585,753 active members*
3,943 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123

Re: New Controller For MY PCNC 1100

Thanks again!
    I'll have to measure but my eyeballs say that there isn't sufficient depth in the cabinet to mount the rail on top of the interface board and also close the door. Perhaps the 1100 cabinet is deeper although the layout is similar to the 770. I'm sorta leaning towards putting the new stuff into a waterproof enclosure hung on the back of the control cabinet. That will give easier access for my solenoids and such.

Can you share what you used to call PathPilot from a desktop shortcut?

It looks like unless its called from the Terminal, they will resize the screen and also shutdown on exit etc..

also, FYI - For IP address of the MESA board, they hard coded eth0 as the adapter and IP address of 10.10.10.10 (i.e. the default eprom address)

Quote Originally Posted by kdupreez View Post
    Can you share what you used to call PathPilot from a desktop shortcut?
    Code:
    mate-terminal -x bash -c ~/operator_login
    I use the attached file as an ICON for my shortcut.

Quote Originally Posted by kdupreez View Post
    It looks like unless its called from the Terminal, they will resize the screen and also shutdown on exit etc...
    The above shortcut uses a terminal to call PP but it will not shutdown after exiting. Do not close this terminal while PP is running. PP always runs in fixed window size on the desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by rdsi View Post
    Code:
    mate-terminal -x bash -c ~/operator_login
    This will work fine to start PP but be aware that if you call it from the desktop PathPilot may, depending how you do it, extract new version directories to the desktop during the update process instead of to the operator home directory. That tends to confuse PathPilot
    Step

I have things working with my Mesa 7i92 but am having difficulty with networking. There are 3 Ethernet ports in my machine and, as others have noted, eth0 is automatically configured as 10.10.10.9 and connects to the 7i92 at 10.10.10.10. Issuing a "ip a" command shows that eth1 and eth2 are connected to the network but DHCP is not configured for either. If I add the line "iface eth1 inetdhcp" to my /etc/network/interfaces then my DHCP server assigns an address to eth1. However, no gateway is set so I cannot connect to anything off the control computer's subnet. What am I missing?

This is the contents of my file:

Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
        address 10.10.10.9
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 10.10.10.0
        broadcast 10.10.10.255
        gateway 0.0.0.0

auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet dhcp
    I've not had any issues otherwise. I'm thinking with 3 NIC's you need to decide which one to use for local networking/internet then disable the third one. Otherwise I don't think the system can automatically figure out what to do. Probably will need some more statements for determining which NIC will be the primary and secondary . . .

If you're using a recent PathPilot release (e.g. v2.1 or later probably), you shouldn't have to do anything. Just click the Interet LED on the Status page - it brings up a network configuration utility. In addition to WiFi networks, it will show any wired ethernet network interfaces that aren't being used for machine control, i.e. eth1 and eth2 in your case. Just select one of them and click Connect. It will configure it for DHCP and you should be done.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    I have things working with my Mesa 7i92 but am having difficulty with networking. There are 3 Ethernet ports in my machine and, as others have noted, eth0 is automatically configured as 10.10.10.9 and connects to the 7i92 at 10.10.10.10. Issuing a "ip a" command shows that eth1 and eth2 are connected to the network but DHCP is not configured for either. If I add the line "iface eth1 inetdhcp" to my /etc/network/interfaces then my DHCP server assigns an address to eth1. However, no gateway is set so I cannot connect to anything off the control computer's subnet. What am I missing?

I was playing with PP 2.0.0 since it is easy to install/re-install from the USB stick. After getting networking on my second Ethernet working manually I upgraded to the latest version of PP. On startup the newer version notices the extra NICs and prompts you to configure them. Problem solved thanks to everyone!

If you're playing around & break PP it's easier to first clone your disk & then restore it if something happens. There is product called Clonezilla that makes this pretty easy.

Of course you need a place to clone the drive. This could be a server or another computer on your network, a router with USB drive, and/or your PP HDD setup with a recovery partition.

So Clonezilla does a live boot from a USB drive plugged into your PP machine. You use it first to make the clone somewhere, then if needed, you use it again to restore your computer.

Much easier than reinstalling PP, especially if you have a lot of configurations to do after installing PP.

Thanks old-cnc-geek about mentioning the Internet LED thingy. Couldn't be any easier...

If you dig around in PathPilot v2 GrUB you'll find some interesting wrappers around Clonezilla. One does a "factory restore" and another pair does a back/restore of whatever you have in the root disk partition.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderguy550 View Post
    If you dig around in PathPilot v2 GrUB you'll find some interesting wrappers around Clonezilla. One does a "factory restore" and another pair does a back/restore of whatever you have in the root disk partition.
    Have you gotten those to work?

I saw those but when I tried them they didn't work for me so I figured they were just some left over garbage.

Anyway, I'm much happier using Clonezilla Live and backing up to a server. Besides, if your HDD really gets scrambled or dies grub isn't going to help you out.

Have you gotten those to work?

I saw those but when I tried them they didn't work for me so I figured they were just some left over garbage.

Anyway, I'm much happier using Clonezilla Live and backing up to a server. Besides, if your HDD really gets scrambled or dies grub isn't going to help you out.
    I tried the factory restore option a few weeks ago and it worked.

" with the DH110 I was able to change the assignment of eth0 to the Intel I219 controller chip"

I don't see any way in Bios to do this - or with any jumpers. How did you get this done ?

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by kprice1658 View Post
    I don't see any way in Bios to do this - or with any jumpers. How did you get this done ?
    It's done in software as follows. Open the terminal program & type:
    Code:
    operator@tormachpcnc:~$ sudo lshw -class network
    Look at the output to determine the MAC addresses listed as “serial: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx” for each controller chip – the I211 and I219. We will need these for creating a custom file in the next step. Now we create a new file like this:
    Code:
    operator@tormachpcnc:~$ sudo nano /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
    where we enter the following data substituting the MAC address for I219 for the first entry, eth0, and the MAC address for the I211 for the second entry, eth1:
    Code:
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="80:ee:73:d5:d0:09", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"

SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="80:ee:73:d5:d0:0a", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth1"
    Note: There are 2 long lines here. Use the MAC addresses for your system.

Save this file when you are sure everything is correct & reboot the system. That should take care of it ...
    Just bought my second DH110. Got a used I3 off eBay - really like these computers.

Ok - that's what I figured. I was trying to get this setup as a new controller, leaving my old one (@ PP v1.9.13) as a fail-safe.

I have it installed on the new one - but it won't get past looking for the machine on the initial setup. If I can't get that process interrupted to make the nic changes, I may try to clone the old drive to the new one and try that route.

Thanks for the instructions - saved me some Googling..!

Quote Originally Posted by kprice1658 View Post
    I have it installed on the new one - but it won't get past looking for the machine on the initial setup.
    You need to interrupt PP during boot-up by holding down the left "Shift" & "Alt" keys. Do this as soon as you see the first graphics splash screen. There's some timing involved here but when you get it right you should be in the desktop screen. Then you can make the changes.

Ok - that did the trick. Notes for anyone else that I didn't see here..
    - Jumper w6 on the Mesa board needs moved to get the proper eProm IP address. (my final issue..well, so far ;-)
    - A standard Cat5/6 cable is used - with no switch involved - straight connection from controller to board.
    - You'll need a wall wart or similar to get the board the 5v needed for power. I used the authors idea and picked up the AC to DC DIN-Rail Power Supply he linked.

On to tweaking...

Thank you!

New Controller For MY PCNC 1100

So I finally had the time to start this upgrade (been following for awhile) but I’m running into an issue. During startup I keep getting the “Attempting communication with 1100-3-7I92 machine. Check machine power and canceling to controller.” I’ve tried both ports on the 7i92 with the same results. The only difference I’m seeing from others on here is the part number for my controller (30162 Ver 2.0 Rev 5). Does anyone else here have the controller? Any ideas what I may be missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by andarxx View Post
    “Attempting communication with 1100-3-7I92 machine. Check machine power and canceling to controller.”
    You typically get that message if your IP addresses don't match. It has nothing to do with the BOB or even it it's plug in or not.
    As mentioned check all the MESA jumper positions:

Jumpers W5 & W6 control the IP address - your probably want the "Fixed From EPROM" position (default 10.10.10.10).
    Jumpers W3 & W4 control Pins 22 - 25. If enabled these pins are set to +5V - they need to be disabled so the pins are at ground.
    Jumper W1 must be set for 5V I/O tolerance.

If your using the Shuttle computer you need to be plugged into port 1 - left hand port when viewing them from the back. Also, you must setup the LAN port as explained.

You typically get that message if your IP addresses don't match. It has nothing to do with the BOB or even it it's plug in or not.
    As mentioned check all the MESA jumper positions:

Jumpers W5 & W6 control the IP address - your probably want the "Fixed From EPROM" position (default 10.10.10.10).
    Jumpers W3 & W4 control Pins 22 - 25. If enabled these pins are set to +5V - they need to be disabled so the pins are at ground.
    Jumper W1 must be set for 5V I/O tolerance.

If your using the Shuttle computer you need to be plugged into port 1 - left hand port when viewing them from the back. Also, you must setup the LAN port as explained.
    Thanks for the reply. The error I get when I’m not property connected to the MESA is “No ethernet link detected. Check cabling between controller and machine.”

This is the message I receive when I’m connected to the 7i92 but I believe it’s not communicating with the controller.

I did double check my jumpers and I think they are configured correctly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 123