585,992 active members*
5,238 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Weight of mobile parts

I wish to construct the big table for plasma cnc. I collect the information and I analyze it. I have constructed more than 20 machine tools and machines, but I never built cnc. I consider, that for plasma loading, only inertia of parts of the machine are sharp important small weight of mobile parts/inertia/is absent. But I do not understand, why almost everyone do heavy machine tools?

What do you mean by "heavy"? Most plasma machines I've seen are very lightweight for the reasons you mentioned.

A 4'x8' (1200 x 2400mm) capacity table is typically well under 1000 lbs. Compare this to similar sized machining centers that weigh 20,000 lbs.

[QUOTE=Zumba;281951]What do you mean by "heavy"? Most plasma machines I've seen are very lightweight for the reasons you mentioned.

A 4'x8' (1200 x 2400mm) capacity table is typically well under 1000 lbs.ompare this to similar sized machining centers that weigh 20,000 lbs.[/

I mean only weight of Y- axis Gantry .I consider, that this main thing. Capacity of motors depends on weight and therefore capacity of electronics and therefore the price. The weight of a table has no value. It it is possible will make even of concrete. It is necessary to do Y-axis Gantry even easier. To clean motors from it and to use other technical decisions. Unified aluminium a structure well, but original Y- axis Gantry is better. Nobody can tell what weight is optimum. How will run Y-axis Gantry if it will be 20 pounds weigh?
    I mean only a plasma table.

Oleg, Kak pogoda y vas?

Take a look at this mobile plasma/oxy cutter pretty trick!
    http://www.steeltailor.com/

Small light and portable, would be a great item for any metal fab shop.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by DennisCNC View Post
    Oleg, Kak pogoda y vas?

Privet,y nac dozhdi,tocka.
    SteelTailor P is Very beautiful !!!
    Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DennisCNC View Post
    Oleg, Kak pogoda y vas?

Only Z Axis Manually Adjustable, Inclinable.The original design always is the compromise.I know as to get rid of lacks. I have drawn figure.I have sent on e-mail the letter to the engineer Philippe Glaude
    with the enclosed figure how to modernize the SteelTailor P, to make its more mobile and convenient on manufacture.
    Now I think, that it not modernization, and essentially other design.This design can work with a water table and move on manufacture. The weight will be no more than 100 kg.. It is obligatory to include THC.
    Attached Files Attached Files

All greetings!
    I think, that the offered scheme of plasma CNC meets my industrial requirements.
    I was defined with a design plasma CNC. Portable plasma CNC should not mean simply and cheaply. I think, that definition portable plasma CNC bears any defective sense. I think, that it is wrong. The main thing to provide productivity and a production efficiency.
    The important factor is a zone of service-area borrowed by the equipment and materials. A floor space very dear. It can cost more expensively the equipment.
    I think to make plasma with the working size 1.5 on 3.5 meters.
    The weight of a design will be about 80 kg. I think to use a rotary axis X and rotary legs for reduction of a dimension in a non-working condition. I wish to refuse a separate axis Z and to move on height on 0.3 meters all axis X in gathering.For this purpose I wish to use telescopic linear directing.
    . It will make a design of more universal. We can cut metal sheets of any sizes.
    If to cut very heavy metal sheets the heavy table is necessary. What for?
    I think, that it is inefficient to build heavy tables/even of 400 kg/. The metal leaf can be put on a floor through cheap linings. It is fair only for industrial production.
    And still. To me it is thought, that linings which lay on a floor, it is easier to replace or repair than the linings established on a plasma table.
    I ask to make criticism to my conclusions and a design. I never built and did not maintain plasma CNC.