585,973 active members*
4,104 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > A few VFD wiring questions....
Page 1 of 3 123

A few VFD wiring questions....

Believe it or not, the instructions manual for PDS spindles is even worse than the ones for Chinese VFDs. They are literally useless. So... I will be eternally greatful if someone could answer these 4 questions for me (seriously, if you need one of my kidneys, it's yours if you help me out on this!):

- Where do you connect the neutral wire from a 3 pin plug on a Huanyang VFD? The video I saw just showed two hot wires connected with no visible neutral. Do you just leave the middle wire from the plug not connected to anything?

- What does the ground wire connect to? There is a ground wire connected to the left of the two 220v in wires in the video I saw. The guy said it was connected to his "cabinet ground". WTF is that? Is this another part I need to purchase? I've wired up tons of electronics and have never once had to connect a ground wire to a seperate device. There was always a ground pin on the thing I was wiring if it was required... There is no exposed metal on my frame and I wasn't planning on using a metal cabinet.

There is no obvious place to attach a ground wire on my spindle either. There is just screw terminals for the 3 power legs:

The red and blue wire is for the 24v fan. There is nothing there lablled ground.... everyone acts as though this requires no explanation. maybe some of you were born with this knowledge but I wasn't so lucky. I need it spelled out in plain English.

- What (if anything) do I connect to "U2, V2 and W2" in my spindle connection box? I can see the U, V, M pins on the VFD but there is one set of power pins on the VFD and 2 sets on the spindle (I.e. There is U1, U2, V1, V2, W1 and W2). Do I connect U on the VFD to both U1 and U2 on the spindle or just to U1?

- Assuming I plan to control the spindle from the VFD to start with (I just want to test it for now), are there any other essential wires I need to connect aside from the 220v in, the U, V, W to U, V, W VFD to spindle power and the 24v for the fan?

Connecting a few wires from screw terminal to screw terminal should be a 5 minute job once I can answer these questions.... out of a 50 page instruction manual, all PDS provided on wiring was this image which means nothing to me:

There is a computer graphic of this image in the manual without a single word of explanation. Now... you might look at that and find that everything becomes clear but I literally felt like crying when I saw that this was all there was and I haven't cried since 1984.... please help!

Re: A few VFD wiring questions....

Quote Originally Posted by Goemon View Post
    Believe it or not, the instructions manual for PDS spindles is even worse than the ones for Chinese VFDs. They are literally useless. So... I will be eternally greatful if someone could answer these 4 questions for me (seriously, if you need one of my kidneys, it's yours if you help me out on this!):

- Where do you connect the neutral wire from a 3 pin plug on a Huanyang VFD? The video I saw just showed two hot wires connected with no visible neutral. Do you just leave the middle wire from the plug not connected to anything?

- What does the ground wire connect to? There is a ground wire connected to the left of the two 220v in wires in the video I saw. The guy said it was connected to his "cabinet ground". WTF is that? Is this another part I need to purchase? I've wired up tons of electronics and have never once had to connect a ground wire to a seperate device. There was always a ground pin on the thing I was wiring if it was required... There is no exposed metal on my frame and I wasn't planning on using a metal cabinet.

There is no obvious place to attach a ground wire on my spindle either. There is just screw terminals for the 3 power legs:

The red and blue wire is for the 24v fan. There is nothing there lablled ground.... everyone acts as though this requires no explanation. maybe some of you were born with this knowledge but I wasn't so lucky. I need it spelled out in plain English.

- What (if anything) do I connect to "U2, V2 and W2" in my spindle connection box? I can see the U, V, M pins on the VFD but there is one set of power pins on the VFD and 2 sets on the spindle (I.e. There is U1, U2, V1, V2, W1 and W2). Do I connect U on the VFD to both U1 and U2 on the spindle or just to U1?

- Assuming I plan to control the spindle from the VFD to start with (I just want to test it for now), are there any other essential wires I need to connect aside from the 220v in, the U, V, W to U, V, W VFD to spindle power and the 24v for the fan?

Connecting a few wires from screw terminal to screw terminal should be a 5 minute job once I can answer these questions.... out of a 50 page instruction manual, all PDS provided on wiring was this image which means nothing to me:

There is a computer graphic of this image in the manual without a single word of explanation. Now... you might look at that and find that everything becomes clear but I literally felt like crying when I saw that this was all there was and I haven't cried since 1984.... please help!
    Look at the first photo, it clearly shows you where the Ground connection is, left hand top corner, silver screw with a Ground symbol next to it, you sure you should be doing this

It looks like it is connected for 220v Delta connection
    Mactec54

It looks to me as though it is already connected in Delta, (lower voltage), Star is for the higher voltage rating.
    Star = L.H. in the pic and Delta = R.H.. Picture as shown.
    I see Someone changed his mind to 220v Delta !!!
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    It looks to me as though it is already connected in Delta, (lower voltage), Star is for the higher voltage rating.
    Al.
    Yes that is correct it is in Delta ready for 220v
    Mactec54

Where do you connect the neutral wire from a 3 pin plug on a Huanyang VFD?
    There is no neutral wire used. Neutral in the US if only for 120V.

Do I connect U on the VFD to both U1 and U2 on the spindle or just to U1?
    The two sets are tied together, so you can connect it to either one. I'd connect them to the side where the wire enters the box.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Believe it or not, the instructions manual for PDS spindles is even worse than the ones for Chinese VFDs. They are literally useless
    These products are meant to be installed by professionals. Anyone requiring step by step instructions should hire someone that knows what they are doing.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

ericks Guest

U1 and U2 are not tied together

ericks Guest

I agree with you Gerry...he should get someone to help him!

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    U1 and U2 are not tied together
    I fixed my post. I should actually look at the pics before posting.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

ericks Guest

Markings on that terminal block are not very clear. Gerry, do you know the make of this motor?

Markings on that terminal block are not very clear. Gerry, do you know the make of this motor?
    It is a PDS Spindle 220v /380v
    Mactec54

ericks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    It is a PDS Spindle 220v /380v
    Thank you.....do you have any experience with these spindles? Are they any good?

PDS I think?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Thank you.....do you have any experience with these spindles? Are they any good?
    I have never repaired one, have installed similar spindles, there are a lot of different manufactures of this style spindle, they all seem to have a good life and the quality in general is pretty good, that goes with the price as well, most Hobby users won't be buying an $1800 dollar spindle, that could have a life, just the same as a $300 spindle
    Mactec54

ericks Guest
    I have never repaired one, have installed similar spindles, there are a lot of different manufactures of this style spindle, they all seem to have a good life and the quality in general is pretty good, that goes with the price as well, most Hobby users won't be buying an $1800 dollar spindle, that could have a life, just the same as a $300 spindle
    Yes that price is a bit high

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    I see Someone changed his mind to 220v Delta !!!
    Al.
    PDS asked me if I wanted it set up for 220v or 380v before they sent it as it's a dual voltage spindle. I said 220v.

ericks Guest

What drive are you using with this motor?

Look at the first photo, it clearly shows you where the Ground connection is, left hand top corner, silver screw with a Ground symbol next to it, you sure you should be doing this

It looks like it is connected for 220v Delta connection

"Clearly" if you know that symbol means ground.... I assume you weren't born with that knowledge so at some point, someone helped you. I've had to wire ground pins before but I have never seen that symbol before. I have always just followed instructions like "pin 1 on this board connects to pin 11 on that one" etc.

Believe me, I don't want to be doing this. I hate wiring things and I don't think they should make it so you have to. They should agree a standard and this should be as simple as connected a cable like it is for computers, TV's and a whole lot of other appliances but it is what it is. My electrician has no more insight into how to wire a VFD than I do. He would be stuck with those same Chinese instructions....

So... it's either wire it myself or give up and I have no intention of giving up.

Does the ground pin on the spindle connect directly to the ground pin on the far left of of the Huanyang VFD?

What about my other questions? I.e. Which of the 6 power connection screws on my spindle are connected to the 3 on the VFD?

I need all these answers if you want that kidney.

What drive are you using with this motor?
    I'm using a Huanyang VFD (until I can get a better one).

ericks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Goemon View Post
    I'm using a Huanyang VFD (until I can get a better one).
    You seem to have a good quality spindle....if possible you should match it with a descent drive

Page 1 of 3 123