584,833 active members*
5,542 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

HC CNC Conversion

I just picked up a Hardinge HC that I'm going to be converting to CNC. Planning on using LinuxCNC with a MESA 7i96 controller. I converted an old Gorton mill a while back that I'm going to use the steppers and drivers off of because I have a Milltronics Partner 1 now. They are 906 OZ/In, should be big enough.

The lathe is missing a few pieces that I'm looking for if anyone has or knows where I can get them. It's missing the center turret shaft, the shaft/gear that goes between the gears on the turret lever and the turret itself, the lower turret bearing and spacer. It's also missing the draw bar setup. It has the hydraulic closer unit, but not the cylinder or tube. The taper is in the spindle though.

After looking closer at the machine yesterday I'm wondering if I should put two ball screws on the Z axis saddle, one on each side? It has one rack & gear stock so one would probably be fine with one, but would 2 be better?

As for the spindle motor, what would be best for it? Would it be possible to control the existing variable speed setup with CNC or should I just go with a VFD? I'm worried about low end torque with the VFD though.

My plan for the tool changer is to have a cylinder control the lock lever and a small stepper turn the helical gear to rotate it. I'm thinking a limit switch to orient it to tool 1 & have the controller remember where it is.

Thanks!

Mike

Re: HC CNC Conversion

Give these guys a try. They specialize in retrofitting Hardinge lathes.
    Dynamic Machine

Thanks, I'll see if they can help.

Does anyone know anything about this collet closer? I started taking it apart tonight and found that it's going to need rebuilt, at least if I can find the end that goes on the spindle. I'm not even sure what it's called.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I found an AHC not too far away that I can probably get for 5 or 6 hundred. This machine has been sitting in a shop for a good while but is in good shape and isn't missing anything. They stopped using it because of a bad seal on the turret. Would I be better off converting this machine? How much trouble would it be to replace the cylinders with ball screws?
    I'm not having any luck finding the turret parts for the HC.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk