584,866 active members*
5,043 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mach4 upgrade

I've finally given in and upgraded to Mach4 on my 2012 Patriot after running Mach3 very satisfactorily for years. It's a laborious process as everything is different.

My question has to do with spindle control. Under Mach3 and Mach 4 with the Gecko540, spindle control is on Pin14. I've set it to index and pulse frequency for speed monitoring. However, when I issue, say, M3 s500, nothing happens. I know my spindle works under manual VFD control, and in Mach 3. Not sure what is going on here? Has anyone gone to Mach4 yet?

Joe

Re: Mach4 upgrade

February 19, 2018

Joe

Did you get your problem resolved? I switched to Mach 4 about a year ago. What motion controller are you using? I'm using UC100 USB motion controller. I believe there is a spindle setup tab that needs to be configured. I had problems at first and was able to resolve them. I'm not presently at my machine but if you have not resolved this by Wednesday I can look a my settings and get back to you. I also tried the PoKeys57CNCDB25 motion controller but was never able to get it to work. I also tried the PMDX411 and was not able to get it to work either. What I don't like about the UC100 is that it does not support backlash control.

I have a 2015 Mill-Turn.

Anyway, let me know if you still need help and I'll do what I can.

Britt

Hi Brett

Actually, I am using a PMDX411 matched to a Gecko540 and the NOWFOREVER 100ES VFD on my 2012 Shopmaster Patriot Mill-Turn. Currenty, I believe that the CNC gurus at Artsoft and PMDX don't believe we should fix backlash compensation in the software, but rather fix the cause of the problem in the hardware. A noble htought, but easier said than done.

Looks like unless PMDX changed something this is a problem for Steve over there to solve!

Joe

What I don't like about the UC100 is that it does not support backlash control.
    It actually support backlash control with mach4.

Quote Originally Posted by Lajtinek View Post
    It actually support backlash control with mach4.
    Oh, okay, good to know. Thanks.

Here's an update on the lathe spindle speed issue:

Steve Stallings of PMDX recreated the same issue on their lathe. Here is his reply:

>>>I have reproduced your problem on a system here.

>>>Everything works properly on a Mill configuration using a G540 config
    >>>with PWM on pin 14.

>>>When I run a Lathe configuration, I see symptoms similar to what
    >>>you described.

>>>W>hen I take our sample Mill profile and set it to Lathe Diameter mode
    >>>>it does seem to work. Something is fishy here.....

A few days later Steve came back with the following work around:

>>>>Open the page at Config > Mach and it will default to the General tab.

>>>>In the second column of options at the bottom is a block called Spindle Mode.

>>>>Click on Constant RPM and the Apply.

>>>>This should make it possible to control your spindle speed. It does not
    >>>>solve the issue of how to actually do Constant Surface Speed. I am looking
    >>>>into how that works. Seems very few people know and I need to talk to the
    >>>>right guy at MachSupport.

So, here I am on MachSupport!

I am running March 4 Build #3481 with a PMDX411 SmartBob [Rev A PCB] with SmartBob USB PlugIn version 0.52.254, SmartBob USB Bootloader version 1.13.73, and SmartBob USB Firmware version 0.58.205.

Any ideas, anyone?

Joe

I made a post with a video and the code I used to get CSS underMach3. Try searching for that. Shouldn't be any difference in the gcode.

Here is a link to jlmccuan's thread which helped me greatly in understanding how to use CSS with Mach 3 turn.

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/shopm...d-cnc-css.html

Quote Originally Posted by brittf View Post
    February 19, 2018

Joe

Did you get your problem resolved? I switched to Mach 4 about a year ago. What motion controller are you using? I'm using UC100 USB motion controller. I believe there is a spindle setup tab that needs to be configured. I had problems at first and was able to resolve them. I'm not presently at my machine but if you have not resolved this by Wednesday I can look a my settings and get back to you. I also tried the PoKeys57CNCDB25 motion controller but was never able to get it to work. I also tried the PMDX411 and was not able to get it to work either. What I don't like about the UC100 is that it does not support backlash control.

I have a 2015 Mill-Turn.

Anyway, let me know if you still need help and I'll do what I can.

Britt

Hi Britton
    I have a shopmaster patriot and just downloaded mach4 with a uc100 controler. 2 questions
    Did you hookup the uc100 direct or us anot he adapter?

What downloads did you need to make it work with the patriot?

I need all the help I can get.
    Thanks John