584,800 active members*
4,797 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Driving an HuanYang VFD Inverter via 5 Axis Breakout Board on Mach3
Page 1 of 3 123

Unhappy Driving an HuanYang VFD Inverter via 5 Axis Breakout Board on Mach3

Hey Guys

I'm a newbie on this: I recently have built a large DIY CNC.

Thanks to the fantastic project called Root CNC, I was able to print myself (since I have got two 3D printers) all the pieces required and completing the assembly of a Root 3 CNC.
    The machine it's really good and runs on 4 Nema 23 motors (model 23HS45), each one individually driven by a M542T driver. All drivers are connected to the 5 Axis breakout board which works perfectly.

I've decided to upgrade my spindle to a HuanYang VFD inverter + 1.5 kW Water cooled spindle combo (VFD model is: HY01D523B). I've made the connections between the spindle and the VFD and I tried to run it via the VFD keys, resulting in a perfect movement.
    Now I'm trying to hook it up to my 5 Axis Breakout Board but don't know how to exactly do it since there are sooo many pins on the VFD that I lost myself in...

Question is: how should I connect my VFD in order to let it run autonomously through Mach3, on my specific 5 Axis breakout board? Which pins should I use? According to the only sheet I got with the board, should be those on the bottom right header of the board but how to hook them up and which pins to connect to the VFD? Also, what should be the right configuration for mach3 in order to set speed and enable, disable the spindle?

I'm attaching some pics of my components on this message.

Thanks in advance

Re: Driving an HuanYang VFD Inverter via 5 Axis Breakout Board on Mach3

Quote Originally Posted by Gabry1609 View Post
    Hey Guys

Thanks to the fantastic project called Root CNC, I was able to print myself (since I have got two 3D printers) all the pieces required and completing the assembly of a Root 3 CNC.
    The machine it's really good and runs on 4 Nema 23 motors (model 23HS45), each one individually driven by a M542T driver. All drivers are connected to the 5 Axis breakout board which works perfectly.

I've decided to upgrade my spindle to a HuanYang VFD inverter + 1.5 kW Water cooled spindle combo (VFD model is: HY01D523B). I've made the connections between the spindle and the VFD and I tried to run it via the VFD keys, resulting in a perfect movement.
    Now I'm trying to hook it up to my 5 Axis Breakout Board but don't know how to exactly do it since there are sooo many pins on the VFD that I lost myself in...

Question is: how should I connect my VFD in order to let it run autonomously through Mach3, on my specific 5 Axis breakout board? Which pins should I use? According to the only sheet I got with the board, should be those on the bottom right header of the board but how to hook them up and which pins to connect to the VFD? Also, what should be the right configuration for mach3 in order to set speed and enable, disable the spindle?

Thanks in advance
    The Relay output is connected to FWD and DCM in the VFD Drive

0-10v output is connected to VI and ACM in the VFD Drive

Here are the Parameters that are needed for your spindle, you will need to change some of what you have, for remote control

These are the correct Parameters for your spindle

Huanyang Mactec54
    PD000=0 for Parameter unlock ( 1 ) for Parameter Lock

PD001=0 (1 For Remote Control) ( 1 For 0-10v Terminal Control or Remote Trim Pot Control ) ( J1 Also Needs to be set for Terminal Control )

PD002=0

PD003=400

PD004=400

PD005=400

PD007=20

PD008=220 (Motor Rated Voltage)

PD009=15

PD010=8

PD011=120 ( 100 Minimum Setting with Quality VFD, 120 is Safe)

PD13= 08 ( is for Factory reset, Only use this to set VFD to Factory Default Settings )

PD014=10 ( Acceleration Adjust to suit)

PD015=10 ( Deceleration Adjust to suit) ( PD15 is ignored IF PD26=1 Then the Spindle will Coast to a Stop)

PD141=220 ( Motor Rated Voltage )

PD041=8 ( Carrier Frequency )

PD142=7 ( Motor Max Amps for 1.5Kw Spindle)

PD143=2 ( Motor Number of Poles)

PD144=3000 (Max Motor RPM) =3,000= (24,000)

PD70=0 ( This may need to be set to 1 if Control Voltage is 0-5v )

PD72=400

PD73=120 ( 100 Minimum Setting )
    Mactec54

Lightbulb Re: Driving an HuanYang VFD Inverter via 5 Axis Breakout Board on Mach3

Hey man!

Thanks a lot for your very detailed response, you rock!

Ok, so if I've understood correctly, I should wire the VFD to the breakout board like this, right?

By looking at other forum posts and pics found on the internet, I also got wiring alternatives, like these:

Someone in the Root CNC group also linked me this post in which you can see there is a quite similar connection to the one you suggested, apart from a strange exchange between the couples (common grounds, I think) of terminals on the vfd, so FOR with ACM and VI with DCM but I assume it would be the same, right?

And last but not least, someone else also said this:

I think you may also need to connect one of the "Range" inputs (SPL, SPM, SPH) to DCM. It isn't clear to me that ther FOR/DCM will Stop if it is opened. (And this action may be programmable in the inverter setup.) Also not clear to me is whether the PWM will be properly interpreted by the inverter.

Based on your experience, which wiring is correct and also the best to gain the full control of my VFD-controlled spindle via Mach3, using my board?

Last question, I promise: you wrote me a list of parameters to set into my spindle: but I'm not totally understanding which is correct to set and which is not. Are the one you wrote first the correct one or should I choose the right case in the brackets? Saying this 'cause I'm not totally sure I will choose correctly, so sorry for this but I would like to understood perfectly before damaging something! :drowning:

Thanks a lot for your support

Hey man!

Thanks a lot for your very detailed response, you rock!

Ok, so if I've understood correctly, I should wire the VFD to the breakout board like this, right?

By looking at other forum posts and pics found on the internet, I also got wiring alternatives, like these:

Someone in the Root CNC group also linked me this post in which you can see there is a quite similar connection to the one you suggested, apart from a strange exchange between the couples (common grounds, I think) of terminals on the vfd, so FOR with ACM and VI with DCM but I assume it would be the same, right?

And last but not least, someone else also said this:

I think you may also need to connect one of the "Range" inputs (SPL, SPM, SPH) to DCM. It isn't clear to me that ther FOR/DCM will Stop if it is opened. (And this action may be programmable in the inverter setup.) Also not clear to me is whether the PWM will be properly interpreted by the inverter.

Based on your experience, which wiring is correct and also the best to gain the full control of my VFD-controlled spindle via Mach3, using my board?

Last question, I promise: you wrote me a list of parameters to set into my spindle: but I'm not totally understanding which is correct to set and which is not. Are the one you wrote first the correct one or should I choose the right case in the brackets? Saying this 'cause I'm not totally sure I will choose correctly, so sorry for this but I would like to understood perfectly before damaging something! :drowning:

Thanks a lot for your support
    Your diagram is correct

That wiring they are showing is incorrect, the Rely output from your Breakout Board is for turning the Spindle On / Off through FWD and DCM, This is correct, the snip below is from the manual

Your PWM is an analog output so connects to the ACM VI

That is also not the same VFD they are using, that looks like an AskPower VFD Drive, which is a poor copy of what you have

Just check with a meter if the 2 Terminals connections are the same ACM DCM on some VFD Drives they are the same, but on high quality VFD Drives they are not

Mach3 is not perfect for spindle control but in most cases is good enough for most types of work, you need spindle feed back ( encoder ) to have perfect speed control

The main list of Parameters are correct ( what is in the brackets are what can be used, or are meaning you can adjust that Parameter to suit your machine, also gives you what Parameters to set for Remote or Key Pad use )
    Mactec54

Just curious, what is the use of PWM between PCGND and P17 B Dir/relay ? Not used ?

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    Just curious, what is the use of PWM between PCGND and P17 B Dir/relay ? Not used ?
    If you test it and it outputs 0-10v then there is no reason not to use it, I have not checked one, to see, it most likely does not have a controlled 0-10v as per the correct 0-10v connection
    Mactec54

ericks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    If you test it and it outputs 0-10v then there is no reason not to use it, I have not checked one, to see, it most likely does not have a controlled 0-10v as per the correct 0-10v connection
    I have this bob....my guess, and its just a guess, is that it could be the pwm from mach3 straight onto that connection. When i get a chance i plan to look at the mach3 pwm on the scope....i will now also look at this output and report back

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    I have this bob....my guess, and its just a guess, is that it could be the pwm from mach3 straight onto that connection. When i get a chance i plan to look at the mach3 pwm on the scope....i will now also look at this output and report back
    That would be a good plan, there are a lot that seem to be using this Breakout Board, there are more than ( 1 ) configuration of this Board, even though they look the same there are some differences in the layout
    Mactec54

ericks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    Hi i just had a look at the pwm pin...actually on the board it shows you its from mach3 pwm cause its marked pin1....that is the pin you set in mach3 config.

Also had a look at it on the scope, confirmed it's the actual pwm signal from mach3....also its a nice and clean pwm signal. Good use of this pin would be to check if the mach3 pwm setup works properly.....Just use a led and resistor

Nice discover, Ericks, but what are the benefits of using this kind of signal? I mean, should we connect it to the VFD? (which pin?)

Also it's more convient to use this, replacing the 0-10V output or use both of them at the same time?

ericks Guest

I also confirmed that the pwm signal from mach3 is operating properly through its full range. The breakout board is however not converting this signal very accurately....so the conversion is not linear
    Guess we shouldn't expect too much of a board in this price range. I may or may not use it in my machine....

ericks Guest

Nice discover, Ericks, but what are the benefits of using this kind of signal? I mean, should we connect it to the VFD? (which pin?)

Also it's more convient to use this, replacing the 0-10V output or use both of them at the same time?
    Personally, if i had no test instruments and if i were struggling with getting the speed control sorted by mach3 then the only thing i would use this pin for is with a led to "see" if i am getting a changing signal from mach3 when i change the speed on mach3.
    Some VFD drives may be able to use this signal directly as a speed reference. I think possibly the Danfoss drive may well be one that may benefit from this signal.....

ericks Guest

oops...to answer your question...no dont use this pwm with, or to replace the bob 0 - 10V signal to the VFD

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    oops...to answer your question...no dont use this pwm with, or to replace the bob 0 - 10V signal to the VFD
    As I thought it would be strange if there where ( 2 ) PWM that where a controlled 0-10v I thought at best it would be 0-5v which if it is, can be used for some VFD Drives
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by blinkstrikebob View Post
    Hi mactec54 and other members of this forum.
    I have some issue about chinese VFD inverter with spindle.

First it was working perfectly with 18000 rpm.
    I factory resetted and reprogrammed. Now it's working but not more than 3000 rpm 50htz.

My current configuration is:
    PD013 = 01 instead of 08 ( I guess it's fake inverter)
    PD005 = 400
    PD004 = 400
    PD002 = 001
    PD070 = 01
    PD072 = 400
    Which is the configuration of my Huanyang inverter's manufacturer : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mbL...ature=youtu.be

The main problem is when i unplug spindle from my inverter it's working perfect at 400htz, 24000rpm.
    And when I plug my inverter to spindle it cant rotate more than 50htz 3000rpm if I try to rotate POT to increase htz it showed "dL" error and stopped.

I attached some video here : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Mc...-LkxWabRneie24

The problem could be on both spindle and inverter.
    So my question is:
    1) How to program my Inverter.
    2) How to check my spindle is working or not.

Please help me to solve this problem.

Sincerely Blink Strike
    You don't have the correct Parameters set
    Mactec54

Hey Guys

Thanks in advance
    Hi Guys, i have the same BOB and VFD. Have you found the way? Please share with me. Thanks

ericks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sandri View Post
    Hi Guys, i have the same BOB and VFD. Have you found the way? Please share with me. Thanks
    This is not a bad little bob....great value for the price

Hi

I need help .

I have the same ST V2 BREAKOUT BOARD and HY VDF
    with air cooling spindle.
    I succeeded to turn on the spindle but the speed
    In mach 3 not the same in the VDF screen.
    I think it's not linear.
    Please I need help to solve this problem .
    If any one can attach pictures, this can help me

I am a new friend in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Elish View Post
    Hi

I need help .

I have the same ST V2 BREAKOUT BOARD and HY VDF
    with air cooling spindle.
    I succeeded to turn on the spindle but the speed
    In mach 3 not the same in the VDF screen.
    I think it's not linear.
    Please I need help to solve this problem .
    If any one can attach pictures, this can help me

I am a new friend in the forum.
    This is a common problem with these Breakout boards, when you call for max speed what is the output voltage, and the mid voltage should read 10v max 24,000 RPM and 5v for 12000 RPM

You can make some changes to PD071 Analog Filtering this may give you some adjustments, but Mach3 setting would also have to be correct as well can you post what you have set in Mach3
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    This is a common problem with these Breakout boards, when you call for max speed what is the output voltage, and the mid voltage should read 10v max 24,000 RPM and 5v for 12000 RPM

You can make some changes to PD071 Analog Filtering this may give you some adjustments, but Mach3 setting would also have to be correct as well can you post what you have set in Mach3

Thanks for your help.

I put in mach 3 setting like St v2 manual
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ST-V2.pdf  

Page 1 of 3 123