi meter. I am assuming its the PWM that varies the actual spindle speed and cant be read with a regular multi meter?

So I went ahead and checked the 3 pins at the top of the spindle motor and they are all shorted...1.0 ohms across each phase. Maybe we are buying them from the same person and they are selling bunk motors?

It seems to me that a lot of the issues with the Chinese products is down to poor quality control combined with producing them at very low cost. Like you I'm using a Chinese 6040 machine but mine was supplied with an 800 watt spindle and 1.5kw vfd. Unfortunately these were 110 volts and I'm in the U.K. So had to use a transformer to get them to run. Also, none of the controller electronics worked out of the box. However, since the router table itself was good I agreed a partial refund with the supplier that mean I was just paying for the table. I the bought new BOB, a uc100 and new stepper motors and drivers. This all now works perfectly. I bought a new huanyang vfd and a 4 pin spindle and the problems I had with the smoking were totally my fault because I had the wrong parameter settings in the vfd and burnt out the spindle motor! I've since bought another spindle, this time with just 3 pins and it works perfectly. Apart from the number of pins on the spindle coupling there seems to me to be no difference between the spindles with 3 pins and those with 4 - the earth pin is not connected to the spindle casing!
    Since your vfd and/or spindle were dead out of the box I would suggest you complain to the supplier and ask for a replacement or refund. If you purchased through eBay some of the suppliers ask you to email them direct. Do not do this, instead go through the eBay resolution centre process. Although the Chinese tools are less than perfect I have found that they have provided me with a great way of learning about cnc. I hope this helps :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the prompt response. I am sorry for all your frustration. I should consider my self lucky because other then the spindle not turning on everthing else is functioning nicely. I've already opened a case with ebay. Hopefully I can get the motor swapped with out issue.

I find my VFD settings on another thread and compared them and it appears spot on, so I don't think I have a VFD issue. I read the spindle motor winding are very low impedence but mine are showing a direct short. Anyway, good luck with yours and I will be following your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by 6040_Newbie View Post
    Hey Wdbilbo, I just got a 6040 w/1500w spindle from ebay and I followed the the simple instructions and had X,Y,Z working without a hiccup. However when I went to fire up the spindle I got nada. I seen it twitch once and thats it nothing else, deader then a door nail. This was today!

The VFD display reads from lowest to highest spindle speed of 120 up to 4000 when I adjust it up and down in MACH3. So I pulled the cover off the controller and checked the output Hz and its a 60Hz all the time when checking with a Fluke multi meter. I am assuming its the PWM that varies the actual spindle speed and cant be read with a regular multi meter?

So I went ahead and checked the 3 pins at the top of the spindle motor and they are all shorted...1.0 ohms across each phase. Maybe we are buying them from the same person and they are selling bunk motors?

Understand what you are reading, if the reading is to Ground on each phase then you have a problem, a reading from pin 1 to 2 2 to 3 and 3 to 1 and you get a reading of 1.4 to 1.6 you have a good spindle as a rule

You will find that the VFD Drive is what the problem is, the people making these machines has been trying to make there own VFD without success, the older machines had a good quality VFD and once wired correct with Ground wiring added they work very well

You also can't read the output from the VFD with your meter, the input power yes, but not the output, you can cause a short and damage the IBGT in the VFD, your spindle is 400Hz so the VFD if it was reading 60Hz then it has not been configured to run your spindle,
    Mactec54

On my spindle there are 4 pins, only 3 are actually soldered. There is no ground. None of the 3 pins are shorted to ground and also my continuity test between each pin is not 1.4-1.6, I wish that was the case, but my readings are 1.0, just as if the two meter probe leads are shorted together.

I doubt highly the IBGT will damage by performing this test. I don't think my meter reads higher then 60hz. My VFD settings where set from the factory exact to the same settings of another forum member with the same VFD model. I looked at the manual and nothing's stands out as being wrong. I'm leaning towards it's a defective motor at this time.

Understand what you are reading, if the reading is to Ground on each phase then you have a problem, a reading from pin 1 to 2 2 to 3 and 3 to 1 and you get a reading of 1.4 to 1.6 you have a good spindle as a rule

You will find that the VFD Drive is what the problem is, the people making these machines has been trying to make there own VFD without success, the older machines had a good quality VFD and once wired correct with Ground wiring added they work very well

You also can't read the output from the VFD with your meter, the input power yes, but not the output, you can cause a short and damage the IBGT in the VFD, your spindle is 400Hz so the VFD if it was reading 60Hz then it has not been configured to run your spindle,

Quote Originally Posted by 6040_Newbie View Post
    On my spindle there are 4 pins, only 3 are actually soldered. There is no ground. None of the 3 pins are shorted to ground and also my continuity test between each pin is not 1.4-1.6, I wish that was the case, but my readings are 1.0, just as if the two meter probe leads are shorted together.
    That still could be just fine with a reading of 1.0 the 4th Pin is the Ground which you have to connect inside the spindle housing, it is normal to get these spindles with the Ground Pin not connected, but is not legal to run in the USA ( NA ) or safe without out it connected

Your spindle won't run with a 60Hz reading, you will smoke it if you try to run it without the correct Parameters set in the VFD Drive
    Mactec54

I will check it again but I believe the 4000 reading = 60hz(default) which = maximum output. There is no smoke, motor is disconnected and will stay disconnected till I get confirmation from the manufactuer engineer that the winding impedence is correct and it is rated for 4000hz Max.. Later I will run shielded cable and ground as you suggest.

Page 1 of 2 12