584,802 active members*
5,071 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Am i on drugs? WIPS

Classic control
    Why isnt the OTS calibration routine putting the reference tool length I have input into the calibration page into the tool offset register number I have given it?

Did it never do this? Have I always manually put it in both spots and just dont remember?

Re: Am i on drugs? WIPS

anybody?

What are you doing exactly? Are you calling g65 p9023 A???

I am not sure what macro the "Intuitive Programming" is using.
    I will check to see what it sticks in the MDI screen when this job is over.

If you're running the OMP probe calibration for the spindle probe (G65 P9023 A21. T##), it should assign the correct height value into the H-register associated with the tool you typed in.

The OTS calibration using the "gauge length" tool (G65 P9023 A21. T##) is used to measure the machine coordinates of the OTS setter's top surface, then those coordinates are assigned to the probe's calibration macros (#582, #583). But there isn't a tool height associated with these, it just effectively shows the TLO for an "empty" spindle. It may be a little different depending on what you're using for a probe gauge length measurement.

update
    we have to remove the OTS often to accommodate a large rotary fixture.
    When reinstalling it today I tried calibrating it through the wips page. It puts macro 9376 into mdi, that calls several other macros and starts taking the 3 hits in Z. After those it bombs out in macro 9852 with "DIVIDE BY ZERO" error.

If I go through VQC instead, it uses 9023. Which also calls 9852 but works fine. all z hits and diameter cal completed.

Obviously something has changed in one of those macros called prior to 9852. Where can I get a reference copy of them?

Are you entering a diameter value somewhere with the wips page?

Quote Originally Posted by erikfriesen View Post
    Are you entering a diameter value somewhere with the wips page?
    yes
    it asks for one, I only put data in the fill-able fields. ran the macro as it was placed into mdi, unmolested

thanks for the link BTW

I think I finally figured it out.
    I changed from V2.8 to the 3.0 macro set, I got it to complete the WIPS calibration one time immediately following that. But not again.
    I messed around with slightly different starting positions and slightly different length numbers, always getting that divide by zero.

The problem appears to be, and have tested it several times.

When starting on the Wips tool setter calibration page you jog down to the top of the setter somewhere around .2 to .4 above it says to press F1 to record the position.
    followed by X and then Y (you should have swept the ots for center before now)

Then comes the offset number, it instructs you on the screen to press "enter" to store the position.
    This is the problem
    You must press F1 here NOT ENTER
    Pressing enter here would cause the divide by zero error everytime I tried it.
    Once I was onto the problem I did find it difficult to then get it back into the failing state, it required entering and exiting the Wips menu I think. "cancel"

Long story short, if you press "F1" on the tool offset field,the cursor it will advance to tool length AND erase any value already in that field. You can then enter the length and press "ENTER"
    and it will advance to diameter. Erasing any value that may have been there before.
    This erasing function is a key indicator that it IS working as intended.

The Wips manual is also incorrect as it states to navigate from the tool number to length with the down arrow. This along with the enter button will both cause the divide by zero alarm.
    The tool length offset register issue I started this thread with was a red herring. Symptom of the F1 omission, not the cause of the cycle not working. But the true cause gets hidden by too many solutions applied at once.

Can I ask why you're using WIP instead of VQC? Is there a benefit I'm missing out of by using VQC?

Please, no criticism here. Just curious. The last post seemed like a lot more work than I would like (I am lazy after all).

No reason, The VQC tab is at the far right. WIP is one from the left. :rainfro:

The only difference is storing the X Y Z locations, and the apparent need to know which button to press. Which is not the one they tell you to press.

I am glad VQC was available as a back up. I am getting ready to add probing to a Mori horizontal and I dont think it has any aids like this. Visual aid. Not the other kind.

Lol. Yeah, you're right. The VQC tab is way over to the right.

Quote Originally Posted by generaldisarray View Post
    I think I finally figured it out.
    I changed from V2.8 to the 3.0 macro set, I got it to complete the WIPS calibration one time immediately following that. But not again.
    I messed around with slightly different starting positions and slightly different length numbers, always getting that divide by zero.

The problem appears to be, and have tested it several times.

When starting on the Wips tool setter calibration page you jog down to the top of the setter somewhere around .2 to .4 above it says to press F1 to record the position.
    followed by X and then Y (you should have swept the ots for center before now)

Then comes the offset number, it instructs you on the screen to press "enter" to store the position.
    This is the problem
    You must press F1 here NOT ENTER
    Pressing enter here would cause the divide by zero error everytime I tried it.
    Once I was onto the problem I did find it difficult to then get it back into the failing state, it required entering and exiting the Wips menu I think. "cancel"

Long story short, if you press "F1" on the tool offset field,the cursor it will advance to tool length AND erase any value already in that field. You can then enter the length and press "ENTER"
    and it will advance to diameter. Erasing any value that may have been there before.
    This erasing function is a key indicator that it IS working as intended.

The Wips manual is also incorrect as it states to navigate from the tool number to length with the down arrow. This along with the enter button will both cause the divide by zero alarm.
    The tool length offset register issue I started this thread with was a red herring. Symptom of the F1 omission, not the cause of the cycle not working. But the true cause gets hidden by too many solutions applied at once.

Thanks for figuring this one out. It does the same thing for me. It would 'divide by zero.' If I hadn't read your post, I'd probably be asking wth is going on!
    Cheers!