584,874 active members*
5,473 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Please advise

I am starting a desktop cnc router. I was given an Arduino, a cnc shield and 3 Nema 17 steppers. As I understand it the arduino must use GRBL via the USB port.what other open source software do I need? Can Mach 3 run with an Arduino? Could you please list with purpose of the software. eg Mach 3 is what I would call the user interface.

Re: Please advise

Hey dude. So I'm very novice to all this and it sounds like you are as well, so I'll try and answer this simply (since that's the only way I can).

Everything you need to know about using Arduino and grbl is here https://github.com/gnea/grbl/wiki.

Keep in mind the right nav is not well organized so just read all of it.

Your questions are mixing up software and hardware a bit.

Software:
    Usually, the workflow for diyers is something like:
    1. Cad - designs your part
    2. Cam - sets tool paths, etc fusion 360 is interested CAD and CAM, is free for hobbies, and massively person so tends to be a favorite. There are many options here.
    3. Machine interface - as far as I know, other than proprietary language for industrial machines, all computers talk to cncs with g-code. Here is when the big architectural decision is to be made between Mach 3 (sends over serial Port) or an open source g code sender (usually USB). There is a list on the wiki lined above to get your started. These have varying degrees of UI and capability. When you send over serial, the different motor drivers, directions, steps, etc are already broken out on the 25 different pins. Anything USB needs some form of breakout.

Hardware:
    For serial interfaces, you can technically go direct to hardware someone else can speak to this better as I know close to nothing about Mach 3. I use a Mac, haven't owned a serial Port in decades, and don't want to spend the money for Mach 3. But I digress.

For USB / open source g code sender, this is where an Arduino is used to consume the raw g-code from your computer. Think of grbl as the firmware for the Arduino controller. It takes raw g code and then interfaces the motor drivers, limit switches, etc.

In short, while you certainly could use Mach 3 with an Arduino, I don't really think there is a reason to.

One note. This forum is full of pretty advanced users. I just jumped in because I know how hard the initial info can be to uncover since everyone is usually already in one camp. I'm sure my explanation is not as precise as many would like, but I think it will send you in the right direction.

Very short version: forget Mach 3 with the machine you will be building based on your motors and drivers. Chilipeppr or universal g-code sender (UGS or UGCS) seem to be the most popular.

Would love others to jump in with alternative architectures.

Good luck.

Re: Please advise

GRBL is not supported on Mach3. It would be great, but is is not.
    Mach3 uses a parallel port, not a serial port.
    Arduin (GRBL) is communicating using a virtual serial port on the USB port. If you add a serial to Bluetooth converter or a serial to WiFi converter on both sides, you can have a wireless connection. I have used both and prefer WiFi. However, Bluetooth is easier to setup.