584,871 active members*
5,457 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Fog Buster If you have one, questions?

Fog Buster If you have one, questions?

I am looking at the Fog Buster to use. I am curious, does it throw chips all over the enclosure? Can you use the same coolant that you would use for flood in the Fog Buster tank? What size is the ID of the tubing used to the nozzle? Not real sure if it is a better way to go over flood. Any input from those who have one would be nice.

Thanks

Re: Fog Buster If you have one, questions?

Yes, the FogBuster throws chips all over the place. Mine would routinely throw a solid stream of chips 8-10 feet. The whole idea is a very high-velocity, highly-directed stream of mist. It does a great job of clearing chips, IF you can keep it aimed properly, and IF you're not cutting deep slots or pockets. It's also noisy. You absolutely DO NOT use normal flood coolant. It puts a great deal of mist into the air, so you WILL be breathing whatever fluid you use. KoolMist 77 works well, and is non-toxic. You NEED to use a coolant that evaporates easily, as that is what causes 90% of the cooling effect with a FogBuster. Oil-based flood coolants will work poorly. Then again, KoolMist SUCKS for drilling, tapping and some other operations. It is a coolant, NOT a lubricant.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Ray, Thanks for letting me know! From what you are saying flood coolant is more than likely a better way to go. Do you recall what the ID of the hose used to the nozzle (Mixing Chamber) on that Fog Buster is?

Hose size on a real FogBuster is, IIRC, 1/8". But the host size is really not important. Flow rate is very low, and flow is determined by the mixing nozzle, not the hose.

Regards,
    Ray L.

OK thanks. I am looking at one that us used and the guy does not have the hose so would need to buy some hose for it. He is getting rid of stuff as going with commercial machine.

I've never used the commercial unit but I built one 5-6 years ago for my G0704. I use a 1/8" OD/ 1/16" ID nylon tube inside a 1/4" Loc-Line as the nozzle. I run it at 90PSI but it isn't too loud. You do need some kind of enclosure. Mine throws chips about 5-6 feet. I do slotting/pocketing with it and it does a decent job of clearing the chips IF you have the nozzle pointed almost vertically down the side of the tool. If you set it up properly is won't cause the air to get humid. You need to set the mixture so that you can just see water droplets on a piece of cardboard 12" away from the nozzle. Any more than that is too much for milling. I do crank up the coolant to a light stream when I'm drilling to help cool the drill. Ray is correct that KoolMist is not a lubricant though.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/uncate...nt-mister.html

What kind of airflow does a fogbuster need? How many SCFM at 90 PSI?

Quote Originally Posted by genixia View Post
    What kind of airflow does a fogbuster need? How many SCFM at 90 PSI?
    You can run 100 PSI to your Fog Buster, then turn the spray nozzles down to 12 to 15 PSI. I ran my dual nozzle Fog Buster on a 2 horsepower Home Depot compressor with a 30 gallon tank and that compressor only came on about once an hour.

I was told when I started using the Fog Buster, if you can see the mist coming out of the nozzles, then you’re using too much coolant.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.