584,849 active members*
3,940 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Vertical Mill, Lathe Project Log > King 10x22/Grizzly G0602 CNC conversion with full enclosure

King 10x22/Grizzly G0602 CNC conversion with full enclosure

A few years ago I decided that my CNC Taig mill was not enough and I would like a CNC lathe. Since I had done the conversion on the Taig myself, I thought it would be a fun, quick project to convert a lathe to CNC. Fun: yes, quick: no .

As I was living in a town house at the time with my shop in the basement, I needed a manual candidate that I could get down the stairs and the King 10x22 seemed to fit the bill. Its belt drive and lack of a quick change gear box made the conversion easier.

My plan was the following:
    1. remove all of the manual controls/gears
    2. DC servos driving ball screws
    3. Replace spindle drive with a 3phase motor and VFD
    4. Add automatic oiling to all moving surfaces
    5. Full enclosure with flood coolant capability
    6. Spindle encoder

Well, after 3 years I have a functional CNC lathe. Now I just need to do the finishing touches...

Attached are some pictures of the current state of the lathe. The chess set was fully machined on the lathe (with the exception of the top of the Rook) out of brass and 304 stainless.

I took some pictures during the build and will be posting the details as I find time
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3d_model.png   Cover_closed_headstock.jpg   Cover_open_tailstock.jpg   Cross_slide.jpg  

Electronics_slide.jpg   Coolant_oilsystem_slide.jpg   chess_set.jpg  

Hello,
    Not many in the zone retrofitting with servo. How big servo motor you installed? Do your lathe have threading capability, do you use pulse counter or encoder feedback?

I'm about to do something similar but using AC servos. I'm also interested in what motors you used, any belt "gearing" info, and what axis speeds you achieved.

Love the "slide outs". Very cool!

Very nice job. Kudos.

bob

Thanks for the comments!

As requested more info on the servos:

Motor: NEMA 23 KL-23-130-60 from Automation Technology
    Drive: Gecko G320X
    Encoder: CUI AMT102V, set to 1024ppr
    Power supply: 60Vdc/20A linear (KL-6020)
    Belt reduction: 5:1, HTD belt/pully

The motor has 350oz-in peak torque and 50oz-in constant torque. The G320X is set to 1x multiplier mode, so with the 5mm ball screw lead, I end up with ~104000 steps per inch. There is also enough torque to shear off a 3/8" HSS tool without stalling. This of course, is complete overkill and if I were to do it again, I would drop the reduction ratio to 2:1 or 3:1 and likely use a smaller motor as well. Note that I am using hardware step generation so a 200kHz step rate is not a problem for me.

For rapids, the servos top out at about 120ipm and I have it soft limited at 100ipm to allow some margin. 100ipm is about as high as I am comfortable going with the plain ways on this machine. Things also go wrong much faster than I can react

I also highly recommend the CUI encoders as I originally had the US digital optical encoders and had significant issues. This is even with the differential line drivers on the US digital ones. Once I switched to the CUI, I did not have further problems.

There is some dithering noise when the system is idle, but the Geckos are fairly easy to tune. I just wish they had a dead-band so they would go completely quiet.