585,880 active members*
7,904 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Slaved Axis timing belt safety back up

Slaved Axis timing belt safety back up

Can anyone advise me if there would be any issues with slaving two Nema 34 motors to drive two RM2005 ballscrews. This would be to drive a gantry on a router that will mainly be used for woodworking and plastics (X and Y will be 1.5 by 1.2 meters). I believe it has been mentioned on here that a timing belt can be used between stepper motors that could act as a backup should there be a power failure on one of the slaved axis. This is to prevent damage occurring in the event of one stepper / ballscrew stopping while the other side continues to move. I anticipate that I will need dual shaft Nema's to mount the timing belt pulleys onto. Does anyone have any experience of such a set up and is it worthwhile doing?
    Regards
    Chris

Re: Slaved Axis timing belt safety back up

No, there are thousands of machines that used slaved axis. If you are concerned, use drives with Fault detection and alarm signals, like Leadshines, which can stop the machine if a stepper stalls.

You do NOT want to use 2005 ballscrews. They'll be far too slow. You want a 10mm pitch or larger, so 2010 or 2020.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Re: Slaved Axis timing belt safety back up

Thanks Gerry, Its to late regarding the ballscrews I already bought 2005 ones. Il probably use them just to get the machine moving and buy 2010 or 2020 at a later date. Regarding the Leadshines I'm guessing the fault detection monitors for voltage changes should one stepper malfunction and the other labours to keep on moving.