585,741 active members*
5,223 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > iPad App for PathPilot with custom HAL component - iPendant
Page 3 of 3 123

Post Re: iPad App for PathPilot with custom HAL component - iPendant

The iPendant is now available in the App Store. The screenshot user's guide also on the site.

For next major update already in the pipeline:
    - Add IP Camera feed. This is activated when the screen dim while a gcode program is running. (with Audio). Camera can be positioned to look at PP main screen if certain messages are important, or it can be looking at the work piece. I am already testing this setup with the App, will make a video of it soon.
    - Add a decoder to transfer/Sync tool database from LinuxCNC & PathPilot to the iPad.
    - Add Custom Pins page similar to Custom Buttons, this can bring in custom data such as Temperature, Pressure, Flow readings and also output Custom control to IO devices or other custom functions.
    - Offer HAL pins to accompany current virtual keyboard functions, this gives developers and custom installers full control over using this App for any machine running native LinuxCNC/MachineKit.

Please do subscribe to the mailing list to receive iPendant related development.

Installation pack is ready but will be offered via email for now until any teething issues (if any) come up and resolved.

I actually do not expect any issues with installation on actual controllers considering the changes being made are just few lines. Please PM or send email via the site.

http://MicrokitSolutions.com

Re: iPad App for PathPilot with custom HAL component - iPendant

I wanted to congratulate @narrobb on his work. I've been playing with the iPendant and it works as advertised. Install was dead simple. And with a few edits to the install files, I was able to get it running on the beta version of V2.0.2 that's on my mill. The custom buttons are easy to set up and are very handy. I was able to stop a running program with no noticeable latency. Good job!
    Tormach PCNC 1100 Series 3 w/ Rapid Turn, Fusion 360

Quote Originally Posted by sharmstr View Post
    I wanted to congratulate @narrobb on his work. I've been playing with the iPendant and it works as advertised. Install was dead simple. And with a few edits to the install files, I was able to get it running on the beta version of V2.0.2 that's on my mill. The custom buttons are easy to set up and are very handy. I was able to stop a running program with no noticeable latency. Good job!
    Thank you sharmstr. Appreciate you taking the time to post your experience. I am glad you liked the Custom Button page. Personally I am using it to access the excellent probing routines you released.

Here is a preview of the IP Camera update for next release of iPendant. This is using a $35 IP Camera which supports rtsp:// address feed over the network. Running on USB extension from the PC. Almost all other IP cameras would work as the code accepts most IP feeds.
    Obviously the IP feed is direct between the Camera and the iPad, it does not route via the CNC controller.

App & Installation scripts now confirmed running on all Tormach machines (440, 770 & 1100). Although, the 440 has its own specific Installation Pack due to the way HAL files & ini files are handled in the 440.

Tool descriptions sync is next.

https://youtu.be/r6VY4UFE7cI

iPendant latest update.

This update brings three advance features:

1. Sync Tool Descriptions.

2. Disable/Enable Diagonal Jogging mode

3. IP Camera support. This is enabled while the machine is cutting and allows watching/hearing the machine during cutting operation via the App.

Also, beta testers who have access to PathPilot Beta 2.0.2 are reporting no changes required to iServer installation script and the App is working as intended with single line installation.

Apparently the next PP update is just around the corner.

Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/IblOuUQR6Xs

I kept seeing this thread come up, and now with the last two posts I am going to HAVE to install it

I'll have to steal my daughters ipad, since I only have an ipad2 which cant get ios 10+

I've already got a camera mounted in my enclosure too!!!

Will you be publishing a version for android?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve303 View Post
    Will you be publishing a version for android?
    Will be great to have an android edition, though I don't have experience with android development. Server side won't change and I don't mind compiling a server side for Android if any developer wants to take that part, get in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by joshetect View Post
    I kept seeing this thread come up, and now with the last two posts I am going to HAVE to install it

I'll have to steal my daughters ipad, since I only have an ipad2 which cant get ios 10+

I've already got a camera mounted in my enclosure too!!!
    Sure she won't mind if you get her the latest one first

What about an iPhone? Do you have one and I assume it has 10+ if you do?

Been thinking of enabling iPhone screen (within same App, if iPhone detected then it loads the iPhone screens) but with limited functionalities, maybe jogging, some fast buttons for probing, Ref and such. Just enough component to fill iPhone size screen without adding complexity. Advantage if someone has both iPad and iPhone then full functionality on iPad, and just fast functionality on iPhone. I am still gauging the interest so anyone with iPhone and wants this please do post here or send PM. Also, please do mention what functionality would be the bare minimum and what is absolute necessary (from within the available functions of the iPad edition)

lol, she's 4, she can deal. You know you are a parent when your kid has a brand new ipad and you have an 6 year old one.

I could do my iphone, I have a SE.

For an iphone, if there was jogging and the ability to cancel a program that would be sufficient I think.

I downloaded it today, will hopefully update pathpilot to 2.0.2 today and get everything setup tonight.

Thank you.

I can confirm the same install script, App & iServer modules works fully with 2.0.2 without any changes required. For those who already installed it on 2.0.1. Just update to 2.0.2 as usual, and run the install script again.

I will release the iServer Installation Pack today. Also, the App Update will be released later in the day. Do please update the App from the store later on when you can see the Installation pack available for download. I've been receiving emails to get the Installation pack for those who are interested and was waiting for 2.0.2 to be released to make sure no changes required before the public release of the installation pack.

Now that 2.0.2 is released, the installation pack will be available and this gives everyone the ability to try the free test to make sure everything is working before unlocking the App.

Quote Originally Posted by narrobb View Post
    Sure she won't mind if you get her the latest one first

What about an iPhone? Do you have one and I assume it has 10+ if you do?

Been thinking of enabling iPhone screen (within same App, if iPhone detected then it loads the iPhone screens) but with limited functionalities, maybe jogging, some fast buttons for probing, Ref and such. Just enough component to fill iPhone size screen without adding complexity. Advantage if someone has both iPad and iPhone then full functionality on iPad, and just fast functionality on iPhone. I am still gauging the interest so anyone with iPhone and wants this please do post here or send PM. Also, please do mention what functionality would be the bare minimum and what is absolute necessary (from within the available functions of the iPad edition)

I've been using the CNC iPendant app on my iPad Pro for a while now, it had been running smooth on iOS 10 however as I have upgraded to iOS 11.3 now whenever I open the app it only loads a white blank screen on startup and crashes itself automatically. Any idea how to get it working?

If it was me, i'd start by deleting the app, then reinstalling it.

Quote Originally Posted by vikaskundu View Post
    I've been using the CNC iPendant app on my iPad Pro for a while now, it had been running smooth on iOS 10 however as I have upgraded to iOS 11.3 now whenever I open the app it only loads a white blank screen on startup and crashes itself automatically. Any idea how to get it working?

I can confirm 11.3 fully working with no issue with iPendant, just tested it on three different iPads. Full reboot of the iPad (not just power off and on) by holding Home & Power button continuously until the logo appears and trying to delete the App itself then download again from the App store could be something to try. Here is a short video.

Anyway, on the other hand, having said the above, the iPendant Server module is not publicly released yet and the only way to get it was by sending an email to receive the installation pack. I personally been communicating and talking to everyone who sent me an email asking for it and I keep checking with them throughout this first phase of the app. As I mentioned on the website, the requirements to send us an email requesting the installation pack is to closely monitor initial installations and to get information about which iPad, iOS version, CNC Controller version and so on is being used.

To me, I would have thought anyone with an issue with any program would first email the provider rather than creating a new user account and ask on a forum considering all current users received the pack personally from my email. But that is just me, to each their own

On the odd chance that you did receive an installation pack and did purchase to unlock all the App features, and still do not want to communicate directly via email with me, then do please try the above and if still not working, then please do take a short video showing the crash, and most importantly send us the App reference number issued when unlock to allow us to look at the reason for this crash from within the Apple Server development platform. If a new edition of iOS causes the app to crash, we will be getting automatic report from Apple about this so developers are aware if any new iOS broke a feature within an App that was compiled for an older iOS.

The latest iPendant App now live on the App Store.

https://youtu.be/h99SsAz4kqc

Got this installed and running this weekend. Works great man, love it.

Do you know when the camera support is going to be added? (unless it is and I missed it)

Thank you. That's great.

Note v1.5.2 just hit the App Store. Please do update it. This fixes all reported issues with layout on the iPad Pro 12", and also other touch screen issues we received.

Camera mode shows up when you start cutting. Do you see a use for it when the machine is not cutting? I can include that in next release. I think I am going to add few iPhone screens next month.

App won't find your camera automatically, the correct local Camera URL needs to be typed. It will be saved for next time, but first time you need to put the correct URL and wait few seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by joshetect View Post
    Got this installed and running this weekend. Works great man, love it.

Do you know when the camera support is going to be added? (unless it is and I missed it)

iPendant iPad App is cleared for PP 2.0.3. No changes or update required, just upgrade to PP 2.0.3 and when the machine reboots into 2.0.3, use the same installation script. There is not need to Revert to the old backup files as new PP uses new directory and new files. Installation script adds the needed lines in-place.

Page 3 of 3 123