584,833 active members*
5,717 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

long chang machinery mill

i have found a mill for sale locally and it sounds like a good deal, but i have never heard of the comany b4. i was hoping someone on here would know information about the machine or where to find some because i cant find any at all.

long chang machinery co ltd
    drilling milling machine
    type lc-30a
    mfg # 48462
    drilling capacity 1 1/4
    spindle feed travel 5"

thats what it said on the machine, and thats all i really know.
    i was talking to a guy at the machine shop that shares the same builing as my work and he said the owner would sell it to me for about 500. they dont use it anymore and need more space. he said it is an older machine and still in pretty good shape. the thing is about 6 and a half feet tall if that help at all also.

any info at all would help

when the descirption says 'mill / drill' I would assume a lighter duty piece...a easier way to tell is rough weight, or just by description whether or not it has a sheet steel stand [light], or cast iron base [better]..
    I have never heard of that brand [but that doen't really mean much..]

..enjoy..

did a quick search with avant...
    check out http://www.first.com.tw/produc-20.htm
    they don'y show 30 series, maybe old product..
    if it looks like the photo, might be a pretty good deal...

too bad it's so far away from me..

..enjoy..

its defenitly older, and as far as the weight goes im not really sure i know it fairly heavy. i think you can take it off the stand. i only had about 1 min to look at it. keep in mind i know nothing about larger mills.

just wondering if it was worth buying. the machinest told me its still in pretty good shape. theres no dro or anything with it. just and older manual mill .

if it turns out on monday that it seems like a good buy i think ill get it and if its possible i would like to cnc it. not to sure if theres a big difference between converting a mill this size compared to a mini

thanks for the help.
    if i do find anything out ill post it so u can see

i just found one eaither very close or identical on australian ebay the final bid was AU $1,045.00

heres his description

This is my old machine which I have replaced with a Bridgeport. It was made by the Long Chang Machinery Company in Taiwan, before we started getting rubbish out of China and India. It is 6 feet high, with a 24" x 9.5" bed. It has a 2HP 3 phase motor, belt drive with 12 speeds. The head takes #3 Morse tool holder. An Osborne tool holder with 4 collets is supplied. This is a great machine which has had little use over the years andis still in excellent condition. Please note that this is a very heavy piece of equipment and should be moved by a professional mover unless you have some beefy mates. Local pickup only, but I can help with organising transportation at buyers expense. Email me with any questions or additional pics.

im going to try to post the pics he had

the stand he has on his is different then the one they have at work. the one at work is one solid cast piece, maby with storage in it. im not sure
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6cb3_1.jpg   6d65_1.jpg   6e30_1.jpg   6f1a_1.jpg  

6fb6_1.jpg  

Hi chris, I know this an old thread, I have just aquired a LC-30a did you end up buying the one in this thread. I am trying to get some info diagrams operating maual etc. mine needs lots of restoring but it cost nothing so it will be an interesting project, info is very scarce

i did buy this mill but i dont have any information on it. i treid to find stuf about it for quite some time and i have not found anything at all. I actually moved to the other side of canada and its still in alberta and im going to try to sell it i belive.

chris...
    your old long chang mill finally made it to yorkton...
    Your friend and a few others charged my cousin $100 to winch it down from the attic, I think the fee was for the beer fund...
    I made a stand for it today, there didn't seem to be one in the attic at pickup time, and hopefuly will get it re-assembeled tomorrow...
    I will hunt on ebay for the hand rods, and new pulleys as the origional ones got scuffed [broken] during the winching..
    I have some tooling left over from an older rong fu mill of similar size, but the long chang seems to be built a bit better, and definitely heavier...

Re: long chang machinery mill

Hi,
    Just purchases a Long Chang LC30A, like the one pictured. I cannot get the quill wheel to engage (the small one on the front for machining). I simply see no way of engaging it. Any help would be appreciated.

cheers

it's on a slide .. in and out on a spline .. one way is free, other is active

Hmmm... Maybe it's ceased. I'm a little reluctant to persuade it too harshly. I'll play with it more tomorrow. Thanks a million. BTW, I'm in Edmonton.

Hey vladdy,

I've worked on this, but I can't get anything to move in an out. Do you have a picture of what it looks like when it has been slid on the splines, so I can see what I'm hoping to achieve?

Eureka! I've got it.

I've just 'inherited' one of these. I'm renting space in a shop, and there's one in the shop that was used for a single setup in the old owner's production.

The head handle (handle for the vertical head movement, the big crank that engages a rack on the column, not the quill) moves half a turn, which I assume is the gear lash, and can't be turned further. Is there something I need to loosen?

wazza187 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lightningpower View Post
    Eureka! I've got it.
    Could you elaborate on what you did?
    I've just acquired an LC-30A, and I am also struggling to figure out how to engage the fine feed.....

Quote Originally Posted by wazza187 View Post
    Could you elaborate on what you did?
    I've just acquired an LC-30A, and I am also struggling to figure out how to engage the fine feed.....
    Vertically? The quill can be fed with the large control on side with a hub and multiple spokes, each with a ball, on right side

The gross height adjustment is to loosen the two bolts that run through the unit right to left, to nuts, just behind the column, and crank up and down with the crank on left

the side handle that moves the entire head up and down drives on the the vertical rack, you have to loosen the two? clamp bolts that squeeze the head tight onto the round vertical column .... the fine feed is actuated by a sliding splined collar just to the inside of the side [coarse] feed wheel, moves in and out ...

wazza187 Guest
    Thanks for the replies.
    I finally had a chance to sit down and play with it, got quill fine feed engaged, it wasn't like any manuals I've found on similar models...
    I've attached pictures, basically I had to undo two bolts and rotate the fine feed shaft down, then do the two bolts up again..

Since I have the attention of some LC-30A users, does anyone know the specs of the original drawbar? And where to get a replacement? Or if another make's drawbar fits? Found my one is a home made brazed-together Frankenstein.... It's about 16 3/4"...

wazza187 Guest
    Wow, Long Chang themselves responded to an email and sent me a scan of a (30 yo?) manual! I'll post it here since this is one of the few threads I've found regarding this LC-30A mill, it's also for the LC-15A mill..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LC15  LC30 MANUAL.pdf  

Hey, thanks for the manual, both to you and to Long Chang! (group)(group)

Page 1 of 2 12