584,829 active members*
4,991 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Vectric > Cut2D / Cut3D > Diamond Drag simulation barely shows up.

Diamond Drag simulation barely shows up.

I am attempting to use the Diamond Drag tool for an engraving toolpath in Cut2D but when I run the simulation it barely shows up in the material. I have tried different depths and still does not improve.

Can anyone tell me how to get this to work better. Would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Re: Diamond Drag simulation barely shows up.

It depends on your drag cutter. Does it have a spring that provides the downward tension on the tip to metal? Some have a adjustment, others you change the spring. In any event your engraving tip should be below zero or negative an amount that allows the required spring pressure at the engraving tip when it's dragging.

Quote Originally Posted by nodott View Post
    I am attempting to use the Diamond Drag tool for an engraving toolpath in Cut2D but when I run the simulation it barely shows up in the material. I have tried different depths and still does not improve.

Can anyone tell me how to get this to work better. Would really appreciate it.

Thanks
    Are you setting any depth in the tool path ? Usually, when using a spring loaded spindle, one would not set any depth, and allow the depth or pressure to be put down based on your Z zero location.

In this case however, Cut2d will not show the tool actually touching anything. So, what I do is set all the drag tool paths to be .001" depth, then set a color to the tool path. This way, it will show up in the preview.

You can also play with the tool diameters, as this will also affect how the preview will look in comparison to the actual finished product. For drag work, I will set the tool to be .002" regardless of what the actual width will be, simply because the pressure will dictate depth on the machine.
    Chris L

Quote Originally Posted by datac View Post
    Are you setting any depth in the tool path ? Usually, when using a spring loaded spindle, one would not set any depth, and allow the depth or pressure to be put down based on your Z zero location.

In this case however, Cut2d will not show the tool actually touching anything. So, what I do is set all the drag tool paths to be .001" depth, then set a color to the tool path. This way, it will show up in the preview.

You can also play with the tool diameters, as this will also affect how the preview will look in comparison to the actual finished product. For drag work, I will set the tool to be .002" regardless of what the actual width will be, simply because the pressure will dictate depth on the machine.

Yes I have been setting the depth. I even tried a ridiculous depth of .125 and even changed the color but it still barely shows up in the simulation. I do not have this problem when I change it to an engraving bit.

on a side note I even tried the feature Use Nose Cone and that still did not improve the simulation results.

I will play with the widths as you suggested and see if that improves the simulation results.