584,830 active members*
5,559 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Sequential numbering howto?

Hello,

Question,

Ive been asked to lasercut and engrave numberplates with sequentialnumbering, so: plate1 #000001, plate 2 #000002 and so on, is there a way of automated sequential numbering since they want 25000 plates and I dont really feel for typing in all the numbers by hand.

So I draw the rectangle in correct size for the plate, array it to fill out the workarea of my laser, and then automate numbers inside the rectangles?

Software I currently use is Autocad - Adobe CC Illustrator - Coreldraw and MS Office, if there is any other software that will do this I will get that.

Thanks for the help,

maurits

Re: Sequential numbering howto?

Do you run g-code on your machine? If so, this could be achieved using a spreadsheet with some setup time and provided you are familiar with the required g-codes.

1. Make individual programs for each digit separately 0 -> 9
    2. Make a blank program just for the outside profile
    3. Add some bits of code for each digit position which would vary depending on your machine, something like:
    ABSOLUTE
    NEW WORK OFFSET x y
    PASTE FIRST DIGIT GCODE (see point 5)
    repeat for all digit positions then cancel work offset so that final profile is correct
    4. This would become a little more complicated for a nest of parts but still achievable.
    5. Use a spreadsheet to insert the correct gcode for each number in sequence via text concatenation.

Laser engravers do not run g-codes.
    CNC lasers, constructions, service

Mine does

AWC708C driven by Raycam imports g-code

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A list of file supports: AI, DXF, PLT, DST, DSB, BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, MNG, ICO CUR, TIF, TGA, PCX, JBG, JP2, JPC, PGX, RAS, PNM, SKA, RAW

Quote Originally Posted by cinematic2 View Post
    A list of file supports: AI, DXF, PLT, DST, DSB, BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, MNG, ICO CUR, TIF, TGA, PCX, JBG, JP2, JPC, PGX, RAS, PNM, SKA, RAW
    cinematic2, these are all formats for use with CAD software of some description. G-code comprises the lower level instructions that cause many machines to move in a straight line or an arc etc... along with feedrate, power and all manner of machine instructions. You can often edit the g-code manually after CAM software has post-processed a job and do all sorts of wonderful things that the CAM software may not do out-of-the-box.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
    cinematic2, these are all formats for use with CAD software of some description. G-code comprises the lower level instructions that cause many machines to move in a straight line or an arc etc... along with feedrate, power and all manner of machine instructions. You can often edit the g-code manually after CAM software has post-processed a job and do all sorts of wonderful things that the CAM software may not do out-of-the-box.
    I know pretty well what G-codes are. I use it for 20 years on engraving/milling machines that I build.
    But you will NOT use G-codes on any laser engraving machine with standard mainboard.
    As long as you will make a special purpose one.

Quote Originally Posted by cinematic2 View Post
    I know pretty well what G-codes are. I use it for 20 years on engraving/milling machines that I build.
    But you will NOT use G-codes on any laser engraving machine with standard mainboard.
    As long as you will make a special purpose one.
    LOL now there's a "standard mainboard" is there? You just keep digging yourself in deeper. There's no shame in admitting that you are wrong. And the OP said nothing about the type of machine they use, "standard" or otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
    LOL now there's a "standard mainboard" is there? You just keep digging yourself in deeper. There's no shame in admitting that you are wrong. And the OP said nothing about the type of machine they use, "standard" or otherwise
    Yes, standard controllers like Leetro, RUIDA, Moshi, AWC, PUHAN that are dedicated to run laser engraving machine DO NOT accept G-Codes.
    Also Trotec, Epilog or GCC lasers DO NOT accept G-Codes
    If you had any idea about laser engrawers you would know that.

I think the disconnect is over the word engrave. G-code can import a vector graphic for vector cutting. It can’t input an image for raster engraving.
    The original post, which no one answered, was about vector cutting numbers.
    I think you could use engrave that describes vector cutting as long as you don’t cut through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dean448 View Post
    I think the disconnect is over the word engrave. G-code can import a vector graphic for vector cutting. It can’t input an image for raster engraving.
    The original post, which no one answered, was about vector cutting numbers.
    I think you could use engrave that describes vector cutting as long as you don’t cut through
    Yeah, the OP isn't 100% clear how the etching is to be performed is it? IMHO it seems unlikely that the numbers would be raster engraved, although it would be pretty cool to have numbers that incorporate some sort of image or varied textures etc... might have to try that one day! I was imagining the numbers being either an outline or solid etch and then just cut around the perimeter of the numberplate. And I have no clue about CAD software that might be capable of that sort of parametric design. Fusion 360 and Solidworks are the only 2 packages I've used that have parametric aspects and I never had the need to explore any sort of sequential design. Direct g-code manipulation is the only way I personally could do this. I've written parametric g-code (industrial machines, Amada, Prima, Laser Lab, Mazak), with one program in particular that causes different numbers to be etched or cut, with the serial number driven by the machine's internal part counter.

Hopefully someone else can help with a CAD solution as I'd expect that to have to shortest learning curve and be simpler to impliment